11/05/2005 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwhip
    Not everyone is as tough as you. :violent1:

yeah, some are complete whimps :phil2:
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 10:33pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not whimps,
    just metrosexuals. :walk:

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 11:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    I'm confused, JFS: you're NOT supposed to warmup/stretch before training? Can you explain why this is? I'm actually quite curious, I alway thought that doing the warmups loosened the muscles and reduced injury.
    That was the conventional Wisdom for quite some time ... not any more. Run through some of the things you do about 1/2 speed making sure to get a full range of motion a bit before going at it. For ballistic based activities this is all the "warm up" and "stretching" you need.

Static stretching and the like really don't prepare the body for the explosive change in angle of lever arm (movement through a joint) typical of the things we do. It's useless as the recruitment pattern speed is far too low to transfer to the target activity.

Most of the injuries and muscle sprains I've had are the product of not stretching before attempting to kick things.
    Nope, you are wrong. A Sprain is a stretch and/or tear of a ligament. Sprains involve joints and the attending connective tissues.

On the other hand, a Strain is an injury to either a muscle or a tendon.

A Sprain is caused by from sudden, unexpected rapid force loading that forces a joint out of its normal position and stretches or tears the ligament(s) supporting that joint.

Most peeps completely neglect to develop their stabilizers and that's not a real good way to go.

Muscular imbalance is another often times undetected culprit.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    A lot of my sparring is done outside on an inclined surface, or on a flat, dusty surface. There are a few reasons for this. The incline changes the dynamics of movement and balance... and in unarmed combat it isn't necessarily always good to have the high ground. Its worth training this to see what works better based on your relative position. The dusty ground (loose fine dirt) allows for a situation where sweeps are much more effective. You have to be really careful and fight with a different set of tactics.

Anyway, its worth doing simply to get people thinking about different environments and to make things interesting.
    Good stuff, IAP.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Certainly warming up, as in simply exercising the get the blood pumping, reduces injuries, and I don't think anyone argues otherwise. However stretching , though it certainly increases flexibility is, at best, unproven for injury prevention.

First post! Yay, or something.
    Damn Dude, right on point, "CONGRATS" to the Noob. Welcome to Bullshido ... where things are a bit ... different.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 11:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Thanks guys, the pic was taken by ...
    **** you ... you little twit. I posted a compliment and you posted pure diss on the Throwdown Thread. Come this Summer thing ... I'm going eat your damned lunch and spit it back in your face. You are history ... BITCH. :spanky:

Way cool pic and it's evident that it wasn't some clown with a camera that shot it.
    Might even become the standard. :XXhesitan

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/05/2005 11:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Right, fair enough. It must just be the TKD then; almost every time I've tried to exert myself without adequately stretching I've gotten some pretty horrible muscle sprains in my back and legs where you actually feel your muscle just "tick" and suddenly everything goes grainy and you can't move.

Can this be alleviated by warm-ups?
    Dude, you have serious muscle imbalance. Go to a Sports Science person so they can test - identify - and give you a corrective program.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234