Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 8:17pm

Style: None for now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A little advice needed

Well im 15 years old and i weigh about 135lbs and 5'6 feet tall with a body fat 19.9%. Which really isn't good. So i've decided to join a blended martial art in order to get in shape and learn how to fight in process. but what i need help with is setting up a good excercise/ diet plan so i can get in a good fit fightning shape. So what i'd like you kind people to tell me is what kind of diet should i have? what kind of exceris es should i do? should i focus on weight lifting more or cardio (i need help with both sadly)?I'd like to train for power and endurace if possible... and keep in mind i will probably go to my martial arts class twice a week and i can't go to the gym because it's very far away and there's no one to drive me. All replies are greatly appreciated.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 8:24pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cut back on junk food. A good balance of vegies, starches and meats.

Start jogging and doing windsprints. Pushups, pullups, situps/crunches, and body weight squats are great for a home workout. Some basic weight training is good too. Once you've learned enough, start shadow boxing, and if you can get a heavy bag, start working out with that. Do not try to kill a heavy bag without some training and be sure to start easy.

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 12:09pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Cut back on junk food. A good balance of vegies, starches and meats.

Start jogging and doing windsprints. Pushups, pullups, situps/crunches, and body weight squats are great for a home workout. Some basic weight training is good too. Once you've learned enough, start shadow boxing, and if you can get a heavy bag, start working out with that. Do not try to kill a heavy bag without some training and be sure to start easy.
    All of this is very sound advice.

You might consider investing in a pull-up and/or wall/door mounted dip-bar for your home, which isn't usually too expensive (I've seen some as low as $12).

Weight vests can also be good, but they tend to be spendy. If want to add more weight (without using weights), consider using milk-jugs filled with water (or sand), or big bags of dog food. You can use these for squats and dealift-type exercises, or just to weigh yourself down while you walk a mile. (Walking a mile with a 40LB bag of dog food or sandbag can be a pretty brutal workout).

Also, with duct tape, sand, and an inexpensive (or old, unused) basketball, you can make a good medicine ball. Slit the basketball, fill it with sand, then duct-tape the crap out of it. Make a 20-25LB ball. You can also use this for squats and other exercises, and it's dirt-cheap (ba-dump bump!)

-dagorilla

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiney
    Well im 15 years old and i weigh about 135lbs and 5'6 feet tall with a body fat 19.9%. Which really isn't good. So i've decided to join a blended martial art in order to get in shape and learn how to fight in process. but what i need help with is setting up a good excercise/ diet plan so i can get in a good fit fightning shape. So what i'd like you kind people to tell me is what kind of diet should i have? what kind of exceris es should i do? should i focus on weight lifting more or cardio (i need help with both sadly)?I'd like to train for power and endurace if possible... and keep in mind i will probably go to my martial arts class twice a week and i can't go to the gym because it's very far away and there's no one to drive me. All replies are greatly appreciated.

does this translate to :

" How do life style ? "
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 6:32am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to the mall. Go into Waldenbooks and buy all the Ashida Kim books you can find. Ask them to look up the others on computer and backorder them. Then go into GNC and ask for the steroids. They'll get all uppity and and say they don't carry those, but that they have "testosterone supplements." Reply, "Whatever," and then buy all of those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 2:49am

Style: kenpo, jiu-jitsu,karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not go buy ashida kim books kid! consider the name of the person who gave you that advice. But if you do want to go buy a book I strongly recommend superfit by Royce Gracie he is a friend of mine and I belive that it is the best fitness book for martial artist out there. Ashida kim is a book on ninjitsu and inpo not for fitness and martial practice. drink lots of water also Royce has a diet outline in that book that will help you alot. do lots of streching and practice your basics every day for at least 3 hours . good luck and let me know.

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 9:17am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiney
    Join the Wrestling team.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 8:16pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Join the Wrestling team.

This is the best advice in the thread.