Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Uh-huh.
    Very good ... way to set the standard :icon_chee

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:08pm

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eyebeams - the arguement that tai chi isn't always slow was my ONLY arguement. Now look back at the thread and look at what everyone's trying to ream me on. For the most part they're trying to avoid mentioning that bit at all, either that or they bring forth some invalid arguement like

"You've only practice Tai Chi for a year, how can you preach to us how it is?"

Yeah... I've only practiced Tai Chi for a year. So I guess suddenly the faster form no longer exists and you win the arguement?

God these people annoy me... you're not so bad though since you bring out facts and arguements not directly aimed at trying to make me feel dumb.

On a side note, there is a slow and fast form of the Tai Chi sword too, which I'm also learning. I don't know about broadsword, staff, or the other forms, but it's pretty likely considering the trend up till now.

And to clarify for future purposes, because I know someone's going to try and get me on this, when I mean slow TC is an exercise for fast TC, I don't mean literally in terms of leg stretch - judo. Slow Tai Chi gets you loose and limber, and it teaches your body to get used to moderately complex movements that you will need to perform later much more rapidly. Much like doing a leg stretch gets your leg used to kicking upward at that height, except TC slow is more complex and thurough than a mere leg stretch.

Mateus - oddly enough, I understood that... o.o

JFS USA - "Motor skill aquisition" equals out to "I am dumb"? wtf are you ranting about now? If you're going to try and burn me for whatever I said, try and disprove my origonal arguement that Tai Chi is not only a slow form of chinese yoga. I looked around and there are actually plenty of people that agree with me elsewhere on the site. This post is mainly for you people who like sticking to your old beliefs.

Jekyl - Yeah, it does get dull. I'm not entirely sure what push hands is, though it sounds like that one exercise I saw once during hour 5 where two people stood really close and tried to unbalance each other. Is that it or it is something else?

Grashnak - *rolls eyes* if hearing the details of all the fights I can remember will make you happy, I'll start up a thread with that in the offtopic section. Then you can pick through those at your leisure and tell me I still haven't learned anything about fighting. This thread is about Tai Chi not being slow.

And for the record, I never bring lunch money except at the beginning of each month. I always had pre-bought credit where you had to go and give the lunch people your student number.

JFS USA again - I have come to the conclusion that you enjoy being dumb on purpose. I classify you between houseplant and doorknob. You would be houseplant, but you're crossed with doorknob because you could turn in the "smart" direction if you REALLY had to, but you seem to enjoy the "dumb" direction.

Moron

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:13pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami

I've only practiced Tai Chi for a year(SNIP). I'm not entirely sure what push hands is, though it sounds like that one exercise I saw once during hour 5 where two people stood really close and tried to unbalance each other. .
    :sad1:

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push hands is the chi sensitivity exercise that is the preparatory training for being able to knock people out just by waving your hand at their solar plexus.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion - huh... oookay... so does anyone know what that unbalancing thing was? Or was that some untraditional exercise sifu made up for his school?

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No your sifu didn't make it up, I'm just surprised he showed it to you so soon.

Normally, you have to study Tai Chi (or any other chinese internal martial art) for 12 years before you are allowed to spar or wrestle with another student. Doing it sooner just encourages bad technique.

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah, funny story!

We advertise one free lesson to try things out, so this lady came in a little while ago. Her YMCA had stopped doing Tai Chi and she wanted to find a new place. She looked to be about 300+ pounds, and she was wearing one of those big flowerery hats to boot.

Anyway, we start into the lesson with the slow bit to warm up, and after the first three moves she stops doing it and stands in the back with her hand up in the air clearing her throat every 2 seconds. Sifu never stops the routine for people who gets lost, he simply takes it to one of the partway moves and ends it, then goes back to the move they messed up to correct it. After standing there clearing her throad for like 5 minutes, he finally gets annoyed that she isn't getting the message and sends his assistant to explain in english why he doesn't want to hold up the class because she has a question.

When the assistant gets there, the lady basically yells at her, going "You people are so phony! This isn't Tai Chi, it's too fast! How are we supposed to learn it this way?!" We were moving at a rate of about 5 seconds for each move. Apparantly she had been used to 20. Can you even imagine taking 20 seconds for EACH move?? Anyway, the assistant explained that this was a comfortable speed for most of the students, and was a good speed to start at before moving onto the fast version.

"Well I'M not used to it, I think you all need to slow down" the lady demanded. After Sifu's assistant went and translated, he rolled his eyes and let us loose in individual practice. Everyone went at their own speed, and he went around between us correcting our postures, and testing to see if our stances were firm by trying to push us over, that sort of thing. The assistant volunteered to teach the lady at her own speed, which she insisted helped her get her posture right.

Now, some Tai Chi vets, tell me how this posturing sound to you. This is the beginning move. The lady is bent at the waist with her arms hanging down. She straightens up with her arms coming up like frankenstein's monster, and slowly turns by shuffling her feet to the side without twisting at the waist in the slightest bit, before angling her left arm down at a 45 degree angle with the elbow straight. She shifts the left arm under her right and turns her hand up. This entire process takes about two minutes, by which time most of us are one third of the way done.

