Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 12:32pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This thread has potential!

Two instructors of two different schools, both of whom obviously dislike the other, accusations of Bullshido from both sides, accusations of dishonesty and suckitude from one side, and now a challenge to a fight to settle all differences.

:new_popco

I live in Pittsburgh, and I've not been to either school, but have read positive things about each in other forums. Read Bob Barnum's (the owner of MAAP) blog here: http://fightingwords.pittsburghboxing.com/, he doesn't sound like he's full of ****. His equipment and other advice seems to be on the money (although I am *far* from an expert). The pictures on Bob's site (http://www.themaap.com/gallery.htm) also look like people training with legitimate gear, and training hard. We have a statement in this thread from a former student of Bob's that at MAAP, they spar full contact.

As for Stephen and Sit Dragon Leg--they also look legit. Statements from a current student, and pics from his site also seem to support that Stephen is not peddling bullshido (http://www.sit-dragonleg.com/pgh_thai_gallery.htm).

Bob/Stephen:
    I've no knowledge of the nature of your disagreement, but I'd suggest that bad-mouthing each other in a public forum, like Bullshido, is not the place to settle it. While your dispute certainly is amusing reading, I don't think you're serving the best interests of your schools, or your students by airing your differences here.

Now that I've played Gandhi, and tried to be reasonable, I'll add this: if the two of you fight, please video it, and post it. Thanks!

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob,

You mentioned you studied muay thai. Whom did you train under and what are your teaching credentials in this art? Did you compete?

You also say you teach Sanda. again, Whom did you train under and what are your teaching credentials in this art? Did you compete?

Thanks,

-Bill Easlick

Steel Valley MMA

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blended

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog
    Two instructors of two different schools, both of whom obviously dislike the other, accusations of Bullshido from both sides, accusations of dishonesty and suckitude from one side, and now a challenge to a fight to settle all differences.

:new_popco

I live in Pittsburgh, and I've not been to either school, but have read positive things about each in other forums. Read Bob Barnum's (the owner of MAAP) blog here: http://fightingwords.pittsburghboxing.com/, he doesn't sound like he's full of ****. His equipment and other advice seems to be on the money (although I am *far* from an expert). The pictures on Bob's site (http://www.themaap.com/gallery.htm) also look like people training with legitimate gear, and training hard. We have a statement in this thread from a former student of Bob's that at MAAP, they spar full contact.

As for Stephen and Sit Dragon Leg--they also look legit. Statements from a current student, and pics from his site also seem to support that Stephen is not peddling bullshido (http://www.sit-dragonleg.com/pgh_thai_gallery.htm).

Bob/Stephen:
    I've no knowledge of the nature of your disagreement, but I'd suggest that bad-mouthing each other in a public forum, like Bullshido, is not the place to settle it. While your dispute certainly is amusing reading, I don't think you're serving the best interests of your schools, or your students by airing your differences here.

Now that I've played Gandhi, and tried to be reasonable, I'll add this: if the two of you fight, please video it, and post it. Thanks!
    I definitely agree. My policy has always been that he can say whatever he wants about me to his class. He tends to run his mouth and that's his personality - whatever floats your boat.

But, when he takes it to a public forum, I have to respond. To me the bottom line is if you're willing to talk ****, you should be ready to be called on it. I've called him out and now any continued back and forth is unnecessary. We either fight or listen to him explain his reasoning for not fighting a fake.

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blended

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelValleyMMA
    Bob,

You mentioned you studied muay thai. Whom did you train under and what are your teaching credentials in this art? Did you compete?

You also say you teach Sanda. again, Whom did you train under and what are your teaching credentials in this art? Did you compete?

Thanks,

-Bill Easlick

Steel Valley MMA
    MT under John Benec who was a PKA fighter and student of Chai in the 80's. I competed in FC rules in the mid 90's. I was certified as an Instructor in American Freestyle, which has MT, all the takedowns of san da, boxing, kali, grappling, JKD, etc in 97. My last promotion was in 2002 to 3rd Degree Blackbelt. Since then, I've focused on coaching ability - It doesn't really matter what I can do if I can't get my students to become good fighters.

This blended system is the source of Stephen's "not real MT" arguement. He's made it about others... and been called out over it... and backed down.

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbarnum
    American Freestyle, which has MT, all the takedowns of san da, boxing, kali, grappling, JKD, etc .

Thanks for the reply Bob. that's some style you've got there.. (look out Chuck Norris)

How many fighters do you have and where are they competing? Which styles?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234