Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 12:45pm

Style: Tang Soo Do, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vegitarian Recipes

YEAH THE DIRTY NOOB USED T3H S3RCH FEATURE!!!!

Hey I need to change my diet....badly. I've begun training again but I still eat like hell. I'm thinking of adding more vegitable based meals to my diet, but am having a hard time finding decent recipes that fulfill the nutritional requirements I seek. I know beans=protien, and I will be eating fish, but I am trying to cut red meats and poultry out(because I dont want mad cow disease or bird flu and I'm neurotic like that). Anyhow, I figure a recipe page focusing on a veg-head diet would be cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 2:40pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try typing a search into amazon, I'm sure there are some vegan cookbooks out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually got 2 or 3 of them. I guess I should have specified that taste is important to me. Most of the recipes that I have made from my books are kinda nasty tasting...or I'm just a shitty cook. So if anyone has any TASTY vegitarian recipes lemme know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 2:46pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, yes, that could pose a different problem...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:29pm

Style: None, at present

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife and I eat a lot of vegetarian food, so here are a couple of ideas for you:

Check out the acclaimed "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. (It's a massive book, see if you can check it out from the library before you spend the money to buy it). We like it, though we've only tried a small fraction of the recipes in it.

As a practical matter, don't think about this in terms of exploring uncharted terrain, think about how you can make small changes to the familiar.

In other words, cater to your current food preferences and work on developing a few dishes that you like and you can make without extraordinary hassle or expense. Start by asking yourself what meatless proteins you like, and build main courses around that. Once you find a dish you like okay, make it on a regular basis until and work on perfecting it.

For example, my wife and I (and our son) all like black beans and rice. So we make them at least once every couple of weeks, and we have worked out a recipe that is, by our definitions, quick, easy and tasty. We both make it well enough now that we can play around with little variations to keep things interesting. But if we need to whomp up dinner in 45 minutes, BBR is a good go-to option.

Edited to add: Please understand, I'm not saying "never try anything new." New foods can be fun, expecially if you make it a project to try out an unfamiliar ingredient or dish every week or two. But if you're going to stick to a vegetarian diet, you'll probably want the foundation of it to be simple, sure-fire dishes.

A good starting point for you might be meat analogues made from textured vegetable protein -- there are some great veggie meatballs, hot dogs, chicken and fish substitutes, etc. out there. You'll probably find some in the meat-substitute section in the frozen-food case and others in the produce section.
    Last edited by G.R. Bug; 10/23/2005 8:38pm at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:49pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKARATE
    YEAH THE DIRTY NOOB USED T3H S3RCH FEATURE!!!!

Hey I need to change my diet....badly. I've begun training again but I still eat like hell. I'm thinking of adding more vegitable based meals to my diet, but am having a hard time finding decent recipes that fulfill the nutritional requirements I seek. I know beans=protien, and I will be eating fish, but I am trying to cut red meats and poultry out(because I dont want mad cow disease or bird flu and I'm neurotic like that). Anyhow, I figure a recipe page focusing on a veg-head diet would be cool.
    Veggie-based meals?

You can't go wrong with steaming or stir-frying vegetables together with meat and sauce. First, heat up oil in the wok/pan, add the meat, cook till done, add veggies, cook for as little as possible, then stir in sauce and serve.

As for mad cow disease, you live in the States, right? Are you aware the only people who had Mad Cow in the US were British visitors or directly ate cow brain? There's never been an outbreak. As for avian flu, that has NEVER been described as majorly transmitted through consuming meat.

It's true that poultry can carry E. Coli and salmonella and such, but cooking it to the proper temperature will essentially eliminate that problem, as well as following proper kitchen sanitary procedures. Purchase a meat thermometer (get a digital one with a numerical readout - $30) and you won't ever go wrong.

If you don't have a steamer for making rice with a steam plate, then you need to get one. Steaming is hands down the healthiest way to prepare veggies, with a net loss of about 10% of nutrition on average. While raw is considered healthiest, some veggies are more nutritious when slightly cooked.

Also, consider investing in frozen veggies, as they are generally picked and frozen at their ripest, as opposed to fresh produce, which is typically picked before full maturity so that when it arrives at the store, it is of proper ripening.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 4:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vegetable, Haloumi and Rocket Salad

250g haloumi cheese, cut into 2cm cubes
    180g button mushrooms, halved
    1 medium red capsicum, chopped coarsely
    1 medium yellow capsicum, chopped coarsely
    3 baby eggplant, chopped coarsely
    2 medium zucchini, sliced thickly
    2 tbs olive oil
    2 tbs balsamic vinegar
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    150g baby rocket leaves

Grill the cheese, mushrooms, capsicums, eggplant and zucchini, in batches until browned lightly and just tender

Meanwhile place oil, vinegar and garlic in screw-top jar; shake well

Combine cheese and vegetables in large bowl with rocket and dressing; toss gently to combine

Serves 4
    Per serving: 20.7g fat
    1229kJ (294 cal)

Personally I don't think it really serves four people, except maybe for lunch (then again I'm a big eater) and I don't bother with the dressing cos it's yummy enough on it's own and the dressing would contribute a lot of the fat. I also only use about 1/4 the recommended cheese)

*With apologies to Women's Weekly Summer Salads

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any breakfast type food. Eggs, veggie bacon/sausage.
    Lots of indian food.
    Lots of asian food. Marinated and fried tofu isn't bad.
    Veggie chili.
    Veggie burgers/chicken nuggets (some are good, some not so much)
    Mac and cheese. With ham if you're not so strict about the veg thing.
    beans + cheese + salsa = great filling for any tex mex dish. nacho's, tacos, burritos...

I eat a lot of a "lentil loaf" type dish. It's brain-dead easy and perfect for sandwiches. Cook 2 cups lentils until tender, then mix with 1 cup shredded cheese, 3 eggs (temper the eggs into the mix), 1 cup chunky salsa, and salt/pepper/seasoning to taste. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan for 30 minutes at 375 or until firm with toasted brown edges.

For cooking - it's all trial and error. Add onions/bacon/cheese whatever to a recipie and see if it's better. The more you cook the faster you'll get better. Check out an Alton Brown book to help get the techniques down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 3:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanx for the info...you guys and gals are frikkin awesome.