Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First you need to learn the proper way to work a bag. You can't just stand there and hit it, you're doing more harm than good that way unless your goal is simply to get exercise. Don't become one of those trendy idiots who hits a bag because he thinks it makes him cool. Learn what you're doing first.

You can hit a bag every day, but you would need to, or should, cycle the intensity.

Also remember that muscle memory plays a huge role here. It's good to hit the bag when fatigued, in terms of conditioning, but if that fatigue results in your form suffering, then you're encoding poor motor movements and basically dedicating a shitty punch to muscle memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 4:23pm

Style: Cho Hwa Mo Yang Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, what i do is a few rounds of jabs, focusing on good hand and arm technique,

then i go into two hand use, jab, cross, again good hand technique,

I always focus on good technique

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join a boxing gym, even if only for a few weeks, you will get propre instruction and you will learn from qualified intstructors that can SEE what you are doing and correct your mistakes.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempi_stone
    Well, what i do is a few rounds of jabs, focusing on good hand and arm technique,

then i go into two hand use, jab, cross, again good hand technique,

I always focus on good technique
    Well, I doubt your form is any good when you're doing what you described in your first post.

What sort of training have you had in terms of bag work? I boxed for almost as many years as you've been alive. I've trained with pros and been coached by professional trainers. In all my years, I've never seen any boxer hit a bag in the manner you describe in your first post. Perhaps it's a technique from a different style, if so then fine. But I'd worry about learning poor technique with that particular drill.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Join a boxing gym, even if only for a few weeks, you will get propre instruction and you will learn from qualified intstructors that can SEE what you are doing and correct your mistakes.
    Ditto.
    Personally, I think ALL fighters need to spend a bit of time in a boxing gym to develop the raw skills one needs to progress and become an good fighter. It can also be a good place to learn how to take a punch, not just throw one.

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 6:44pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pick a combo and work it. Make sure that the punches land effectively, that you don't drop your hands, etc. When you have this down, pick up the speed, add head movement and more footwork. Once you've got one combo down, practice another. When you've got it down, do some rounds where you can use either combination, at your discression. Start mixing in some cover jabs, etc. Move your head, work on slipping to the side after you land your shots.

After you've got a small arsenal of punches and combinations, work rounds with a timer. If you or your coach notice any problems with a strike or combo, work the problems out. Slow it down, or isolate the technique as necessary. With proper technique, you should be able to put pop to any punch, even if you are tired. It may be harder, but you can still do it.

Try working your way up to at least 5 three-minute rounds for a start, without coasting through any of it, and with 100 punches per round, minimum. Hard and varied shots, head movement, hands up, good footwork. Your handspeed will naturally increase as you work this, assuming you are really working.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 7:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Pick a combo and work it. Make sure that the punches land effectively, that you don't drop your hands, etc. When you have this down, pick up the speed, add head movement and more footwork. Once you've got one combo down, practice another. When you've got it down, do some rounds where you can use either combination, at your discression. Start mixing in some cover jabs, etc. Move your head, work on slipping to the side after you land your shots.

After you've got a small arsenal of punches and combinations, work rounds with a timer. If you or your coach notice any problems with a strike or combo, work the problems out. Slow it down, or isolate the technique as necessary. With proper technique, you should be able to put pop to any punch, even if you are tired. It may be harder, but you can still do it.

Try working your way up to at least 5 three-minute rounds for a start, without coasting through any of it, and with 100 punches per round, minimum. Hard and varied shots, head movement, hands up, good footwork. Your handspeed will naturally increase as you work this, assuming you are really working.
    This is excellent advice sempi, you should pay attention.

It's about progression, you can't jump the curve. Remember, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". That's the philosophy we lived by when learning CQB room clearing. It refers primarily to shooting, but is just as applicable for punching. The point is that you should only go as fast as you can go without losing your form.

Any idiot can zing punches at a bag, or a person even, as fast as he can, but it's useless if those punches lack accuracy and/or power. Start slow and pay attention to your technique. Progress only as fast as you can without your technique suffering. Add to your repertoire only after you've become proficient with what you're currently working on. Do not do things that will cause you to develop bad habits, such as hitting the bag as fast and long as you can with one hand.

You will get progressively faster, stronger and more complete in your technique with time. It takes time and dedication, that's the bottom line.

I agree with the others though, you really should spend some time in a boxing gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My martial arts instructor's first art was boxing :-)

Thanks, now i have a place to start:

3 five minute rounds, going for 100 good punches.

I keep my hands up by habbit now (mostly), because of my teachers who were trained that way by thier teachers. Moo duk kwan is a combat art, we understand, "you drop your hands, you got punched"

Question about moving the head. What is this for? keeping a moving target i would assume, but assumption is the mother of all (expletive deleted)
    Last edited by sempi_stone; 11/01/2005 8:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 8:46pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempi_stone
    My martial arts instructor's first art was boxing :-)

Thanks, now i have a place to start
    If so, I'm curious as to why you didn't just ask him in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodar I had planned to, but He doesnt come in until wendsday or thursday because of his day job.

Also, there is more then one way to skin a cat, and I wanted other opinoins.

i got a few in this threat alone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast