Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 11:48am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Coming up with a weekly eating schedule

I am 21 years old, I weigh around 155 pounds, and stand at 5'10. I am in decent shape, although have some fat over my gut from drinking too much beer and my pecks have some fat I'd like to get rid of as well. I work a desk job, 9 - 6 every day, and have decided to start going to a local gym here in Austin (South Austin Gym, off Lamar), and will hopefully be taking some boxing as well as general running/weight training.

My goals: To get in really good shape, and be as healthy as I can more then anything. Sure, I want to learn to box and be able to hold my own in a fight, but that isn't as important to me as being healthy and looking good. I don't see myself getting very competitive either (although that could change), I just see boxing as a fun way to keep myself motivated. In terms of my body, I'd like to be cut more then large. Yes, I want some muscle, but I do not want to have huge muscles. I'd say going from 155 - 150 after fat loss, then 150 - 160 in muscle gain would be about right, while bringing down my body fat for a more "toned" look.

So, I understand that the first step in this is my diet. After talking it over with a friend who has been weight training, although for gaining mass which I don't think I want to do as much, I have a general idea of what I need to do but would love some more advice and ideas on things to eat throughout the day.

The plan:

6 meals per day: Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, shake

My schedule: Wake up at 8am, get to work by 9, lunch time is 12ish, off work at 6, at gym by 6:30 - 7, home by 8:30 - 9.

How I assume my meals will fit into that schedule: Wake up at 8am, breakfast around 8:30, work at 9, snack around 10:30, lunch at 12:30, snack at 2:30, off work at 6, dinner at 6:15, gym by 6:30/7, protein shake after gym around 8:30.

I will be working out 4 times per week.

What we figured was I should be getting around 2,500 - 3,000 calories per day: Carbs > Protein > Fat

Now, assuming all of this is right, I need some ideas or websites with ideas on things I can eat throughout the day for those meals, so I can make myself a chart of my options so I can keep at least a little bit of variety.

As of now, I know how a few of the meals will generally be:

Breakfast: Glass of milk, and a banana
    Snacks: Fruit, nuts, lots of water
    After workout: Shake, one of which that I really like consists of: 2 cups of milk, 2 tablespoons of PB, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 or 2 bananas which I think adds up to around 900 calories.

One other thing to note is I am by no means rich, my job pays well, but not enough to spend lots of money on supplements, so being able to do everything just by shopping at a normal store would help. Also take into account that I have to bring 2 of the snacks, and lunch to work with me, and possibly my before workout dinner. We have a refrigerator and microwave here that I can use.

If you've read this far, and want to give me some advice on things to eat, or advice in general as I'm sure some of this isn't right I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
  2. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat whatever food Mrs. Praxx prepares for the family...but you can't have any because I can barely afford the 9 of us.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could feed those 6 daughters you have in your avatar for a week or two...

For cheap + healthy you really can't beat canned beans. Or eggs. Brown rice. Flank steak. whole rotisserie chickens are like $4.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    I could feed those 6 daughters you have in your avatar for a week or two...

For cheap + healthy you really can't beat canned beans. Or eggs. Brown rice. Flank steak. whole rotisserie chickens are like $4.
    I'd feed them protein shakes, straight from the source.
  5. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to apologize for being responsible for this 3 post thread destruction.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I would like to apologize for being responsible for this 3 post thread destruction.
    It was doomed before it even began.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 6:48pm

Style: tiger/leopard

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    protein, protein, protein. Meat is the muscle maker. All carbs do for you is provide energy. If you don't burn them off it turns to ****, as you noticed with the beer. I recently got myself back on the protein diet. Been on it for four days and dropped 2 belt notches.

Good investment: BLENDER!!! Protien powder+soy milk+peanut butter+ice=a helluva meal replacement. LOTS OF PROTIEN THERE!

Seriously, do this and you will notice results immediatly.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack28110
    protein, protein, protein. Meat is the muscle maker. All carbs do for you is provide energy. If you don't burn them off it turns to ****, as you noticed with the beer. I recently got myself back on the protein diet. Been on it for four days and dropped 2 belt notches.

Good investment: BLENDER!!! Protien powder+soy milk+peanut butter+ice=a helluva meal replacement. LOTS OF PROTIEN THERE!

I am going to buy a steak and rub it directly on my arms!
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 8:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must have misunderstood...I thought "Protein, Protein, Protein" was his attempt at a sexual advance. :lame:

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 9:44am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack28110

And what fuels muscle synthesis? That's right, carbs. In fact, one of the best foods to have after lifting is a Clif bar, because it has the perfect ratio of 4:1 carbs - protein.

The issue with beer isn't carbs, it's alcohol. A gram of alcohol has 7 calories, while a gram of carbs has 4 calories (protein is the same).

I have a nice setup at work where I can basically get up and eat whenever. I currently have turkey burgers and chicken thighs in the fridge here, already cooked from home. When I'm hungry, I grab some and eat a reasonable amount (no more than 600 calories per meal) depending on what time of the day it is. If it's before my workout, I lean heavier on protein. After a workout, heavier on carbs. For dinner, I try to have as little carbs as possiblem which is usually meat with a shitload of steamed veggies.

You also can't go wrong with Fish in a Bag or canned fish. You can have up to two packages or two cans a week of tuna or salmon without worrying about mercury intake. A 7oz bag of tuna will cost you about $2.50, and contains healthy essential fatty acids and a whopping 40g of protein. If you used a protein supplement, such as Designer Whey, you'd have to put more than 2 scoops into your smoothie to get the equivalent (one scoop = 18g protein).

Basically, just make a shitload of food on your day off, put it in containers, and enjoy the rest of the week. I like to make a week's worth of pasta, put it in the fridge, then put different sauces on a portion every day. Italian style (pasta sauce), Asian style (peanut sauce), etc.