Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the deal with muscle and ligament tears? If you do get a tear, are you screwed for life? Does it make you weaker? If you get stabbed or have an injury involving a major gash, is there a chance your muscles will never be as strong again?

Also, I hear that our body refreshes cells throughout a period of 7 years, so is it possible that the muscle tissue could be "renewed"?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostol
    What's the deal with muscle and ligament tears? If you do get a tear, are you screwed for life? Does it make you weaker? If you get stabbed or have an injury involving a major gash, is there a chance your muscles will never be as strong again?

Also, I hear that our body refreshes cells throughout a period of 7 years, so is it possible that the muscle tissue could be "renewed"?
    Muscle tears are not usually very serious and will heal on their own, although a bad tear will certainly sideline you for a while. Remember, you're tearing muscle every time you lift. Muscle grows back very quickly and efficiently.

Ligament tears are a different story. I'm not positive, but the way I understand it is that yes, ligaments will heal themselves by forming scar tissue. However, remember that ligaments are like ropes. They can tear partially or completey through. There are also different reasons why they tear. So, if it's a single trauma and only a partial tear, then there is a good chance that that it will heal itself by forming scar tissue. However, if the tear is due to repetitive motion of some sort, unless the moiion stops or the bio-mechanical problem (such as improper free-style stroke of a swimmer) is corrected, then it will continue to tear over time and will never get the chance to heal.

Now, if it tears all the way through, it may need to be reattached, because there is nothing left onto which scar tissue can form. Although, I do think some joints will develop enough scar tissue around the area to actually replace a fully torn ligament. I've heard that the knee joint can do that. Although, I'm not sure that the knee would ever be the same under that scenario, whereas after surgically reparing a torn ligament, it will usually heal back to 100%.
    Last edited by lawdog; 10/25/2005 3:43pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's ok man. Once you get into the octagon, you'll forget all about the pain.
    Legendary Street Fighter

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Ligament tears are a different story. I'm not positive, but the way I understand it is that yes, ligaments will heal themselves by forming scar tissue. However, remember that ligaments are like ropes. They can tear partially or completey through. There are also different reasons why they tear. So, if it's a single trauma and only a partial tear, then there is a good chance that that it will heal itself by forming scar tissue. However, if the tear is due to repetitive motion of some sort, unless the moiion stops or the bio-mechanical problem (such as improper free-style stroke of a swimmer) is corrected, then it will continue to tear over time and will never get the chance to heal.
    They can also shorten when they're left overlong after a partial tear, and restablise the joint. I've no idea how they do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 5:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ......this thread is a like funeral procession.

That reminds me, find a good physio near me.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 5:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, good luck Ryno (and everyone else) with your knee injuries. Pretty much all the recent research with physical therapy/recovery suggests working the injured area as soon as possible after surgery or treatment, so you'll most likely be up-and-at-em doing some kind of rehab ASAP. Doctors are even starting to do this with heart attack victims, believe it or not. Bed rest for more than a minimum time = bad news bears.

You might be back at FMA sooner than you think, if the knee brace seems to be doing it's job.

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 5:57pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, when I dislocated the knee back in college, the dipshits kept me in a stiff brace for three months, until all the muscles in my leg had completely atrophied, which made for a 6 month recovery period.

This time, the doc already put me in an articulated brace, and has me walking on it one week after the injury, even though this one was a bit more severe than the last time. Already my knee feels better, and I'm maintaining my strength and flexibility somewhat. I didn't feel this good until after a month of physical therapy last time around. And that was AFTER the damn 3 months in the stiff brace.

****, after another week or two, I may even be able to start doing some light shadow boxing and stick work before my cardio conditioning goes to hell.

It seems like such a simple and cliche concept, use it or lose it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    It seems like such a simple and cliche concept, use it or lose it.
    Amen! :hello2:

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 8:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yeah, when I dislocated the knee back in college, the dipshits kept me in a stiff brace for three months, until all the muscles in my leg had completely atrophied, which made for a 6 month recovery period.
    This is exactly what they did to me after my first ACL tear. I was in a cast for months and when it came off I had this little stick leg.... I was screwed for most of a year.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostol

I dunno about refreshing cells, but I do know that a lot depends upon what ligament you hurt. In the case of knees, it seems that the side ligaments heal/repair easier than the central ligament (ACL). ACL injuries have ended A LOT of athletic careers. While it is true that there are atheletes who have come back from this injury, I think they are the exception.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast