225005 Bullies, 3733 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exercises for increasing balance/stability

Please suggest some :)
    Last edited by Lothene; 11/01/2005 12:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:10am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for what - sport specific or general?

Destroyer of Worlds

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for my MT and BJJ but really in general - I want to become more conscious of my balance/centre of gravity in all my movements, so I was hoping some exercises that are specifically about balance would help with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:22am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how is you're balance now - what do you think your weaknesses/strengths are?

apologies for the conversational tone but there's a lot of different ways to go with this
    Last edited by Tourettes; 11/01/2005 12:25am at . Reason: additional thought

Destroyer of Worlds

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not too flash. Because I've only been training for about two months and never really did any serious exercise/sports before that, I'm not as aware of what my body is doing as I would like.

We do this thing in MT class where we have to do a double push-kick without putting our kicking foot back on the ground between kicks, and I really have to concentrate to do it without losing my balance, so I am working on this at home.

Also BJJ sometimes I am not aware of my centre of gravity, like when I started to learn the guard pass I kept leaning to my left for no good reason, which made me very unsteady, however when we do stuff like where you have to keep mount while the other person tries to buck you off, I find it pretty easy to retain my balance.

So I guess you could say that my balance is bad when I am making a movement which requires me to move my centre of gravity?

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothene
    It's not too flash. Because I've only been training for about two months and never really did any serious exercise/sports before that, I'm not as aware of what my body is doing as I would like.

We do this thing in MT class where we have to do a double push-kick without putting our kicking foot back on the ground between kicks, and I really have to concentrate to do it without losing my balance, so I am working on this at home.

Also BJJ sometimes I am not aware of my centre of gravity, like when I started to learn the guard pass I kept leaning to my left for no good reason, which made me very unsteady, however when we do stuff like where you have to keep mount while the other person tries to buck you off, I find it pretty easy to retain my balance.

So I guess you could say that my balance is bad when I am making a movement which requires me to move my centre of gravity?
    I'd just suggest making a conscious effort in BJJ class to keep your balance. Other than that, it will just come with time. Be patient, but make sure to learn everything correctly. Don't learn things the whole time overcompensating for your gangsta lean.

For Muay Thai: At the school I took MT at (Khornelius Praxx's school), the instructor had a set of leg stretches everyone did together at the beginning of the class. Something like holding a front kick, side kick, and uhh . . . something else (maybe a reverse kick. Hell, I don't know) at 3 progressively higher levels for a certain amount of time. I started doing this on my own as well and it worked wonders for my balance. I'll PM KP and ask him to post the stretches, since I believe the Jun Fan class does them too. Maybe those could help. Other than that, same as BJJ: it just takes time. Just remember that your body is trying to learn and get used to a bunch of new **** all at once. Your brain and body are probably still just a bit confused with all this new "athleticism" stuff, especially since you say you've not been especially athletic before in life.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/01/2005 12:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:52am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever try yoga? It has some good balance exercises. If you are too embarrassed to take lessons, just buy a book. Balance exercises are pretty easy to learn from photos and a little trial-and-error.

E.g., http://www.anandaseattle.org/i/hy_tree_tricia.jpg

Destroyer of Worlds

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha gangsta lean :P

Thanks for your suggestions Garbanzobean and Bodar, appreciate it.

Oh yeah, I'm going up to QLD to watch a Muay Thai fight in two weeks, and my friend up there is going to bring me to a yoga class, so I will see how I go!
    Last edited by Lothene; 11/01/2005 1:15am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:18am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try roller blading and things like that.

PL

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:25am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    Try roller blading and things like that.

PL
    Rollerblading? Do people still do that? I was hoping it had gone the way of the dodo . . . most likely due my own lack of skill. The only thing worse that rollerskating/blading? Ice skating. What a bizarre thing to want to do with your spare time. My idea of a good time is getting thrown around and choked, and I STILL think ice skating is fucked up.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast