Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 1:29am

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leonidas - In other words, find some BS, even if I have to make it up a little? This is MA related, and it does very much so go against popular belief (i.e. yours). So? If I find proof that Bruce Lee's fighting style worked for crap and he bought out all his opponents, be sure I'll let you know. Until then, I'll post what I know.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, Kung fu is the least interesting family of martial arts. Sad but true.

But even I still know the legend of Boddidharma that is the mythical birth of Shaolin Kung fu. (Or all martial arts, depending on what crackpot tells the story) But that rendition of history is complete and utter bullshit.

Yang style Tai chi has absolutely NOTHING to do with that. I'm sure there must be some mentioning of the history of Tai chi in the History section of this forum. You should take a look.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 1:54am

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fanatical - agreed... I found one site but then again that doesn't mean it's true... I'll hunt around for the most accepted story and go with that

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 4:40am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami
    Z'dimd - Origonally Tai Chi was invented after a monk (or somebody like that) witnessed a snake fighting with a crane, so the story goes. He invented a basic routine to emulate as best he could. The first form only had around 12 or so moves. I dunno, I just remember the form origonally included a lot of spinning and stamping, but was a hell of a lot shorter, until it was adapted into I believe Yang style by someone else.... I should find that site again...

Yeah, you practice a string of moves in a specific pattern. Isn't that a kata?
    The simple fact that you believe the story of Chang San-feng (not a monk, but a reclusive ascetic Taoist reputed to be immortal, the legendary founder of Taijiquan but acknowledge to most likely not be the true founder) as the origin of Taijiquan seriously calls into question your understanding of what Taiji is and isn't...

Chen is the only variant of Taiji that is practiced with quick movements in the forms. The slow movements in the other variants are in place in order to develop specific body coordinations; the fighting techniques aren't used that way (negating your reference to yoga and exercise).

Gotta love people that think they are the sole living repositories of knowledge... They apparently don't know they aren't. They can't be. That's my job.

:toothy10:

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 5:25am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the type of Taichi I do, the hand form is done slowly. Speeding it up wouldn't suddenly turn Taichi into a martial art, and doing it slowly has it's own benefits.

Techniques are done fast in padwork, drills, and of course, sparring. I don't know them yet, but from what I read the sabre and the spear forms are also done fast.

The old snake and crane story you've got confused about is one sometimes used about Wing Chun, because it has lots of short range versions of techniques you see in White Crane, and some hand movements reminiscent of the way a snake moves.

You don't need to defend Taichi. Everybody loves it and they are just waiting their turn for me to tell them where a reputable school near them is so they can take it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 5:29am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    The simple fact that you believe the story of Chang San-feng (not a monk, but a reclusive ascetic Taoist reputed to be immortal, the legendary founder of Taijiquan but acknowledge to most likely not be the true founder) as the origin of Taijiquan seriously calls into question your understanding of what Taiji is and isn't...

Chen is the only variant of Taiji that is practiced with quick movements in the forms. The slow movements in the other variants are in place in order to develop specific body coordinations; the fighting techniques aren't used that way (negating your reference to yoga and exercise).

Gotta love people that think they are the sole living repositories of knowledge... They apparently don't know they aren't. They can't be. That's my job.

:toothy10:
    Tung-family system has also fast form, and even san shou is listed in curriculum. But where I trained, most of the practicioners were older women, and not overly keen on san shou. And neither was sifu. :new_Llol:

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 7:16am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell if new guy is woefully misinformed and young, or a troll.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 7:29am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another stupid thread. 2/10 because the novelty is wearing off and there are no chi-powered auras in this thread. Yet.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 11:39am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

a small piece of advice befor posting

Shin,

I would recommend lurking in this forum for quite a while before posting your own threads. This does two things. 1.) It prevents you from posting threads that have been done.....to death. 2.) It lets you get a feel for what is considered appropriate for the subculture you have fumbled you way into. If you love your Tai Chi that is great. I studied Tai Chi for a while and found parts of it useful. The thing you need to remember about bullshido is that you have a core of people who are very serious about their martial arts. Some of whom you have encountered. You may also find that on the other side of the spectrum there are a bunch of other folks who fall into one of several other categories. (e.g. Style nutriders, Trolls, 16 year old VTG's and many more.) In conclusion you should shut the **** up and learn to use the search feature and think long and hard before posting a defense of a system to a bunch people who care very little about what you think.

Moron

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 12:11pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami
    IActual Tai Chi is practiced a lot like a Karate kata, except involving a great deal of sidesweeping movements, spinning, stomping, and jabbing people in painful places. All of it is very fast and hard to follow if you haven't already done the moves slow-mo in the workout .
    Don't sound like any Tai Chi I ever heard of!
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast