Sponsored Links Spacer Image

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 3:49am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    components of powerful striking

1)power is generated by moving the body into the strike. step towards the target,shift your weight to the front foot, turn your hips and shoulders and then snap your arm out to the target. this process happens from the ground up. too many punchers make the mistake of punching from the shoulder. their leg and hip use is minimal. they hunch the shoulders which not only telegraphs the punch but saps significant power as well. dont lead with your head and shoulders ,instead use the feet to 'carry' you in. this moves all your mass in at one time to generate power for the strike.

2)relaxation is something that cannot be emphasized enough. kinetic energy transfer is severely hampered by a tense body. the sensation of strength that is experienced when tensing the arms is an illusion.
    that is what is known as antagonistic muscle braking, a phenomenon which is more appropriate for NOT MOVING.

3)roughly speaking FORCE equals MASS times ACCELERATION. what matters is weight and speed. tensing the muscles prematurely will only slow you down, weaken your strike, and telegraph your action. in terms of their relative contribution it is stated:

- double your mass(weight) and you will DOUBLE your power.

- double your speed and you will QUADRUPLE your power.

increasing your SPEED effectively increases your MASS. another way of saying this is 'speed makes you bigger'. that's why bullets are so small, but so destructive, they have extreme speed.

lightweights be warned, you are not necessarily powerful just because you are fast. in my experience heavyweighs always hit harder, even if they are slow. and if they are fast, that is big trouble. the problem is that there is alot more involved in power hitting besides this simple formula.

probably will post this as a thread to run alongside the 'secrets' thread. multi-tasking is a better way for it to expand.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 4:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    POWER HITTING -CONT.

3)they say that the hand is faster than the eye. this is entirely true,if it is projected quickly enough. but it doesnt matter how fast it is, if there is no mass behind it, it doesnt matter. as i said in the previous post you have to use your body 'from the ground up'. this results in 'sequential overlap' power generation. the joints are focal points of the generation and transfer of force. taking the initial movement from the ground, the extension of the knees is added, this continues up to the hips which turn, and then the shoulder moves forward and finally the elbow extends shooting the hand forward. each joint is dependant on the joint which proceeds it and takes power from the joint and adds its own contribution. this is a very simplified explanation. since each joint is moving in sequence from the ground up , the acceleration has many points at which to increase. if done with good balance and a relaxed body, all the speed will be transfered to the hand. it will literally be a blur. and it will not a JAB or any weak **** like that either. it is a very strong strike. the best analogy for this is cracking a whip. this in itself does not guarantee powerful hitting, there are still quite a few elements that sometimes are not considered...

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    POWER HITTING -CONT.

4)P.S.I.- concentration of available force will maximize impact. improper use of the correct striking surface with various hand and foot strikes is common. when striking , the size of the contact area must be reduced to increase pounds per square inch. fist strikes should strive to hit only with the largest knuckle. no more than two. the two big ones. i hear wing chun has a punch that uses the smaller knuckles. i am not too sure about that one. chopping strikes should hit with the corner of the palm where the tip of the ulna protrudes slightly. karate chop with the edge of the hand is not my style, to much surface area and not really well supported. i dont feel comfortable with the shock in my metacarpals. the ulna is a different story. foot strikes are not made with the sole of the foot, but rather the heel or the ball, although i rarely use the ball for power kicks. the heel is best. if you curl your toes back when you kick, your heel will protrude and be foremost in the kick. reducing the surface area on strikes will stop them from being 'flat'. increased p.s.i. will help to make your strikes more penetrative.
    flat hits in concert with PUSHING STRIKES are why some people hits dont hurt. they just knock you off balance a little or have no effect at all.

next i will talk smack about PUSHING HITS.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3)roughly speaking FORCE equals MASS times ACCELERATION. what matters is weight and speed.
    It's kind of interesting what your doing here on these threads but this old formula has some serious flaws in it to be used to describe punching power. Unless you actually detach your fists from your arms and hurl them through space at somebody, the physics are WAY to complicated to apply this F = MA.

Velocity certainly figures in there somewhere but MASS? the mass of what? The fist? The arm? It only works out ok if your describing a flying tackle. And then there's the stength of muscular contraction, the skeletal alignment... And are we concerned about force or about kinetic energy? And how about the percentage of energy transfer from object A (fist) to object B (jaw)?

Other than that go for it. Let me know when you finish your book.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was sparring at Thai one day and put my arm out like you do to guage distance and piss the other guy off coz he cant see you anymore. I dropped my straight arm down to his chin hight and just give him a little one inch punch on the chin to phaze him a little. The guy fell on the floor in a heep. When I got down to him to have a look both his eyes where glazed over. It was mad as fek. I only touched him. When he came round he said it was just the surprise of it that upset his brain and made it shut down.

I'll never forget it.

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kind of interesting what your doing here on these threads but this old formula has some serious flaws in it to be used to describe punching power.
    Actually, NEWTON'S SECOND LAW is very accurate for any stiuation save one moving at an extremely high speed.

Unless you actually detach your fists from your arms and hurl them through space at somebody, the physics are WAY to complicated to apply this F = MA.
    This makes no sense. The sum of the forces in any situation is equal to the sum of all the little M*a 's in the situation. The physics is NOT too complicated to use newton's second law.

Velocity certainly figures in there somewhere but MASS? the mass of what? The fist? The arm?
    Mass does figure in to the equation. He didn't say how the mass used would be calculated exactly. As you say, it's a complicated system that would take a long time to piece together. Give the guy a break for using an approximation.

And then there's the stength of muscular contraction,
    We only need to know the result of muscle contraction, namely the velocity.

the skeletal alignment...
    This would provide a force in some direction, it's be part of the "Sum of the forces = M*a"

And are we concerned about force or about kinetic energy?
    You should know they are related...

And how about the percentage of energy transfer from object A (fist) to object B (jaw)?
    It'd be different for every situation. It's unreasonable for you to ask that someone provide this information when they are simply giving a basic overview of some basic physics.

Edited by - brandeissansoo on April 08 2003 12:22:14

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 12:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did you mention or explain tensing the arm at the point of the strike?

you don't hold the arm relaxed at the point of impact...

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 12:39pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    " i hear wing chun has a punch that uses the smaller knuckles. "

that is applied to the solar plexus (center of the chest where the ribs meet) and it pushes upward.......into the guy

other then that i use the first two knuckles or palm when i strike

--
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 12:45pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol sensei

that does help explain why i've been rocked in the head and still didn't go down.....but a little soccer ball to the face that i wasn't expecting knocked me down

--

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2003 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good description of hitting technique from kuntaokid. We're taught that when stepping and punching, as the ball of the stepping foot lands then the punch is released, and by the time the heel touches the ground the punch should be hitting the target. As well as using the hips, extra power can be found by using the spine to provide an extra whipping or waving motion to the strike. As the fist contacts the target it should be rotating as well as hammering down to ensure that that only the largest two knuckles make contact.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast