Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 9:23am

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    As this is not about Therien's, but NX, why not mention that in the header?

On the other hand, they offer BJJ and MMA - do they have anyone competing in MMA yet?
    http://www.nxmartialarts.com/english/news/index.html

Sensei Alain does compete. I was at a seminar at the school on the weekend(not by the main instructors) nice club, good location. Don't like it? Don't go. Not a lot of option in the deep east end for anything at all. There is a MMA class on Saturdays, check it out and let us know what you think.

You sound like a Therien JJ student. This wasnt about me going, its about is this school merely a Mcdojo or is it a Bullshido school. Just because its one of the only schools in the east does not make it a good school by default. More **** added to a pile of **** doesnt make it any sweeter. By the look of the site, and what it offers, it looks like a bullshit school. They teach 'sport' kickboxing, but in the kickboxing schedule their is no actual sparring. They have an XMA team, and they call their JJ new and improved....bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 9:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    "This is a breakoff school of Therien Can Ryu Jiu Jitsu." You should know it is very difficult to find any school teaching western style jiu jitsu in Ottawa that is not a breakaway of Therien's, or the George Sylvain lineage from which Therien's comes from.

"What is Can Ryu ?" It's the Canadian style of jiu jitsu, sort of like American jiu jitsu, but a little more diplomatic. As a style, it's been kicking around since the '60's and is taught literally from coast to coast in Canada.

What the hell is western JJ? You mean American or Can JJ? So like two versions then? Cuz there are a lot of JJ in Ottawa, and not all of them are western. Besides who wants to learn the western version? I did my time in CRJJ, and I stopped about 8 years ago. Now the **** I learnt doesnt even look like the **** they teach now.

Oh and who teaches the BJJ/MMA classes? I looked at all the 'teachers' on the site, and they all say the same thing. They have 'knowledge' of BJJ. Thats code for we suck.

Oh and just in case none of you are convinced on the whole Bullshido/McDojo debate, I give you evidence:

FIRST "HEAT SHIELD" SPECIAL TACTICS COURSE

DATE: October 22nd and 23rd 2005

FINALLY, There's A Quick & Simple Way To Become SAFE, CONFIDENT and POWERFUL... in no time flat!

What do you get when you condense 45 years of military, security and martial arts experience all into one short easy-to-learn explosive self-defense course ???

The amazing HEAT Shield System.

With this incredible easy-to-learn self-defense "shield" system, you can learn to defeat any attacker, start feeling confident and better about yourself... all in only eight hours! Click here to find out more about this incredible course!

Secrets of Combat is THE source for a completely new level of self-defense, physical conditioning and mind development information. From our FREE newsletter PACKED full of valuable, useful information, to our mother-of-all courses and training seminars - completely guaranteed unconditionally!

Visit SECRETSofCOMBAT.com for more details.

Oh and just to see for my own eyes, they offer a week of classes for 20$. Ill do the rounds, and write up a report. But I have to do it quietly now that one of theirs has posted...shhhhhh
    Last edited by Jaric; 10/27/2005 9:51am at .

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it odd to go from Therien JJ , list big names from the world kobudo federation as your help and aid:

Through the World Kobudo Federation, both Senseis have consistently been experimenting other martial arts such as:

KICKBOXING
    With “The Iceman” Jean-Yves Thériault, 23 times World Kickboxing Champion

KOBUDO
    With Kyoshi Cezar Borkowski, founder of “Northern Karate Schools” in Toronto

GOSHINDO
    With Kyoshi Alain Sailly, founder of Goshindo and of “Alain Sailly Dojo d’Arts Martiaux” in France

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU
    With Wagney Fabiano, Black Belt with Nova Uniao BJJ

FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS
    With Guro Jun De Leon, founder of “Kali De Leon” International

JIU-JITSU
    With Soke Richard Morris, co-founder of the World Kobudo Federation

And still perform that craptastic XMA show without shame while hosting a kindergarten. I don't know about the instructors and their skill. They may be ok, but I really don't agree with that concept.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 10:44am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    And still perform that craptastic XMA show without shame while hosting a kindergarten. I don't know about the instructors and their skill. They may be ok, but I really don't agree with that concept.
    That's par for the course. I'd say that very commercial studios often lead the way in getting grappling into their schools, since they have the money and motivation to hop on trends. Locally, the last time I saw BJJ demonstrated for a group was from the same school that had a whole "karate kidz" thing, choerographed self-defense, etc. In fact, the grappling happened in the *middle* of one of these cheesy things.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/27/2005 4:36pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What the hell is western JJ? You mean American or Can JJ? So like two versions then? Cuz there are a lot of JJ in Ottawa, and not all of them are western. Besides who wants to learn the western version? I did my time in CRJJ, and I stopped about 8 years ago. Now the **** I learnt doesnt even look like the **** they teach now.

Oh and who teaches the BJJ/MMA classes? I looked at all the 'teachers' on the site, and they all say the same thing. They have 'knowledge' of BJJ. Thats code for we suck. "

Western jiu jitsu is not brazillian, not Japanese Koryu. as most jiu jitsu taught in North America is a mix of Judo and karate(including Can-ryu, a mix of Kawaishi Judo/jiu jitsu and Chito -ryu karate as its base).
    Who wants to learn the westernversion? if you're not interested in it all, why does this bother you? Thought you were doing WC @ Heritage with Rick H.

Don't know who teaches the BJJ/MMA class, not my school. If knowledge of BJJ =code for we suck, how come Sensei Alain came in 1st place at an open grappling championship in Montreal?

what they are doing at NX is not Can-ryu(as you knew it). That is where majority of their training comes from, for sure, but they are working on developing their own style. They are honest as to what their training background is, give appropriate credit to their instructors, admit some of their training is from seminars only. Don't like what they do? Eh, I'm sure they will loose sleep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 9:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said earlier, I am looking at this club closely becuase my friend is thinking of joining it. I dont want him wasting his time and his money on a Bullshido school. From the website it looks like one, hence my questions. I dont want to do western JJ again thank you very much, my problem is people 'creating' new styles. Especially when the teachers look like 22.

Like I said, I wanted to know who teaches the BJJ because rank can be accounted for. I was under the impression there was only 2 schools in Ottawa that teach BJJ.

So you know what school I go to CD, what school do you go to?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 10:15am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the first question would be why is your friend interested in this school, is it location, is it what they teach? You must admit, you seem biased against it, both as a "new style" (valid concern) and as a western JJ school. Kinda two strikes against it.

I don't know who teaches the BJJ, you could always ask them. Would you be surprised to find out Ronin or OAMA were spreading their influence? The head instructor at OAMA used to teach BJJ at East Wind and Therien before starting his own club.

You got me figured out for which school I go to. I am a Therien student, I know the instructors at NX, but don't train with them anymore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vanier club? How long have you gone to the club for?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CDnronin: You're a Therien student and still feel that "western" jujitsu is lacking or is a poor choice compared to Japanese and Brazilian?
    More human than human is our motto.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was actually a fairly good demo. they have a fairly good student base as i could see. but still i wonder if it's an effective system. They were doing some caporiera in some of their demonstrations but it did not look so smooth.
    Last edited by GenkiSudo; 10/28/2005 11:03am at .
    GS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast