Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 11:53am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Injury Thread

This is something that Iíve been wanting to do for a while. In fact, I tried it once before and it failed miserably. Nevertheless, I hope that everyone will contribute their data to this version for the good of the forum; nay for the glory of humankind.

Please note that this thread is for MA and MA-related injuries only.

Please fill out the following information:

1. Your most recent injury:

2. Cause (please be as detailed as possible):

3. Your initial diagnosis:

4. Medical diagnosis:

5. Time and place of injury:

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain):

7. What activities may have contributed to the likelihood of this injury?

8. Method of treatment:

9. Recovery time:

10: Current status of injury (including a pain rating between 1 and 10:

11. Please state your style of MA (including the style you were practicing when the injury occurred):

12. Cost:

If Iíve forgotten anything of value, please PM me and Iíll edit into the original post.

Pain scale: 1=mild discomfort somewhere in the realm of being itchy. 4=discomfort of a common sort (e.g. a pronounced headache or a runny ass. 7=the kind of acute pain that probably keeps you from sleeping and that even tough guys will consult a doctor over. 10=Unbelievable, searing, blinding, inhuman pain. You can probably only begin to imagine what this feels like.
    Last edited by Bang!; 10/27/2005 3:24pm at .

('._.)

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 12:35pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Broken arm, both pipes in my left arm completely broke in half

2. We were doing some retarded game where we were supposed to roll over boxes after jumping over them, I jumped too high and went with my head down...put my hand in front of me and it shattered

3. Your initial diagnosis: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

4. Medical diagnosis: Youīre fucked

5. Time and place of injury: It was 4-5 years ago at a TKD class

6. 11, worst day of my life

7. Being a dumbass

8. Two surgeries, wearing a cast for 3 months

9. N/A

10: 2, sometimes hurts a little when I put pressure on it. Otherwise its alright

Dad

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 12:43pm

Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Your most recent injury: Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament)

2. Cause (please be as detailed as possible): improper landing after a jump kick.

3. Your initial diagnosis: "just popped my knee, I'll be alright"

4. Medical diagnosis: "Your ACL is torn in two"

5. Time and place of injury: During a belt test.

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain): It hurt and I felt a "pop". pain of 8 immediately reducing to about 3 unless I tried to walk on it (back to 8)

7. What activities may have contributed to the likelihood of this injury? jumping and turning at the same time.

8. Method of treatment:surgery. Replaced ACL with patellar tendon material harvested from the same leg.

9. Recovery time: Back in class in 1 month (restricted). Full release after 11 months.

10: Current status of injury (including a pain rating between 1 and 10: Injury is now 18 months old. Completely healed. Feels slightly numb to pressure.
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 1:10pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Torn left trapezius.

At some point in the 8/29 Vaillencourt/Teeman fight at the Beaumont in KC (I'm Vaillencourt) I wrenched my neck, probably when eating an illegal knee to the head at about 1:25 of round one.

None. Didn't feel a thing until after the fight...started cramping and refused to move without intense pain.

4. Medical diagnosis:

Torn left Trapezius muscle.

See above.

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain):

When injury became apparent, pain level 7.5. It was a sharp, stabbing pain along the entire muscle whenever I attempted to move the head from "neutral" position..

Getting knee'd in the head, cage fighting in general.

8. Method of treatment:

Abject stupidity. Started training again after 2 weeks, subsequently aggravating injury and prolonging recovery.

9. Recovery time:

Now healed to about 98% capacity after about 6.5 weeks.

98% capacity, minimal discomfort under extreme usage, pain level 1.5.

The moral of the story is: "Let your **** heal before you make it worse, dumbass!"

Edit: I study Amercan jujitsu. Which is like doing judo, bjj, and kickboxing all at once.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 10/27/2005 2:45pm at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this is somewhat MA related. Although it did not happen while I was taking an MA, nor did it happen in a fight, it is a somewhat common injury, so I thought I'd share. It's also the most recent injury I've gone in for medical attention with.

Please fill out the following information:

Hairline metacarpal fracture of the small finger (boxer's fracture)

General: Punching something harder than my hand. Specific: Downward punch to a wooden/carpeted stair in a fit of rage. Impact with bottom 2 knuckles and significant body weight.

"I think it's broken"

4. Medical diagnosis:
    "It's broken"

November(ish) 2000

Initial numbness/pain of 1, gradually increasing to 5 over a 15 minute timeframe, to 6 or 7 if pressure applied or movement attempted.

Extreme stupidity, Hulk Smash.

8. Method of treatment:
    Splinted finger/hand. Cast recommended, but my finals were coming up and I required my right hand for drafting.

9. Recovery time:
    Splint came off in 2 weeks

0 - fully healed, no after effects. Extremely minor lateral bonegrowth at the injury. No abnormal bend in finger thanks to splint/immobilization

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 1:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pulled back muscle.

Upa'ed to the left and then to the right in quick succession before I was warmed up and stretched out.

I'm going to have to sit out for a couple weeks due to my own stupidity.

