Page 4 of 4 First 1234
  1. #31
    Darkpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    "how'd you do that?"

    "dunno, first time try"
    Miyagi doesn't say "dunno, first time try" he says "dunno...first time"

    Your kung fu is not strong...

  2. #32
    Gypsy Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    961
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I think that matt Furey advocates doing pistols (holding one leg out in front of you). I'm not sure why Apostol doesn't like pistols.

    I think pistols are excellent, but are probably not the best place to start. There may also be some problems with muscle encoding when doing pistols because they require you to round your back which isn't a healthy habit to develop.
    I guess if there's a better way, why bother with pistols? But I don't think rounding your back should be that much of a worry unless you start to do it all the time. After all, when sparring don't you round your back at least a bit when you round your shoulders are tuck your chin? Pro boxers don't walk around in a boxing stance, I don't think it should be a big deal.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,660
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    I guess if there's a better way, why bother with pistols? But I don't think rounding your back should be that much of a worry unless you start to do it all the time. After all, when sparring don't you round your back at least a bit when you round your shoulders are tuck your chin? Pro boxers don't walk around in a boxing stance, I don't think it should be a big deal.
    It's the lower back, lumbar spine, I'm talking about. Rounding the thoracic or cervical spine doesn't pose the same problems.

    But I agree with you that it shouldn't be a big deal, for most healthy people. That's just the only issue that comes to mind as far as why apostol said not to do pistols. I can't really think of any other reason except that they are more difficult, thus probably not the best choice for a beginner.
    Last edited by lawdog; 11/02/2005 9:51pm at .

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Xi'an, P.R.C.
    Posts
    4,249
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a little exercise that I use as a warm up. It looks kind of dumb but I swear to god it helps. I couldn't sweep or throw for **** untill I started this one. Now..I can sweep or throw for ****. But that's improvement. Anyways, give it a shot.....this looks so dumb I can't believe I am going to post this exercise:

    http://media.putfile.com/jibengong

    I also thought a drill Omega showed me, which looks I think even dumber than the one linked, was pretty fucking good. You need a partner though. Stand feet planted at whatever width you think is most stable. Then your friend jumps guard on you but you are not allowed to fall down. NOW the friend has to somehow climb the **** around to rear mount without touching the ground and without you falling over. Then he/she continues the circuit and climbs back around to the front.

    I wish I had a video of THAT one. I tried it at a throwdown. I wish I had somoene around here to drill that one with. It looks superultrafaggotygay but it's a fantastic drill. I'd use my girlfriend but I think she's only about 100lbs. or so. lol.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

    Bah!!! Puny Humans.



  5. #35
    Lothene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)
    Posts
    328
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again all, I'm trying everything :)

    Oh yeah, I was trying some out, and I think part of the problem may be that I have stupid spindly little ankles (when they're not swollen haha) and they need to be stronger, so I'm going to do some more strength exercises for them. Hopefully will reduce the chances of another sprain too.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Xi'an, P.R.C.
    Posts
    4,249
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just standing on one foot with your eyes closed will help strengthen you ankles.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

    Bah!!! Puny Humans.



  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,660
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothene
    Thanks again all, I'm trying everything :)

    Oh yeah, I was trying some out, and I think part of the problem may be that I have stupid spindly little ankles (when they're not swollen haha) and they need to be stronger, so I'm going to do some more strength exercises for them. Hopefully will reduce the chances of another sprain too.
    :thumbsup:

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    638
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    I also thought a drill Omega showed me, which looks I think even dumber than the one linked, was pretty fucking good. You need a partner though. Stand feet planted at whatever width you think is most stable. Then your friend jumps guard on you but you are not allowed to fall down. NOW the friend has to somehow climb the **** around to rear mount without touching the ground and without you falling over. Then he/she continues the circuit and climbs back around to the front.

    I wish I had a video of THAT one. I tried it at a throwdown. I wish I had somoene around here to drill that one with. It looks superultrafaggotygay but it's a fantastic drill. I'd use my girlfriend but I think she's only about 100lbs. or so. lol.
    Yeah it was one of the "Right Guard Xtreme Challenges" on this season of The Ultimate Fighter. One guy did ~200 revolutions and both he and his partner were sore for days. :lol:

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    336
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rather than trying everything, maybe pick 2-3 of all the exercises people suggested, work on them for 2-3 months and then switch to a new set. Variety is cool, but you want to set a routine to better gauge progress.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO