Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 9:37am

Style: Seido karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this a good karate school?

What do you think of this place? I'm thinking of checking it out but don't know anything about the particular style of karate they teach. They seem to teach a bunch of different types of MA though which could be good.

http://www.karatenmotion.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 9:43am

Style: KK NooB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :suicide:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:01am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you wanna do Karate look for a hard style like a Kyokushin school

edit: anything with full contact sparring

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:02am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems a little pricey for what it is. I don't like the emphasis on kiddie stuff, personally - I would want something more adult oriented and a little leaner and meaner.

I would go and watch some of the adult classes and see if they have good contact fighting and the people get a hard workout.

If I HAD to make a decision based only on that website, I would not train there, but there is just enough good there that it might bear checking out in person.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:16am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the front page of their website: "Child Development is our goal. We help families to raise their children."

If your looking for a day care farm to babysit you and keep you busy doing katas so you can channel your ADD energy then this place is for you!!!

:pancakebu :XXreindee :la: :headbang: :zicon_bat

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way to know for sure is to visit the place. BUT for me that website wouldn't merit a visit unless I had heard something positive about the school by word of mouth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:38am

Style: Seido karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The problem where I live is every MA school seems to be focused on kids and the adult programs are secondary. I've been going to Tiger Schulmann's for a couple of weeks and it's OK, but it's way too expensive (about $130/month). I'm not looking to be the next Bruce Lee or anything, but I would like a good workout and learn how to fight/defend myself. I don't want aerobics or that cardio kickboxing nonsense.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:39am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PollyR
    What do you think of this place? I'm thinking of checking it out but don't know anything about the particular style of karate they teach. They seem to teach a bunch of different types of MA though which could be good.

http://www.karatenmotion.com
    Even if the martial arts instruction IS good, I'm not sure I could stomach all the colorful uniforms and what looks suspiciously like "over-americanized" and/or XMA type stuff that (appears to) go on there.

I've nothing against kid/family-friendly martial arts instruction, but that place looks a little to shiny and happy for me... and shiny-happy places are usually big fat, over-priced McDojos. But then again -- like everyone else here -- check the place out (and report back!)

-daGorilla

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't underestimate TSK they break all sorts of Bullshido rules and still have a lot of good fighters. $130 is kinda steep though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:50am

Style: None, at present

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks to me like a run-of-the-mill "family martial arts program." If you're interested in martial arts as a way to get fit, learn about Asian culture and develop your self-discipline it might be okay. As others have said, the best way to evaluate the place is by paying one or more visits there.

I'll say this -- I didn't see anything in my (admittedly brief) look at their site that would encourage me to think this place emphasizes full-contact fighting.

Incidentally, it appears that all the arts mentioned at the top of the home page are elements of Goshi Shun, though I may be wrong.

I did a Google search for Goshi Shun and didn't find much. There's a school in Lithonia, Georgia, headed by a 10th dan named James Fain, who relocated from Newark, so I'm guessing he founded the style.

I hope this is some help. Good luck.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast