UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 4:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paul Vunak

I have the opertunity to train with a guy who was taught by Paul for some years, and now has his own JKD street defense school. I think he intends on teaching me trapping, is this not something I should pass up?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think JKDchick would know the answer to this, but I'm not sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 7:59am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Vunak is a very tallented MA he has all the proper lineage and so on. If this instructor has been certified by Mr. Vunak im sure he is a very compentant JKD practioner. check out http://www.fighting.net/instructors.php its a list of certified instructors from Paul Vunak. Hand trapping is alot of fun, but i wouldnt stop at just the trapping as the other ranges are a nesscesity to apply the trapping with the proper flow. Hand trapping at least for me has been one of the harder aspects of JKD to apply but ive began to feel much more comfortable with it lately and its alot of fun. Be prepared to have your arms beaten nice and bright red untill you get some nice calcifacation.

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 8:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Vunak is associated with SBG in some way (I think he went around showing the effectivness of BJJ before the UFC etc, to the JKD community.) So a good student of his should be a good "Street MMAist". "Trapping" can also mean "clinching".
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is JKD trapping like the trapping in WC?

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 8:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SBG JKD trapping isn't from what I've seen, it's like Greco wrestling, Muay Thai and MMA clinching.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 8:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Trapping range" also equals headbutts, knees, and elbows (HKE) which are very effective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 8:31am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its both ,its the same techniques as WC trapping usally applied in a more effective manor. We still pak sao, lop sao and every other sao hehe :) plus its usually mixed up with a bit of silat. Hand trappng flows very nicely into silat nerve destructions and so on. And yes alot of trapping is also Thai Clinch work. I studied WC for a while when i was also in JKD, the main differnce is how you apply it. In WC we would be in a traditional Goat stance and do the Drills with basic footwork if any footwork at all. In JKD and the way i prefer to train Hand trapping, we would mix it in with Jun fan kick boxxing and or Thai kick boxxing to fill in the gap between Long ranged kick boxxing and short range grappling. Hand trapping is a great middle/close ranged system, It will take alot of effot to truely become effective if you study only in a traditional WC aproach. In JKD it will still take time but since its applied in a more real life situation and makes a bit more sense it comes a little faster. Plus i enjoy the flow drills in JKD such as huba aluba ( spelled wrong i know) as it generally covers all angles of attack and flow right into either a Disarm (if armed) and or grappling submission or just straight strikes to a take down.
    Last edited by ChrisJKD; 6/18/2004 1:22pm at .

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a good opportunity, especially after hearing Blad3's input.

(I know my clinch range needs improvement. Hedgehogey clinched me in MT for a good 30 seconds and could've collapsed my face with his knee if he had wanted to.)
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 10:09am

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ChrisJKD
    angels of attack