Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/30/2005 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Water weight fluxuations

I was curious about how the body reacts to weight training as far as retaining water. Last week I've held off on weight training because I was getting some other stuff done instead, but one thing I've noticed is every time I skip a week of weight training I drop a couple of pounds. When I start back up again, it goes right back up to where it used to be.

The thing is I eat the same whether I'm doing any weight training or not. I'm trying to shed extra weight, so as long as I'm making strength gains, I keep my calories at a reasonable level (somewhere around 2000 - 2400), and it's been working to gradually drop weight, since I'm not in a hurry. But I seem to be hanging on to a couple of pounds of water weight while I'm weight training, and shed it when I take a week off.

Now this isn't a problem, I'm just curious if it is water weight (which I'm almost positive, since my bodyweight goes up and down by a couple of pounds in a couple of days with no change in eating habits), and if that is a natural reaction (storing water to aid in recovery or something).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 12:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wondered just how much "water weight" I have. I tend to drink about 96-128 ounces of water (not including any other beverages here, of which I drink probably 24 ounces or more on a usual day) a day, if not more. I get headaches if I do not drink this much water.

Personally, I think drinking that much water proves that I'm an alien, but feel free to try to change my mind with "facts" and "reasoning."

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 1:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that I do indeed retain more water when I weight train, but only to the tune of about 2 lbs. +/- .2 lbs

Also, the more water you drink, the less water you retain. (That's how my body works anyway)

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 4:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macistani
    I've noticed that I do indeed retain more water when I weight train, but only to the tune of about 2 lbs. +/- .2 lbs

Also, the more water you drink, the less water you retain. (That's how my body works anyway)
    Yeah 2lbs is what my usual difference is as well. As for retaining less water, I know that when I drink only a little more than usual, I have to hit the urinal a lot more, so yeah I think I'm the same way.

garbonzobean,
    That's a gallon of water a day. You get headaches if you don't drink a gallon of water? Wow, that's rough. I have to drink half a gallon, but on BJJ days, I drink about a gallon (I drink half a gallon during class).
    Jaguar's MMA record

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 12:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    Yeah 2lbs is what my usual difference is as well. As for retaining less water, I know that when I drink only a little more than usual, I have to hit the urinal a lot more, so yeah I think I'm the same way.

garbonzobean,
    That's a gallon of water a day. You get headaches if you don't drink a gallon of water? Wow, that's rough. I have to drink half a gallon, but on BJJ days, I drink about a gallon (I drink half a gallon during class).
    Okay okay, I admit: SOMETIMES I drink 64. I don't always get headaches (and they are mild), but if I do, a glass of water makes it go away.

Today's total will be 96, though.

Edit: In case anyone is curious how/why I keep track of this, I pretty much only drink water out of a set of 32 ounce cups. And my nalgene bottle is 32 ounces. So there.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/01/2005 12:36am at .

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drink a huge amount of water too, in the last hour I think I've had almost two litres (I keep refilling a 600ml bottle)

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just banged 6 liters through the course of 12 hours. I generally drink about a gallon or more a day.

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, I drink 128 oz of water a day, I drink exclusively from a 32 oz water bottle (because I'm lazy and hate doing dishes, so I have one bottle, one pan, one pot, and diposable plates and spoons/forks). I drink 32 oz for each meal (3 meals) and one after training.

My piss is crystal clear and I feel good.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    11/01/2005 1:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez man, we all use 32oz bottles and cups. They should rename that to one "American Cup" (instead of the standard 8oz "cup"). Because Big Gulp is too cartoony and generally associated with soda.
    Jaguar's MMA record