4. Medical diagnosis:
    Any doctor that my insurance would pay for isn't going to know anything I don't about healing my back muscle.

1.5 weeks ago.

Not very high in pain related to other injuries. More annoying than painful.

Being retarded and rolling before class when we haven't stretched or warmed up yet. :icon_joke

8. Method of treatment:
    Using a heating pad when I play X-box.

9. Recovery time:
    Only working my top game for another 1.5 weeks. 3 weeks total.

Annoying.

Attempting not to get anxious and do something that might reinjure the muscle. Scrapper's right about taking the time to let injuries heal. There is a difference between training around injuries, training with injuries, and royally screwing up your body. A guy I train with pulled back muscle deadlifting and has been out for 6 months because he kept training on it.
    Last edited by relytjj; 10/27/2005 1:36pm at .

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Your most recent injury: Broken Right Clavicle

2. Cause (please be as detailed as possible): Got someones back, applied RNC without getting hooks in or figure four...victim attempted to scramble up, his 205 and my 235 promptly crashed down on my right clavicle.

3. Your initial diagnosis: I broke it.

4. Medical diagnosis: You broke it.

5. Time and place of injury: 11AM on the mats

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain): Initially just a fuzzy feeling, immediate swelling...first time I've ever broken anything and it just didn't feel "right". Brief feeling of naseau (spelling) about 20 minutes later at which time I stopped rolling. I'm not trying to be manly but the pain was about a 2...no real "pain" but discomfort. Like I said, rolled for 20 minutes after injury, went and got all you can eat chicken wings, and visited the Doctor the next day...never even took an aspirin.

7. What activities may have contributed to the likelihood of this injury? Pretending to be a fighter.

8. Method of treatment: Couldn't do **** for a while.

9. Recovery time: 3 months

10: Current status of injury (including a pain rating between 1 and 10: Healed, no pain.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Your most recent injury: forcefully 'sprained' ankle

2. Cause (please be as detailed as possible): didn't realize i was in trouble, and the other guy cranked a toe hold, from 0 pressure to 100%.

3. Your initial diagnosis: POP!! oww. ligaments and such felt ok. after 30 minutes, i figured nothing was torn, just stretched.

4. Medical diagnosis: whatever ligament anchors the toe tendons at the ankle is torn, but will heal by itself.

5. Time and place of injury: 3 weeks ago on the mat

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain): when it makes that loud a noise, you pause a bit. it was the kind of weakness where you can't move it or put weight on it. i'll give it a 6--less than tearing my acl.

7. What activities may have contributed to the likelihood of this injury? full go with ankle locks when i'm oblivious to entering into those techniques.

8. Method of treatment: i ice it throughout the day at work. 15min clips every hour when i'm dilligent; lately 3 or 4 times a day.

9. Recovery time: i was on the mat with it taped up in under a week. that's for randori and newaza. still recovering though, as it's painful to the touch.

10: Current status of injury (including a pain rating between 1 and 10: still healing. again, i'm back on the mat with some restrictions; i don't fully sink my left (injured) hook. last night practicing foot sweeps with a noob, the direct kick to the swollen tendon was an eye opener. aside from that, during everyday activity, it's at 1 or 2.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Your most recent injury: Herniated cervical disc. (I don't count bumps and bruises ~ I planted my shoulder on the concrete wrong last week, it hurts a bit, but not an "injury" too much)

2. Cause (please be as detailed as possible): Being beaten about the head, turning my head too fast, falling on concrete maybe. (my best guesses)

3. Your initial diagnosis: Fucked up neck.

4. Medical diagnosis: Herniated disk I think C3-4

5. Time and place of injury: 5 or 6 years ago

6. Sensation during occurrence of injury (including a rating, between 1 and 10 of the pain): I can't pin the injury date down. I think it was more successive accumulation, but I don't know.

7. What activities may have contributed to the likelihood of this injury? Fighting.

8. Method of treatment: Hot pack, stretching, pain meds when it gets really bad. My pain is constant.

9. Recovery time: Never.

10: Current status of injury (including a pain rating between 1 and 10: Today, it's effecting my arm a little bit, thankfully that's not everyday. Usually just goes into my head. Pain rating? About a 5.

Edit:
    11. Please state your style of MA (including the style you were practicing when the injury occurred): CMA
    Last edited by Mr. Mantis; 10/27/2005 2:40pm at .

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dislocated Ring finger right hand ( set it my self)

Jammed it while hitting the heavy bag

Dislocated finger

4. Medical diagnosis:

Dislocated finger ( I should have been a doctor)

During the week, basement.

Hmmm, I guess a 2 or 3, with 1 being a bitch slap and 10 falling on your head from an airplane.

Hitting the bag and the bag hitting back.

8. Method of treatment:

Rest, immpobilisation.

9. Recovery time:

Too fucking long !!
    Workout wise, a few days, but using the hand, 2 weeks ( I know...I am a glutton for pain).

THERE IS NO PAIN !!

Addition!!!

11. Please state your style of MA (including the style you were practicing when the injury occurred):

I am a master of all styles.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast