Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 6:30am

Style: Judo, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for Open Mat in PERTH.

Hi, I am looking for a gym, or a group of people who have access to a gym, to join in with "open mat" type training in Perth, Western Australia.

I currently train in Krav Maga, which is great and I would love to continue. However the gym does not offer MMA open mat training, mainly because of the other students not wanting to rather than the instructor not wanting to, but it's a bit of both to be honest.

What I need is a gym where my freinds and I can come along, and train in whatever we feel like on the night, and also train with others, whether it be pad work, to BJJ to Muay Thai or all out shooto sparing. I'm not looking to be taught, simply to work on techniques myself and gain valuble sparing experience I currently don't have the space and opportunity to do. I also don't mind paying as I go for these sessions, as long as it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

If anyone has any information or has a group I and possibly a few friends could join, please let me know.

PS. Before any says "just join an MMA Gym". I have searched the net for MMA gyms in Perth, and the only worth while one, charge like wounded bulls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 7:33am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't offer a place to train, but I would be keen to join in if you find a place.
    Sounds good.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 5:51am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember right The Academy of MMA (all the way up in Mirrabooka) have 3 open mat sessions a week. Unless that was what you were talking about when you said 'charge like wounded bulls', then I've got no idea.

edit: Unfortunately, on a closer look, their open mat stuff is BJJ only.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Mixed Martial Arts Acamedy does seem like the only decent place in Perth. I have been considering attending the shooto classes as a pay as I go type plan. It's only $5 a lesson more than my Krav school, but I cant afford both and to be honest, I don't need to be taught a whole lot of shooto techniques, I just need to work on them. Whereas Krav teaches stuff I don't know so it's better to "learn" from Krav.

Anyway, hopefully something will come along, there much be cheap open mat classes somewhere in Perth, I just have to find them.

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Gerald at geraldbb@hotmail.com or 0419 594 723. He can probably help you out as he's taken over Soa's school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 7:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks JohnnyS. Seems like a good lead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 8:18pm

Style: Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey JohnnyS, thanks for the referall, I spoke to Young Cricket last week and daresay we can help him out with what he needs!

I just started teaching BJJ classes at Team Soa, Soa Palelei's gym in Myaree, corner of Leach Highway and Norma Rd, directly beneath the Rebel Sports Shop at Romero's Gym, big yellow door next to the Performance Exhaust Centre.

Soa teaches MMA classes, Tues & Thurs at 7pm. My BJJ classes are Mon and Wed at 7pm, all classes are 60 minutes long.

We also offer, Kickboxing for women on Tues & Thurs at 6pm, Fighter cardio/conditioning classes on Mon/Wed at 5pm and Open Mat sparring sessions, all styles on Saturdays, at various times depending on our schedule.

Last Saturday we took our guys up to Fight Club in City Beach for some interclub sparring, as we have 3 fighters competing on XFC9 on November 26th.

We have a serious work ethic at the club with a focus on development and competition and enjoy great sponsorship which allows us to offer excellent facilities and tuition at a low price.

All classes are $10 per session, first class is introductory and monthly membership incorporating all offered classes is imminent.

Contact me at geraldbb@hotmail.com or 0419 594 723 for further details or queries........

See you on the mat!

Gerald.