Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Musashi did have students. I will go into more detail later but right now I am trying to recover from this mornings Combatives training, then I have go back on the matt after lunch?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Musashi did have students. He (suposedly) won his first duel when HE was a 13 year old boy.

Sexe dans la derrière!

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    I see. Yes, the Japanese were very good at record keeping.
    Except for that whole The American Aggressor Started World War II bit... those crazy Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 2:12pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yes he had students

a good book about Musashi's life is linked below. It covers a history of his life in a very good historical matter of fact sort of way. where there is conjecture he lists both sides of the story. It also has another translation of the book of five rings that I fond very good. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...books&v=glance

PT

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that Mushashi was made an honorary pirate by Blackbeard...and in return Mushashi helped him refine their pirate-fu to battle the ninja warlords that were constantly assaulting them.

Want to know what this has to do with Mushashi's style being passed down over the centuries, they're both BS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 2:59pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read that book pretty recently (a couple months ago), it's very good. And, according to that author, he did have students. I think it also has the lineage of his Niten Ryu, but I'm too lazy to get up, go get it, look it up, and copy it all down here.

There are also stories of him repelling enemies using his ki, and such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 3:49pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu is a legit koryu. Every once a while they go to seminars in Europe and other continents.

www.hyoho.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:46pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Not sure how accurate:

Kashima Shinto Ryu [1] [2] [3] [4]
    Founded by Tsukahara Bokuden (1490-1571), son of a Shinto priest at the sanctuary of Kashima (Ibaraki prefecture).
    The Kashima Shinto ryu is one of the oldest samurai and most vigorous training organizations in Japan. The current (nineteenth generation) headmaster presides over more than a dozen branch schools and clubs (including several in Europe and North America) with a collective membership numbering in the hundreds of students. One of the most interesting features of Kashima Shinto ryu martial art is its comprehensive and holistic nature. Although training focuses on the use of the sword, Kashima Shinto ryu bugei, as practiced today, consists of twelve particularized military disciplines (bujutsu): kenjutsu swordsmanship batto-jutsu (sword drawing); naginata-jutsu (use of the naginata, a kind of glaive or voulges); sojutsu (spearmanship); kenjutsu-tachiai (use of the sword against other weapons); shuriken-jutsu (use of throwing darts); jujutsu (grappling); kenpo (striking and kicking); bojutsu (use of long staff); jojutsu (use of short staff; kaiken-jutsu or tanto-jutsu (use of knives and short swords); and tasuki-dori or hobaku-jutsu (tying or binding an opponent). These disciplines intertwine and co-exist as components of a single whole. Each contains all the others and is in turn contained by all of the others. Each draws on the same principles of thought and movement, differentiated only by the interaction of these principles with the distinctive characteristics of the weapon around which it revolves. None is complete in and of itself. Kashima Shinto ryu bugei, as an entity beyond a simple collection of tricks and strategies for fighting, materializes when taken in total, when all twelve bujutsu disciplines are melded into a single budo.
    this guy is making a mistake. Kashima Shinryu is, as far as I know, the only Kashima school that has instruction in the US (I'm at one), and our headmaster is 19th gen (Kashima Shinto Ryu is 65th generation), and he just described all our different diciplines. Ergo, he's confused us for our sister school. Common mistake. (He also seems to have a giant hardon for us. Not that I blame him.)

http://www.kashima-shinryu.jp/English/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Araki Ryu [1] [2]
    c. 1600
    Founded by Araki (Mujinsai) Mataemon Minamoto Hidetsuna (c. 1584-1638).
    Ariki Hidetsuna was skilled in - amongst others - the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and in the Muso Jikiden Ryu

These guys are also pretty interesting. The first kata they learn is a technique for kiling someone while serving them tea. They take that kind of approach to combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick note- using two swords at one is hard. If I recall correctly, dual sword samurai used to be easy to spot, because one shoulder was dramatically overdeveloped.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast