Old School DM

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I worked out in a Vargas (evil demon trickster nut biter) and Gaylord (Mr. Mellow and wise, got his 9th dan from Sijo Emperado himself, hard hitter and flowing moves that ended with a dislocated joint) school for years. I see that you are being "funny." Can I kick you for that?

Hey, you gotta admit that in a field that is overflowing with ninjas, eye gouging stone cold killers, and people using their chi to stop opponents hearts from beating, its at least mildly amusing to run across a style called "Gaylord".

Lighten up - I'm certainly not questioning the style (what the hell do I know) just pointing out the inconguity of the name in such a macho discipline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 10:42am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't see the point in laughing at someone who has probably forgotten more about martial arts than most students ever find out. EDIT: Omfgwtfbbq i was being a huge tool here sorry lolz.
    Last edited by DayOfTheJackass; 11/06/2005 12:48pm at .

Old School DM

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheJackass
    i don't see the point in laughing at someone who has probably forgotten more about martial arts than most students ever find out.

Way to read for comprehension. Your name is appropriate though. :knob:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't see the point in laughing at someone who has probably forgotten more about martial arts than most students ever find out.
    I don't see the point in taking it so seriously

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha yeah guess I logged on whilst irritated about other things. Seriously though, kajukenbo seems to have a fascinting history (and before anyone tells me it's a young art, yes I know). I'm not sure why people diss it. Day of the jackass is about a jackass that was hired for a little job in france. It's by a dude name of frederick foreskin, look it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 1:26pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (and before anyone tells me it's a young art, yes I know). I'm not sure why people diss it. .

It's not really a young art when you look at modern systems.

Here are the founding dates of some popular martial arts:

Japan
    Shotokan 1921
    Shito Ryu 1930
    Wado Ryu 1939
    Aikido 1942
    Shorinji Kempo 1946
    Shukokai 1950
    Kyokushinkai 1951
    Koei-kan 1952
    Renbukai 1964

OKINAWA
    Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu 1947
    Isshin Ryu 1954

Korea
    Chung do kwon 1945
    Tang Soo Do 1945
    Chang moo kwon 1946
    Tae Kwon Do 1955
    Hapkido 1950's-60's
    Hwarang do 1960
    Kuk Sul Won 1966

America (and it's territories)
    Danzan Ryu 1930's
    Kara-ho Kempo 1940's
    Kajukenbo 1947
    American Kenpo 1950-60's
    Karazenpo Go Shin jitsu 1958
    Lima Lama 1968
    Shaolin Kempo 1971

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep I hear ya. Guess I meant that I was aware its not ancient! I really shouldn't post in a situation like this, reading stuff online because my sleep patterns are screwed and I can't sleep... I've put a whole lot more 'stupid' onto teh internet tonight! EDIT: before i forget, great list! was wondering if there might be a source? I ask this not to check your cred but moreso out of my own curiousity, would like to check it out.
    Last edited by DayOfTheJackass; 11/06/2005 2:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 5:34pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep I hear ya. Guess I meant that I was aware its not ancient! I really shouldn't post in a situation like this, reading stuff online because my sleep patterns are screwed and I can't sleep... I've put a whole lot more 'stupid' onto teh internet tonight! EDIT: before i forget, great list! was wondering if there might be a source? I ask this not to check your cred but moreso out of my own curiousity, would like to check it out.

Many of the dates come from the timelines in "The Original Martial Arts Encyclopedia" (1st edition titled "Martial Arts: Traditions, History, People") by John Corcoran & Emil Farkus.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again, thanks for dropping by, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Hey, you gotta admit that in a field that is overflowing with ninjas, eye gouging stone cold killers, and people using their chi to stop opponents hearts from beating, its at least mildly amusing to run across a style called "Gaylord".

Lighten up - I'm certainly not questioning the style (what the hell do I know) just pointing out the inconguity of the name in such a macho discipline.
    Oh yeah, you think it's funny now.... Expect a nonhumorous chi blast any second!

=========================

As Meex put it (more or less), Kajukenbo has great schools and, uh, some that suck. I've been lucky to be able to work out in three that were good. The worst was taught by a 1st dan who was actually good and he was the one that took on a big biker dude who walked in and wanted to see "if this stuff works." It worked, biker got to brown in a couple years...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I don't know why you say that about the Kajukenbo. The instructor's teacher is in with the boyz as far as I can tell and he calling it KSDI. I worked out in KSDI in Honolulu under Meex's reccomendation and it rocked (I was rocked, that's for sure).
    I bet your school doesn't have such cool graphics!

link to teacher's name showed this (and why do I keep getting ignored for the Vegas Kaju parties and seminars is beyond me).
    As much as I love kajukenbo theres now 2 problems for me with it.

1) too much groin strike eye gouge internal pointsparring bs out there. I got to meet a kaju student who had never sparred anything but point sparring.

2) I made a post at the kajukenbo forums in which I asked if anyone felt the differance between "old school" and "new school" martial arts. I pretty much got flamed for it and had my name searched for across the internet to find "incriminating" evidence I guess. After this ordeal I canceled my account to the forums and I've resigned myself to disgusted with these guy's attitudes. It went from me seeing and hearing about real problems in the system to guys pretty much saying "well here its differant here its this" and so on and so fourth.

the thread

I've reread it and I know I was trying my best to avoid conflict or offense but obviously it doesn't work.

I would also like to mention that they searched bullshido for my posts as well, and came up with a post I mentioned about the gaylord method - and how I also referenced that Sijo Emperado has stated he doesn't like when people take kajukenbo and call it their own with their own title. THIS IS WAS FROM AN ARTICLE POSTED ON KAJUKENBOINFO.COM. It was about this point I got aggrivated.

the article

Anyways, I finally get fed up when I was told that at 3 years of training in kajukenbo I had no liberty to make any judgements on it. I really lost quite a bit of respect for these guys because I was obviously ASKING THEM to put my doubts to rest and instead I got what the thread shows.

Since then my opinion on kajukenbo has really taken a downhill spiral. My school rocks, our students are pretty good, my instructors are awesome... but when it comes to other school apperantly I am in no place to judge them in the name of kajukenbo so I'll judge them as a person who trains hard, a person who can turn on the TV and SEE people putting their all out in a fight as realistic as it can get, and a person who has met other martial artist. Kajukenbo is and probably always will be a TMA. Only time will tell if it becomes like most other tma's.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast