Posted On:
    11/01/2005 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor
    Want to sell the 100 and 150?
    Nah, already lent them to a bud of mine, but thanks tho.

I treat my grippers like a compound exercise, 3x a week tops.
    Now that's interesting. That site says you can build up to 5-7 times a week and just from this past week after a workout it feels like I'm back to 100% by the next morning.

What's your workout like?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grippers only make up a portion of my grip workout. I also include plate pinching, hub pinching, farmer's walking, extensor bands, Eagle Loops, and block weights. I currently do grippers only twice a week, because my crushing strength is good enough so I want to concentrate more on other areas.

Grip strength involves several different areas, including crushing (like closing grippers), supporting (farmer's walks and keeping a steady grip on something), and finger strength (one-finger lifts, extensors, block weights, etc.). I like to train different ways of it, mostly because I'm a grip fanatic. You can get away with doing just grippers and it'll be fine, but some of the guys with the best grips I know don't train more than 4 times a week. If you're doing low volume though (like trying a Grease the Groove approach with them), then you could theoretically train every day. Never tried it myself though, so can't say if it works or not.

Check out http://www.gripboard.com, some of those guys have great advice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Grippers only make up a portion of my grip workout. I also include plate pinching, hub pinching, farmer's walking, extensor bands, Eagle Loops, and block weights. I currently do grippers only twice a week, because my crushing strength is good enough so I want to concentrate more on other areas.

Grip strength involves several different areas, including crushing (like closing grippers), supporting (farmer's walks and keeping a steady grip on something), and finger strength (one-finger lifts, extensors, block weights, etc.). I like to train different ways of it, mostly because I'm a grip fanatic. You can get away with doing just grippers and it'll be fine, but some of the guys with the best grips I know don't train more than 4 times a week. If you're doing low volume though (like trying a Grease the Groove approach with them), then you could theoretically train every day. Never tried it myself though, so can't say if it works or not.

Check out http://www.gripboard.com, some of those guys have great advice.
    That variety is also a good way to avoid tendonitis. Especially the extensor training, which is almost always neglected.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome advice guys. Thanks!

Now i just need to pick a CMA so i can truely have the kung-fu grip! :eatbabies

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Awesome advice guys. Thanks!

Now i just need to pick a CMA so i can truely have the kung-fu grip! :eatbabies
    Uh oh, you need to read Koto's controversial thread about the Eagle Claw dude with the Kung Fu grip...
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12