Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 2:48am

Style: shopping around currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what you think about this school?

ok so i'm going to start training at a new place. and i was specificly looking for a wing chun school. (thinking about crosstraining it with judo). and i stumbled across this little school. even though the name was probably chosen in the late 90's to capitolize on the "Xtreme" marketing, i thought i'd run it by you guys. i'll just link to the teachers BIO:

http://www.theedgema.com/bio.html

i have no idea what the hell silat is. but this guy calls himself "Guru" not sensai or whatever. is this common for silat? or is he part of some cult?

anyway this guy seems to have too many instructor titles for 25 years. i mean it's possible but since i haven't heard of any of these styles. i started thinking maybe the guy just showed up in the philippines with $4 US and bought a bunch of titles.

please help me out with what you think of this school. thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 3:34am

Style: KK NooB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing to do is to go check it out in person. Sit in a class.....Ask the how they spar and how often. Thats the only way to tell. As far as Silat goes....Its an Indonesian MA. Guru is a title for the " head teacher ".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 3:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also why are you looking for WC ? :lame:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 4:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    umm i don't know. i kind of like the direct approach it takes and the fact they actually teach you to hit people in the throat (not that other styles don't, but they don't drill it into your head as often). i've heard it can help with your punching speed and sensitivity. i'm still not too sure about the whole centerline thing though.

trapping seems like a useful skill to have to compliment my game. seems stupid to me to rule out another tool for pre-clinching range. and if the trapping can help me with more blocking options, then why not?

why what's wrong with it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 5:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Direct Approach ?!?! You mean the centerline theory. The shortest distance between 2 points...I know we had centerline theory implanted when I was in CMA. However, not to the extent WC has. Its a good theory...but guess what, try it against a boxer. It just doesnt work. I think there is a clip here with a WC'er against a wrestler in UFC. After you view it let me know how his " trapping skills " and " sensitivty " were.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 5:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not Judo, Sambo, or hell even Shuai Jiao. Those are great arts that help with sensitivity and trapping. Im sure it will compliment well with whatever striking art you are doing.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 5:20am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The term 'guru' is used in filipino martial arts.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all of the help you guys.

ENTER RANT MODE: can we please not turn this into one of the many "my style has a bigger dick than your style cuz mine's in UFC" threads on this site.

i know your just trying to help muff and i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything to you. but i'm really sick of hearing people cite UFC as the means all ends all of every style EVER. i know all of the PROs and blah blah blah about "ITS BEEN TESTED...TESTED IN THE OCTAGON BROTHA"

different strokes for different folks you know?

sorry muff just had to vent.

yeah i remember that match up, i bet his sensitivity was pretty good the mourning after :lol:

so after all of that venting about something that was pretty much unrelated to the anything you said muff. i'd just like to apologize to you. i'm just tired of seeing the word UFC :sad:

back on topic: yeah i plan on taking judo as well with it. what;s Shuai Jiao?

so muff would you say that wing chun is inferior? i mean it is just boxing right?
    plz note that i know virtually nothing about wing chun and i don't plan on taking it just because bruce lee did (i hate bruce lee). i've just always been fascinated with wing chun. but i guess the main reason is because the only things around me are TKD, karate, and like 2 BJJ schools (with insane prices).

sorry agian if you even remotely took offense to anything in my post muff. i do greatly appreciate your help and it wasn't directed at you. but i do hate the whole UFC "be all end all" stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 8:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My intention was not to use UFC as a solution to all. I wanted to point out an example of some of the weaknesses WC has... nothing more. Boxing has nothing in common with WC...Shuai Jiao is a CMA grappling art incorporated into many CMA styles. It can be taught on its own also.

There is no need to apologize to me.

Where do you live ?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some WIng Chun is good. The vast majority is not. It (unfortunately) is up there with TKD and Ninjitsu for proportion of incompetant instructors and shitty schools.

I have had one mate who was a Wing Chun instructor who could fight. I know cos I used to watch him knock the crap out of people when he was working the door. Everyone else I have known who did it and tried to use it ended up highly pissed off at how much time and money they had wasted.

If they spar, if the students and instructors look fit, and if they are capable of admitting the weaknesses in the style (no groundfighting) and providing or recommending cross training to counteract them then it may be worth training there.

If you just want to learn to punch, do boxing. Boxers punch better than anyone else.
    As an aside I'm not a boxer - its just true - punching is all they do and they are damn good at it.
    Sociopaths are people too.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast