Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 6:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are non-Asian MA doomed to obscurity?

I was having a conversation with my Maori neighbour regarding MA. He has done a Japanese style and screams like a little girl when I apply wrestling holds (no, not really).

He said that he has never heard of Maori MA. I responded "What did you fight the British with hand-to-hand then?"

He said "The patau, the tei'aha..."

I said "The employment of a weapon or piece of anatomy in a systematic fashion IS an MA".

The Maori around here have Mau (unarmed fighting) and Mau Rakau (armed fighting) classes around here, but why aren't they listed in the Yellow Pages? I mean, the tei'aha lets you cut off heads, smash people roundhouse style AND cleave people down the middle. That's clearly very cool.

Same goes for African MA etc.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Counter examples; BJJ, boxing, wrestling and savate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate I'll grant you is gaining popularity and kicks arse (very literally); wrestling of any sort is not favoured in Oz and BJJ is derived from an Asian style.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you use the term 'martial art' in sweden usually people only think of the asian stuff. Boxing is just boxing to most people and if you are not wearing gi's and coloured belts you are not doing MA.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because people are idiots. Direct them to the nearest skilled Glimmemen and post the vids.
    What am I?:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 7:58am

Style: Goju Kai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Arts always has that whole asian stigmata attatched to it for most. It doesnt help westers MA that one of the most well known westernized MA's is tae bo...

jokes like that aside (yes its a joke) its games like tekken that surprisingly piqued my interest in MA's out of asia, most noticably Krav Maga and Capoeria. I mean, cmon, if you ever wanna describe the latter to someone, you just say "that breakdancy-thing eddie from tekken does" :P

Brazilian Jiu Jutsu, though derived from asian style has the titular advantage, so im grouping it as westernized. (also because its most prominent representatives arent asian)

you also gotta remember that a lot of western martial arts, such as swordplay in medieval times and the martial arts learnt by ancient greek/roman troopers were just that, army oriented and therefore died out with their respective falls. If anything, you'd need a historian to learn them :P

Just something I was thinkin about.

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 8:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, er, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 8:54am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, those medieval masters who taught hand to hand, as well as weapons, did not come up with catchy names for fighting. :pity: Like Deja-Fu, Sna-Fu, Okidoki etc. Wrestling is wrestling, boxing is boxing, savate comes from old shoe (booting). Ok pankration aside, but even that means "all-powers". Nothing fancy like Plum Blossom Hayakudaki-Fu-Jitsu. Not much mystique, which people seem to expect from martial arts (read: bullshido).

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 9:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In europe you wil find schools of medieval and renassaince MA.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 9:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well let's clarify:

Why don't the Polynesians and Africans etc have advertised schools? It's all word of mouth and somebody-who-know-somebody.

As Osiris said notably "Other cultures haven't pimped [their MA] out".
    What am I?:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast