Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thepringlekid
    I am sure your sensei would be proud....congrats.
    You're preaching to the wrong group of people. The overriding belief at Bullshido is that Martial Arts are primarily to provide fighting skill (colloquially: to kick ass). Character development and excercise are better left to councilors and personal trainers.

Also, what do you mean "MMA" when you put that in your style field? (I have a sneaking suspicion you're not using the term correctly).

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sure your sensei would be proud....congrats.
    He is proud of my fighting spirit and very proud of the fights I've taken on short notice and the way I've improved and the way I have impressed everyone I fought Win or lose. He is not impressed by coddling internet whiners.

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 3:50pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I know someone who got off anti-depressants she had been taking for over ten years thanks to her training in the FangShen-do (spelling?), and another who swears it helped saved his marriage and a good friend of mine lost close to 100 lbs. training with them.

Some schools charge more... some charge less.
    I think I personally pay more where I train, but hey, I choose to.

No one puts a gun to someone's head when they join a club, it is a choice.

How does the saying go?

Fool me once....shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

From what I hear, and from what you say about them expanding...they work hard and are passionate about what they do. They are not sitting around trying to think of ways to screw you or compromise your development....comeon!
    My friends love it there, and you feel you needed something new....great. That is why we have options, but to slag the school (any school) is dis-honourable, and dis-respectful."

So the measure of a MA school is whether they can play marriage counselor or are a fat farm?

Bullshit.

Green Hornet posted about their training methodology and how it did not enhance fighting ability in the way his present more realistic program did.

He also pointed out some hidden costs (training camps) which someone thinking about joining the school would be unaware of.

He went out of his way not to insult his former instructor.

Your complaints about his bad attitude features some of the most ridiculous psycho-babble I've seen recently.

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 4:40pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King
    There's nothing wrong with what the OP is saying.

You say that there's nothing wrong with it and people are enjoying it, so no one should speak against FSD. Do you think those people would be there and be enjoying it if the sifu said "Look, if you use this you're gonna get your ass beat"? My guess is no.

Telling people you are teaching them an effective self defense when it is not effective, and from the comment about probably being able to beat someone with no training, I'd have to say the instructors know full well it's not effective, is fraud. It is wrong to do and it is not helping anyone, as you claim all martial arts try to do. The fact of the matter is that martial arts are taught by humans. Humans **** people over for money. The "honor" or whatever of martial arts isn't going to keep them from abusing martial arts in their endeavors to **** people.
    I didn't realize that the you had fought people from the FSD and had deemed it non-functional. I bet they were pretty disappointed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 6:52pm

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have sparred many people form FSD. I was an FSD student for 3 years. Is it an effective system? Hell no! Especially thier grappling. A couple chokes, does not constitute grappling.

As soon as I started learning other arts, I realised how much ass, FSD sucked. But they don't like you taking other arts, no sir! That **** is frowned upon! Every class you are told why Fang Shen Do is so much better than every other art. The funny thing is; they have absolutely no interaction with the MA community. Or the MA community wants nothing to do with them. Draw your own conclusions.

Hidden cost are everywhere: Sparring, grappling, weapons, stupid, "conquer your fears" seminars, all are manditory and, all cost extra.

It seems like an OK system until you get to the advanced levels; then **** goes all wrong. In my opinion, the place is a cult.

Props to Green Hornet. It takes guts to leave something you have invested time and money into.

I'm outs

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    should we expect an influx of FSD noobs on bullshido now? great, can someone book them in between our monthly tkd and wc noob waves....

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 9:29pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't aware that FangShenDo existed before Bullshido. That's surprising considering it's the single greatest Martial Art the earth has ever seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 8:27am

Style: Je Ying Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realize that the you had fought people from the FSD and had deemed it non-functional. I bet they were pretty disappointed.
    Look sparky, a guy who was a full on supporter of FSD comes in and says that after trying out some other martial arts and sparring against other trained people he's found that FSD is useless. He then says that after asking his sifu about it, his sifu all but admitted to it being useless, saying that sure he can't be trained people, but against an untrained person he "probably" would win.

Now if you had come in here and said that you've become a proficient fighter with some wins under your belt from it and some valid arguments for how it's effective, perhaps stated that the lack of live training he received is not the norm or at least not your experience, I might be with you. If that were the case I'd accept that maybe the OP just had a bad experience or just isn't much of a fighter or whatever.

Instead, you come in here and say that it doesn't matter if it's effective as long as the people taking it are having fun, which says to me that it IS ineffective.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That picture sucks. It looks like a collection of James Bond villain rejects.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 2:05pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fang Shen Do-Do

"Fang Shen Do" comes from "Modern Wing Chun" which was "Wing Chun Do" and none of these have anything much to do with "Wing Chun".
    "Wing Chun Do" was a system put together by one James DeMille, a former and brief student of Bruce Lee. Lee was a student a student of Wing Chun, but not an "advanced" student as some would like to believe. In fact, Lee never taught Wing Chun, but did use concepts and principles of the system. After Lee's death DeMille devised his own system as a "modern method" of fighting that incorporated some rudimentary Wing Chun, some boxing type interval training, novel training techniques and equipment, and psychology (he was a hypno-therapist). He offered two week seminars teaching his system "Wing Chun Do". Students who took advantage of the seminars got a what amounted to a "crash course" in DeMilles compact system.
    Some of DeMilles students broke away and formed there own clubs. Not wanting to miss the selling strength of Wing Chun, but unable to back it up with lineage and training, many chose to use terms such as "Modern Wing Chun" to bring in the students, and to cover up the fact they had no actual training in Wing Chun. These outfits, located in the US and Canada, tried to add elements such as weapons and fitness and others martial arts.
    Fang Shen Do comes from a fellow in Canada who probably got "outed" because of questions regarding what connection his "Modern Wing Chun" had to the Wing Chun systems (speculation on my my part) and his questionable martial arts history. So he invented a name, "Fang Shen Do", and called himself master of his "new" system. Basically it is the same concept as DeMilles, except for the Messiah complex and sharp marketing.
    Not like anyone needs advice from me, but so what.
    Check the facts. Ask questions. Get answers and verify them. There are lots of "masters" out there. Find yourself a real "teacher" with history, and real experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast