Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 10:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojo Intervention

Is there some sort of intervention for friends in a McDojo? A buddy of mine decided to take up martial arts around the same time I did. The difference is I had been thinking about doing it for years and spent a lot of time on this site just lurking and learning from the posts and the articles you guys put up. I have found what I think is a great school. I have only been there for two weeks but I feel I have what I was looking for.

I donít think my friend did the research. He started in late august and when I talked to him the other day he has already done ďknife defensesĒ and he is going to be testing for his next belt after just nine weeks or so, one or two lessons a week. I havenít been to his school but it sounds like a McDojo to me.

Have you guys had friends in McDojos? How did you broach the subject with them? I donít have the credibility to criticize his training. I should probably just point him to this site. Anyone ever had a similiar situation?

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmurphy
    Is there some sort of intervention for friends in a McDojo? A buddy of mine decided to take up martial arts around the same time I did. The difference is I had been thinking about doing it for years and spent a lot of time on this site just lurking and learning from the posts and the articles you guys put up. I have found what I think is a great school. I have only been there for two weeks but I feel I have what I was looking for.

I donít think my friend did the research. He started in late august and when I talked to him the other day he has already done ďknife defensesĒ and he is going to be testing for his next belt after just nine weeks or so, one or two lessons a week. I havenít been to his school but it sounds like a McDojo to me.

Have you guys had friends in McDojos? How did you broach the subject with them? I donít have the credibility to criticize his training. I should probably just point him to this site. Anyone ever had a similiar situation?
    Challenge him to a friendly sparring match. Kick his ass. If he doesn't get the hint then there's not much you can do about it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:03pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What school does he go to?

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check the school out.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check the school out.
    I'll get more info on the school. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 5:11pm

Style: VU TAH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whose assumption is it that his school is McD?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whose assumption is it that his school is McD?
    Only mine from what he has told me. Granted my experience is next to nothing but quick promotion and questionable knife defenses seem to be a bad sign.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 11:37pm

Style: Goju Kai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Check it out first. If they have a policy of a free lesson, take it and see what you think. From what it sounds, however, it does seem a little prissy. If you check out the place and the training is weaksauce/'mcdojoish', invite him over to your school for a taste of the 'real deal' as it were. With any luck, he'll see your school's superiority and join up. In the end, however, just because it doesnt fit what you deem apprpriate, doesnt mean its neccesarily a McDojo. Like I said, check it ourt first.

As for broaching the subject, don't take it too seriously if they're not particularly serious about their training. I make sure to give all my WC freinds (who do it at school, which is a bit suss...) **** about the fact kung-fu was made by girls, just to stir up freindly rivalry :P (spare me your pedantries; I havent done extensive reasearch into it, Its just something i say) Just go with it, ya know? If the topic of credibility comes up, refer to the above point of bagging his school :P

The Couch Ninja

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 11:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the process of leaving an ATA TKD Mcdojo. I wished someone had planned an intervention for me, woulda saved me about two thousand bucks and two months of wasted time.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 3:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll get more info on the school. Thanks.
    Just doing my job... lol
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast