Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 9:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure what you are asking...
    I am sure there are many MA instructors of native MA in every country, they just don't advertise for many reasons.
    Commercially, I doubt they would do that good if they did, they would have to make a huge statement, ala the Garcies, to bring attention to their MA and very few MA instructors are up for a challenge like that.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Um, er, Boxing.
    phrost says boxing is not a martial art. he says it is a sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:02am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    Sadly, those medieval masters who taught hand to hand, as well as weapons, did not come up with catchy names for fighting. :pity: Like Deja-Fu, Sna-Fu, Okidoki etc. Wrestling is wrestling, boxing is boxing, savate comes from old shoe (booting). Ok pankration aside, but even that means "all-powers". Nothing fancy like Plum Blossom Hayakudaki-Fu-Jitsu. Not much mystique, which people seem to expect from martial arts (read: bullshido).
    It's the TV and movies (silly movies, that is).

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    Well let's clarify:

Why don't the Polynesians and Africans etc have advertised schools? It's all word of mouth and somebody-who-know-somebody.

As Osiris said notably "Other cultures haven't pimped [their MA] out".
    I'd much rather my arts had stayed word-of-mouth. I hate that the Filipino martial arts are gaining a broader audience. My first FMA instructor was one of those "somebody who knows somebody".
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But exposure is a double edged escrima stick, poidog. On one hand, more people will know about Filipino MA. On the other, people will McDojofy it.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:36am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fma is for filippinos only! no wait. ****

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    But exposure is a double edged escrima stick, poidog. On one hand, more people will know about Filipino MA. On the other, people will McDojofy it.
    To be honest, I'm an INCREDIBLY SELFISH ASS. I don't want more people to know about FMA. I want to be one of the select few who know about it. Same reason I enlisted in the Corps (and almost enlisted in the French Foreign Legion), I wanted to achieve something not everyone does. Plus, the less people know about FMA, the harder for them to defend against it. Same reason BJJ was unstoppable when it appeared on the mainstream scene back in '93. No one knew how to defend against it. As always, just my $.02.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re. Maori MA - they are still widely taught in New Zealand and different tribes teach different styles, but they are usually considered to be tapu taonga (sacred cultural treasures) and are not often taught openly or to people outside particular families/tribes. There is at least one organisation that is trying to modernize the Maori systems and which will teach anyone who is serious about learning.

Re. historical European MA - there are now hundreds of schools around the world teaching systems of sword fighting, stick fighting, unarmed combat, dagger combat, etc. directly derived from fighting treatises produced between the 1300s-1900s. Try a Google search for "historical fencing", "historical European martial arts", etc. There is a huge amount of online information about these systems.

Re. "living lineage" European arts - again, many styles are still practiced. Boxing and savate are the best known examples, but you also have stick fighting systems such as Juego del Palo (Canary Islands), Jogo do Pau (Portugal), Paranza (Italy), la Canne de Combat (France), etc. as well as numerous wrestling systems - Icelandic Glima, Scottish back-hold, la lucha Canaria, Swedish Svingen, etc.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way I can see Non Asian MAs getting more popular, is if their practitioners start doing well in competitions, maybe movies or Saturday morning cartoons.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 2:38pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost think there is a backlash against western martial arts where I live - the only people that bring them up around me are 1) SCA spaz-dorks 2) Ren-'faire' spaz-dorks 3)AngrySpastic.

The spastisism seems to be a common thread.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast