Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeinHaar
    What makes you say that?
    The stronger your neck is, the more of an impact it can withstand, and the less your head will move as the result of a head blow. That's why for years, boxers have used neck harnesses to stengthen their necks.

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:03pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys, i'll totally take your advice.
    and law dog, i'll whip up somethin i can take to school and put different weights on it for this, thanks.
    I'v said it before, i'll say it again, thanks.
    I appreciate any input given.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    thanks guys, i'll totally take your advice.
    and law dog, i'll whip up somethin i can take to school and put different weights on it for this, thanks.
    I'v said it before, i'll say it again, thanks.
    I appreciate any input given.
    Check your gym first though. Many gyms have those rollers lying around. However, if yours doesn't, you shouldn't have any trouble making one.

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nah, our wieght room don't have one.
    the wieght room i had at the old one had one but had attached one wieght a certain way, so i might as well make a good one.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said you're limited to dumbbells and EZ bars, right? How about some dumbbell deadlifts/squats. DLs really hammer my traps (I don't know if it's considered poor form to toss a shrug at the top of each rep, but you could look into that), plus your not doing squats anyway, so doing DLs with dumbbells would handle the squats and traps as well as your back. win-win I say.

Also with your 5x5 are you doing the same weight with all five sets, or working your way up with each set (warmup sets) then doing 1 or 2 "work" sets?

Also, ignore Lawdog's whole "roller" thing. That's a piece of crap. Just roll frying pans instead like a real man.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rolling frying pans only works one side of your wrist. To work the side he wants, he has to unroll them afterwards.

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    Rolling frying pans only works one side of your wrist. To work the side he wants, he has to unroll them afterwards.

PL
    :eusa_clap
    Actually, I'd reccomend tearing phone books over rolling frying pans. :new_blueg

I agree with jaguar's advice regarding dumbell squats and deadlifts. I'd also do lunges with the dumbells. Squats, deadlifts, and lunges, then, if you want to, you could skip all those other leg exercises you're doing. Although, it doesn't seem like it, squats, deadlifts and lunges with dumbells are actuallly safer and more functional than the leg exercises you're currently doing.

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are they safer then the leg exercises i'm doing?
    thanks

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 9:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    How are they safer then the leg exercises i'm doing?
    thanks
    O.k, the leg extension (the machine you mentioned where you move your shins up to 90 degrees), isn't particularly dangerous. In fact, if done properly, it's a good way to prevent knee injuries. However, you should stay light, lock and flex your kees at the top, hesitate, then lower, all in a very contolled manner. The problem is that it puts a great deal of stress on your knees and often leads to patellar problems if done incorrectly. These are not usually serious injuries, but more along the lines of tendonitis and patellar strains.

Now, the leg press is a different story. Everybody thinks it's so much safer than squats. The truth is that most exercises have a potential for injury if done wrong, and are relatively safe if done properly. The problem is that some lifts lend themselves to bad form more than others.

When doing squats, most people stay very focused on their form. When doing the leg press, most people don't think form is so important. Because you have that nice, comfortable, flat pad behind your back, you tend to jam your lower back into that pad. The problem arises when you bring your knees all the way into your chest. In this position, your lower back is actually rounded, just begging to blow out a disc.

Also, people tend to wriggle side to side when doing heavy loads on the leg press, because they believe that since the weight isn't on their shoulders, they won't get hurt. There is still a ton of pressure on your lumbar spine. Disc injuries from the leg press are very common.

Also, the leg press can cause knee problems, because it locks you into a particular linear movement which isn't natural.

Another thing about the leg press is that it develops leg strength, without utilizing the core and stabilizer muscles, and balance, to any significant degree. Those factors are necessary in order to use that strength effciciently in an upright position. This also has the potential to lead to injury.

So, as you can see, I'm a big fan of the leg press. If you want to keep doing it, I'd say pay close attention to your form. Keep that slight arch in your lower back at all times, even if it prevents you from coming all the way down. Only bring your knees as low as you can WITHOUT losing that arch. Also, keep the spine solid, don't twist or wriggle. If you feel any pain in your knees, find a different exercise.

The dumbells are a good way to begin squatting and deadlifting because you can hold them down at your sides and a little farther back than a barbell allowing to learn proper posture much easier and more safely. Also, if your legs give out, you simply drop them without having to roll your back forward. As you get more comfortable, then you can begin to hold the weights up at your shoulders when squatting, and hold them a little farther forward when deadlifting, as your flexibility and form improve.

The lunges are just real functional. Think about it, as an athlete, you'll frequently find yourself with your weight primarily on one leg. Lunges are a great way to train for that. They can also cause knee problems though, so pay attention to that.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DB snatches and clean and presses would be beneficial too. Google them for sites demonstrating the form.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast