Posted On:
    10/28/2005 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An old injury that flaired up.
    It was no big deal.
    I'm sure we could find someone else for you to hit if you'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The training we do in Yiliquan is very heavy handed... We hit each other with quite a bit of "oomph" on a regular basis. One thing that really caught my attention was the instructor at the seminar I attended, smaller in stature than I am (I'm no giant; 5' 8" tall, 220ish lbs), allowed me to hit him with everything I had. Not being one to pass up that kind of offer (and having been "conditioned" by my seniors to do as I was instructed if told to hit as hard as I could...), I obliged him. He absorbed two nearly full power punches to the chest/abdomen, with no perceptible effect. Even if he was just "sucking it up," there'd be some reaction... With him, there was none.

I got hit by several others, and their strikes, seemingly limp-wristed :gay: and wimpy, were hitting with a good amount of pop. Being in an internal style already, I didn't prejudge such odd looking striking methods, but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with their ability to strike with power at any angle with no "wind up" or preparation.

That's the main reason I joined the Seattle group... That and their people are cool as hell. Systema folks tend, for some reason I don't fully understand (or care to examine overly much), to be pretty humble, kind, hospitable, and approachable. That makes training very easy...

Anyway.

Systemavin

Though I doubt I'll ever make it to Ireland (God knows I'd love to; apparently part of my family came to the US from Scotland via Ulster quite a few generations back, and I'd love to know more about my family history), maybe we'll get a chance to meet if you ever head up to Canada to train with Vlad during one of his camps. I never doubted the veracity of your claims... I'm usually the kind of guy that'll allow a person their story until it gets too weird to believe off hand. Glad you're enjoying your training... Seems interesting to note that yet another Booj guy is also doing Systema. Seems to be a common thing...

Enjoy. :XXcompute
    Last edited by Matt Stone; 10/28/2005 11:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2005 10:26am

Style: Systema/ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Matt, I sure you are a good martial artist. You have one thing that most dont have is humility and are not full of pride. I not here to promote systema or anything else. Just would like to share my experiences. I train with alot of bouncers etc, from time to time and although they do not train in the system and stated the following: They have not seen anything that compares in 20 yrs, and that Vlad is at a level that all 15th Dans and above should be, How good is he. For me I would rather take the advice of a professional with experience. In Moscow I spoke to as Major in the Russian Military (Intelligence). He said that MIchael is special. When someone like that says it you have to listen and take thier word for it. All of us cant be wrong. Good luck with your training, for what it is worth, there are good martial artists training in different styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 4:38pm

Style: Systema/ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Syatema

Interesting that no one has tried to counter my arguments that Systema is not anti-semmitic, not racial and that it is not an off shoot of kadichnikovs system, etc. In my opinion anyone who is serious should try different styles. Why not take the time and effort to go and train in either Canada or Russia? Only when u do,have you earned the right to have ago and slag the system off. In my humble opinion good martial artists have an open mind and a flexilbe approach to their training and development.

Vinny Campbell
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123