Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2005 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've heard some very strange things. 10 sets of 3 is the waterbury method which is meant for a combination of hypertrophy and strength. It is not a pure powerlifting program.

Doing excessive reps will only delay muscle recovery and also burn muscle.
    Legendary Street Fighter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2005 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor
    You've heard some very strange things. 10 sets of 3 is the waterbury method which is meant for a combination of hypertrophy and strength. It is not a pure powerlifting program.

Are you addressing me? I didn't even mention 10x3 in my post.

I know about 10x3, and yes I believe it's a good program. But don't try and say that "high reps" burns muscle. Maybe if you work out for more than 1.5 hours and don't drink a post-workout shake.

Muscle recovery is relative, and overtraining is overrated. If you are improving in some manner every workout/phase, feeling motivated while working out, and sleeping & eating well, you are not overtraining. End of story. Quit making up excuses not to lift heavy ass weights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2005 2:05am

Style: Shuai Jiao/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor

Anything that has you do reps as low as three, is more focused on strength than hypertrophy or endurance.

Doing excessive reps will not burn muscle, unless you're working out for hours.

~~~

Let me change something here. Let's say that this person does not go to failure, but rather close to it. So he'll be doing drop sets or pyramiding down; but not going to failure on any of those sets. I don't think it'll be too big of a difference, but I suppose your CNS won't get killed that much. From my understandin, he will need a long long rest period, and it will most likely be inefficient, if compared to a normal routine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, let me change the scenario again:

Say this person has a powerlifting routine, which he follows in the mornings. Lifts heavy, and from everyone's point of view, he's pretty much done.

Would it be any good if he added an endurance session at the end of the day, maybe in the evening? So, maybe he'll do some compound bodyweight exercises in the evening (pushups, dips, etc), following the his powerlifting routine in the mornings.

Would this possibly be overtraining? Since he's basically doing two different workouts at the same time; though one's focused on strength, and the other, endurance. But since they're working different muscle fibers, it may be ok, no?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12