The assistant explains some of the moves to her as she does them in real time, at one point naming off one move as the cat stance. The lady huffs, stands up straight, and loudly proclaims "my cat doesn't stand like that"

By THIS point in the routine, most of us are done with the entire Tai Chi routine. Those of us that have learned it are doing the faster version. The half of the class that doesn't has gone to the wall to get their swords to practice Tai Chi sword. The lady freaks out and starts spewing questions about liscencing and safety. The swords are all fake, meant to look real, but in reality they're dull and can almost bend in a full circle with no damage to the blade. They're used in our stage performances, and all this is explained. Still, the fat lady decides she feels safer practicing in the doorway. She goes so slow she doesn't need much more room than that anyway...

After half an hour, Sifu stands up and announces at the top of his lungs "outside smoke! five minutes!" and strolls right past the huffy fat lady, who gives him this indignant glare as he frees his poor asistant from the fat lady's grip and has her take over the rest of the class. After Sifu comes back, he tells the lady (through his translator) to try and keep up with the rest of the class.

Instead of this, she grabs her bag and tosses off a quick "I shall be writing an article in the paper about this!" before leaving.

This story is actually only partly funny. It's also to illustrate the damaging aspect of YMCA McDojos who teach Tai Chi at .05 moves a second in order to milk more money out of their clients... there actually isn't much point to this comment aside from sharing an interesting story and ranting at McDojos.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah, funny story!

We advertise one free lesson to try things out, so this lady came in a little while ago. Her YMCA had stopped doing Tai Chi and she wanted to find a new place. She looked to be about 300+ pounds, and she was wearing one of those big flowerery hats to boot.

Anyway, we start into the lesson with the slow bit to warm up, and after the first three moves she stops doing it and stands in the back with her hand up in the air clearing her throat every 2 seconds. Sifu never stops the routine for people who gets lost, he simply takes it to one of the partway moves and ends it, then goes back to the move they messed up to correct it. After standing there clearing her throad for like 5 minutes, he finally gets annoyed that she isn't getting the message and sends his assistant to explain in english why he doesn't want to hold up the class because she has a question.

When the assistant gets there, the lady basically yells at her, going "You people are so phony! This isn't Tai Chi, it's too fast! How are we supposed to learn it this way?!" We were moving at a rate of about 5 seconds for each move. Apparantly she had been used to 20. Can you even imagine taking 20 seconds for EACH move?? Anyway, the assistant explained that this was a comfortable speed for most of the students, and was a good speed to start at before moving onto the fast version.

"Well I'M not used to it, I think you all need to slow down" the lady demanded. After Sifu's assistant went and translated, he rolled his eyes and let us loose in individual practice. Everyone went at their own speed, and he went around between us correcting our postures, and testing to see if our stances were firm by trying to push us over, that sort of thing. The assistant volunteered to teach the lady at her own speed, which she insisted helped her get her posture right.

Now, some Tai Chi vets, tell me how this posturing sound to you. This is the beginning move. The lady is bent at the waist with her arms hanging down. She straightens up with her arms coming up like frankenstein's monster, and slowly turns by shuffling her feet to the side without twisting at the waist in the slightest bit, before angling her left arm down at a 45 degree angle with the elbow straight. She shifts the left arm under her right and turns her hand up. This entire process takes about two minutes, by which time most of us are one third of the way done.

The assistant explains some of the moves to her as she does them in real time, at one point naming off one move as the cat stance. The lady huffs, stands up straight, and loudly proclaims "my cat doesn't stand like that"

By THIS point in the routine, most of us are done with the entire Tai Chi routine. Those of us that have learned it are doing the faster version. The half of the class that doesn't has gone to the wall to get their swords to practice Tai Chi sword. The lady freaks out and starts spewing questions about liscencing and safety. The swords are all fake, meant to look real, but in reality they're dull and can almost bend in a full circle with no damage to the blade. They're used in our stage performances, and all this is explained. Still, the fat lady decides she feels safer practicing in the doorway. She goes so slow she doesn't need much more room than that anyway...

After half an hour, Sifu stands up and announces at the top of his lungs "outside smoke! five minutes!" and strolls right past the huffy fat lady, who gives him this indignant glare as he frees his poor asistant from the fat lady's grip and has her take over the rest of the class. After Sifu comes back, he tells the lady (through his translator) to try and keep up with the rest of the class.

Instead of this, she grabs her bag and tosses off a quick "I shall be writing an article in the paper about this!" before leaving.

This story is actually only partly funny. It's also to illustrate the damaging aspect of YMCA McDojos who teach Tai Chi at .05 moves a second in order to milk more money out of their clients... there actually isn't much point to this comment aside from sharing an interesting story and ranting at McDojos.
    Uh-huh.

Spoiler:
    I call upon the vengful bullshido gods to strike this sad excuse for a tai chi practioner down!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 7:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has your instructor emphasized the importance of not masturbating ?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 7:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First off learn the definition of McDojo. All McDojo's aren't bad. Many schools have combined to save money and rent in a better location.

Second off, the YMCA isn't a MCDojo. Now it does not always check credentials and opens itself up for Bullshido.

You are an idiot. Most YMCA's are in lower income areas, what are they now accepting Food stamps in the place of money?
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/06/2005 7:32pm at .
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast