223614 Bullies, 3603 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the guys from my old dojo thought Crossfit was the ****. I had them come over to my house and work out with my keg, sandbag, and my car. They no longer think Crossfit is the ****.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 7:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got no horse in this race. I've never done crossfit and my fitness level by almost any standard is little better than "adequate". But this is one of those things I would really like to see:

Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Yes, I can do 40 pullups in 75 seconds. Today I was doing a 6x5 with 80lbs hanging between my crotch. I also did 78 pushups in a minute on my PT exam. Cfag sucks.
    OTOH, what do you weigh? Apostol kind of had a point about chin ups being easier for skinny people. I remember this kid with spinobifida who was confined to a wheelchair in the 6th grade who busted out about 20 chin ups for the fitness test we had one day when the rest of us sixth graders were lucky if we could even do one.

But you have said in the past that you were bottom heavy so....I am skeptical of this claim.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 7:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 5-6 and 170, I do chins with 50lbs for 5 reps, that is MORE than enough for me !

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 8:50am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    At 5-6 and 170, I do chins with 50lbs for 5 reps, that is MORE than enough for me !
    Dude, you're an ANIMAL! :) EDIT: AND a midget! :)

I'm not sure how many weighted chins I could do yet myself. I think I could do some -- but I don't know how many and at what weight.

I've got an article that has some kids (under twelve) doing an impressive amount of weighted chins -- and they've never lifted weights. (They are gymnasts...)

-daGorilla
    Last edited by daGorilla; 11/03/2005 10:06am at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Some of the guys from my old dojo thought Crossfit was the ****. I had them come over to my house and work out with my keg, sandbag, and my car. They no longer think Crossfit is the ****.
    Surprising, since Crossfit lends itself well to strongman-style competition, and heartily encourages improvisation and "real world" workouts. Some of the guys in the forums (soldiers in Iraq) talk about using huge rocks and other "equipment" for doing deadlifts, carries, and similarly improvized subs and workouts.

-daGorilla

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 8:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    Dude, you're an ANIMAL! :)

I'm not sure how many weighted chins I could do yet myself. I think I could do some -- but I don't know how many and at what weight.

I've got an article that has some kids (under twelve) doing an impressive amount of weighted chins -- and they've never lifted weights. (They are gymnasts...)

-daGorilla

Chins, like push-ups, are BW specific, the lighter you are, the more, in theory, you should be able to do, even if you add weight, and shorter arms help too ( less distance to travel).
    Then there are dead hangs ( count of 2 or 3), partials and all that, and all have their use.
    Then there are wide grips, close grips, plams in/out, lots of variables.

The one thing you HAVE to understand about ST is that it is VERY individualistic.
    You CAN'T compare yourself to anyone else, you can only chart your own progress, compare what you are doing to what youhave done.
    No More.

Competition is one thing and we are not talking about that, we are talking about training.

Two people of the same weight and height and both benching 200lbs are the same right? wrong, if one person has longer arms they are doing more work.

Same goes for Squats and the opposite for DL, shortarmed people have to lift more distance.

No such thing as equal comaprisons.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Canuck...since we got sidetracked into a minor flame war...yes my original post was about doing 21's as a bench exercise. I've always done them on occasion with curls to mix it up but I'd never thought to try on a bench press until this guy suggested them the other day. I personally believe (and from the pain feel) that this isn't a bad exercise to do every few weeks or once a month or maybe to help you get over a plateau...I'll let everyone else debate whether it works or not but I think it could be beneficial.

As a tall person with long arms, let me be the first to say that pull ups can suck a big fat cock...I hate them with a passion...I've hated them since I was born I think =)

I was 5'7" in the 5th grade and I couldn't do freaking pullups then and they still suckass now.

You know you are tall with long arms when you have a spotter not because of the weight but because you can lift the bar over the top of the bench itself (and I'm not talking about some short, shitty bench either).

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    Canuck...since we got sidetracked into a minor flame war...yes my original post was about doing 21's as a bench exercise. I've always done them on occasion with curls to mix it up but I'd never thought to try on a bench press until this guy suggested them the other day. I personally believe (and from the pain feel) that this isn't a bad exercise to do every few weeks or once a month or maybe to help you get over a plateau...I'll let everyone else debate whether it works or not but I think it could be beneficial.

As a tall person with long arms, let me be the first to say that pull ups can suck a big fat cock...I hate them with a passion...I've hated them since I was born I think =)

I was 5'7" in the 5th grade and I couldn't do freaking pullups then and they still suckass now.

You know you are tall with long arms when you have a spotter not because of the weight but because you can lift the bar over the top of the bench itself (and I'm not talking about some short, shitty bench either).

Gringo Grande
    Oh, by the way -- those "21's" sound freaking brutal. And I feel ya' on the long arms. I'm not a big guy like you, but I'm built kind of "long and lean" -- so pull ups have never been my best friend. either.

-daGorilla

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Chins, like push-ups, are BW specific, the lighter you are, the more, in theory, you should be able to do, even if you add weight, and shorter arms help too ( less distance to travel).
    Then there are dead hangs ( count of 2 or 3), partials and all that, and all have their use.
    Then there are wide grips, close grips, plams in/out, lots of variables.

The one thing you HAVE to understand about ST is that it is VERY individualistic.
    You CAN'T compare yourself to anyone else, you can only chart your own progress, compare what you are doing to what youhave done.
    No More.

Competition is one thing and we are not talking about that, we are talking about training.

Two people of the same weight and height and both benching 200lbs are the same right? wrong, if one person has longer arms they are doing more work.

Same goes for Squats and the opposite for DL, shortarmed people have to lift more distance.

No such thing as equal comaprisons.

Well said!

I would only add that the individual nature of such training is part of what makes it so compelling and -- to a degree -- fun.

Part of the appeal of gymnastics-type strength training (which I only dabble in) is the overall body strength, focus, and coordination it requires, all of which translates well to martial arts or other sports in general.

-daGorilla

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 10:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    Well said!

I would only add that the individual nature of such training is part of what makes it so compelling and -- to a degree -- fun.

Part of the appeal of gymnastics-type strength training (which I only dabble in) is the overall body strength, focus, and coordination it requires, all of which translates well to martial arts or other sports in general.

-daGorilla

And you look cool doing them !
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast