Posted On:
    12/19/2006 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisaan
    Thanks, KID :occasion1

I recognize you from the K-1Fans forum (Pisand/Paisaan).

PS -- You fight in PA coming up?
    It's gonna be in April :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 7:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I've never heard of the USKA - who runs it and is it MuayThai?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 5:33pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my new students directed me here...after he posted.

The website with the theme song and pics was designed by one of my students at the time. Since we shared space with the karate kids, this was not completely under our control. So, I registered www.sit-dragonleg.com and recently www.pittsburghmuaythai.com for our muayThai program. Our program is based on the training I have had under my Thai instructors - including the legendary Matee Jedeepitak (Kangmongkorn). It is real muayThai and we compete against the best teams in North America, Europe, and we have fought in Thailand. So we are not a McDojo, but the old location is complete BULLSHIDO. They are not qualified to teach muayTHai, let alone the newest claim of Sanda. They don't fight, have virtually no record of competition under the new ownership and use the typical martial arts scams to lure unsuspecting patrons. I have had 4 of their students now leave and come train with us and were pleasantly surprised to find we don't blow smoke up their asses and take their money and give them a false sense of what muayThai really is.
    Hello,

I used to go to the MAAP, so it's possible we have met before. I'd like to say that Stephan is a top notch instructor with alot of fight experiance. He's a pretty cool guy too. Now, I don't know about this Sanda at the MAAP, i guess it's because I left the school when i moved to NY. As far as i know, the MAAP is under, Bob Barnums, management and is focused more twords RSBD/JKD concepts.

They do have a Kickboxing club, but, as i remember it, it's American rules, not MT. Although, they do train MT style clinch, elbows, and knees in the American Freestlyle (Their martial arts class). And they do have a competition record in American Rules Kickboxing.

About the American Freestyle class:

The system of American Freestly a well rounded system, in my opinion. All students are taught standing, clinch, and ground fighting. They are also taught Kali Escrima, as their weapons system.

Standing: Boxing, Kickboxing, and Jun Fan JKD.
    Clinch: Wrestling, MT, and Dumog
    Ground: Submissions (from BJJ) - Yes some of the teachers do have rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Weapons: Kali Escrima( 2 of the instructors have devoted years to learning it) and Gun Defense

Do they spar full contact? Last I was there, yes they do.
    Are there Child Black belts? No
    Chi? Hell no
    Do they stress technique? yes they do.

It takes up to 5 years of practice to get your black belt. You must test to gain your black belt. The black belt test is 5 hours long and consists of showing everything you know. Full contact sparring makes up the majority of the test.

This just my opinion. I really don't want to start a flame war or anything about this.

If you want MT then go where paisaan suggested. If you want self defense go to the MAAP
    Last edited by Method2Madness; 1/08/2007 5:49pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 5:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I've never heard of the USKA - who runs it and is it MuayThai?
    Oh whoops, I never saw this. I'd never heard of it before until I got this fight offer actually. It seems to be, for the most part, a point karate organisation, but Ivan Althouse (the guy putting on the event in April) seems to do kickboxing events under USKA sanctioning. My fight will be modified muay thai rules, 4x 2 minute rounds.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 6:05pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Oh whoops, I never saw this. I'd never heard of it before until I got this fight offer actually. It seems to be, for the most part, a point karate organisation, but Ivan Althouse (the guy putting on the event in April) seems to do kickboxing events under USKA sanctioning. My fight will be modified muay thai rules, 4x 2 minute rounds.
    Good luck, Kid. You gonna post the fight here?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 6:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    Good luck, Kid. You gonna post the fight here?
    Thanks. Yeah, I'll post it.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah - post it. On K-1 too :)

Method2Madness - edited my post. What I meant by kids was the kids program being advertised and people thinking McDojo. I used the term bullshido versus bullsh*t for teaching a style you aren't proficient at, haven't studied and try to profit from. Just like I don't claim to teach BJJ or TKD or Karate. Not trying to flame either.

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 2:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blended

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by b_hornet
    Stephen has a new location and is real muay Thai camp. I went looking for them at the MAP and asked for 2 weeks and finally the fat guy who now runs the gym said "he doesn't work here anymore". What a bastard. You go there asking for someone to train with and they gave me the run around after I paid for the month. Try www.pittsburghmuaythai.com as the Sit-Kangmongkorn fighters and trainers are now in Brentwood on Brownsville road. I've trained with Thai trainers in Indiana before a few years back, and the guys in Pittsburgh stack up well against them. They are actually more fit, very passionate and compete in full rules, not kickboxing or modified rulse. Mark is the other younger guy and is very good. I just saw him on youtube when he fought in Canada for a title.
    Sorry you had a bad experience at my school. I'm the "fat guy" and saying he doesn't work here anymore was just my way of trying to not cause any hard feelings. What I should have said was that Stephen was caught ripping off his students and the gym for several hundred dollars and was promptly asked to leave.

I assure you the version of you looking for Stephen for two weeks before you were told that he was no longer there didn't happen.

Anyway, feel free to stop in and discuss this further. I'm not much for message boards.

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 2:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blended

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah - post it. On K-1 too :)

Method2Madness - edited my post. What I meant by kids was the kids program being advertised and people thinking McDojo. I used the term bullshido versus bullsh*t for teaching a style you aren't proficient at, haven't studied and try to profit from. Just like I don't claim to teach BJJ or TKD or Karate. Not trying to flame either.
    Stephen, I was studying MT years before you ever stepped into a gym. It's pretty easy to type the letters bullshido but it's a little harder to back up what you have to say. So instead of us getting into it here, why don't you and I just fight.

I doubt that would ever happen. I just wish I could be in your class to hear you explain why you won't fight someone who you think is a fake. Uhm.. weight class, not real MT, not worth it... You're the fake and a horrible Coach who doesn't have the ability to bring your fighters (who do, by the way, have potential) to their top game - but at least you can type.

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 9:24am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about those gayish purple dragons, why don't they have them red or brown but not light purple.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast