Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 12:26am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Current wieght routine

*Formatted from an email to my instructor for here*
    In one of my spares im wieght lifting now. (As you dudes know)
    I try and go for 5X5 of heavy wieghts, and then 3X12 for endurance which I do for well...whenever I feel like it hahah.
    So right now im doing sorta

5X5 of 135 pounds (benchpress)

5X5 of 200 pounds (Shoulder shrugs, I have no problem at all with these, in fact next week I'm gonna move it up to 225)

3X12 of 135 pounds (leg press, low wieghts cause I wanna be safe on my knees,every week i'll watch and move it a little bit more up in wieght)

3X12 of 90 pounds (45 pounds for each arm, its like a thing where you sit down and you push forward two handles, and each handle has a thing where you put wieght plate thingers on it)

5X5 of 140 pounds (those things where you sit down, then move your shins 90 degrees up then 90 degrees down)

2-3X20 30lbs(Cable punching, i work jab from normal and south paw, and cross from normal and southpaw to prevent muscle imbalances)

then once or twice a week, depending on how my neck feels i do 4-5 neck bridges holding them for 10-20 seconds each

3X12-20 50lbs(this thing where theres a bar layed horizontally over your head and you grab it like youd do chin ups with your arms spread wide, and you pull it down)

3X20 10-15lbs wirst curl thingers( i take one of those zig zaggy curl bars, then place my forearms down on a flat surface and move it up and down with only your wrist)

I'v tried to remember the advice you all gave me, but can you guys comment on this please?
    BTW till mid winter i don't have access to free/olympic wieghts, these are like all machines, cept for dumbells and curls. Thanks.
    Last edited by FighterJones; 10/23/2005 12:28am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    White space (or in this case grey space) is your friend.

I'd substitute shrugs (what the **** are those for???) with overhead presses.

No wrist curls. Waste of time. Do regular curls and reverse curls instead.

Where are your pullups?

PL

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry bout the spasticity of my posts.
    I wanna keep my shrugs as too get very strong shoulders, because the more I have strengthed my shoulders the harder i seem to punch, plus it helps for labor work I do.
    No wrist curls? k then but any other substitution for wrist strength?
    pullups? I need em but unfortunately this wieght room has nothing for them.
    thanks for the comments poop loops, i appreciate em.
    BTW, how should I do my curls (Wieght and reps)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    sorry bout the spasticity of my posts.
    I wanna keep my shrugs as too get very strong shoulders, because the more I have strengthed my shoulders the harder i seem to punch, plus it helps for labor work I do.
    No wrist curls? k then but any other substitution for wrist strength?
    pullups? I need em but unfortunately this wieght room has nothing for them.
    thanks for the comments poop loops, i appreciate em.
    BTW, how should I do my curls (Wieght and reps)
    Shurgs are pathetic. What the **** kind of motion do they represent? Unless you are a fucking dumbass and say "Uhh... I dunno..." a lot, you will never need them.

Overhead presses, on the other hand, simulate you lifting something above your head. Which you might actually do, or if you want to get from under someone from north/south, or if you just want to keep them at bay or whatever.

Instead of wrist curls, you can do regular bicep curls and reverse bicep curls.

If you don't have a bar to do pull-ups/chin-ups on, then you can do mid rows and bent over rows. If you ever find a bar, you can substitute your bicep curls for chin ups.

The way I do my curls:

First I do my pull-ups/chin-ups (alternating), then I jump onto regular barbel curls (none of that faggoty bent bar ****, I'm STRAIGHT), doing 2 sets. Afterwards, I do reverse curls, 4 sets. I don't like doing reverse curls, they hurt my forearms. I know, I'm being a pansy... :(

If you don't do chin ups, then I'd just treat them like any other exercise.

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't drop the shrugs, shrugs are excellent for 2 reasons. Injury prevention and knockout prevention. Shrugs strenghten your traps which run up the back of your neck. Strengthening your traps is one of the best ways to stabilize your neck.

You should be doing the military press though, in addition. It's one of the better lifts for developing real power.

I agree about the wrist curls, personally I think there are much better ways to develop the forearms/grip.

I never understand when people say they can't do pullups because there is no place to do them at their gym. There's almost always a place to do them at the gym. All you need is a sturdy horizontal bar of some sort. If there is no place at the gym, then find a playground. Playgrounds always have a place to do pullups, either on a bar or on the rings. Do them from a tree. If there is no branch low enough, then throw a rope over a tree limb and do them holding either side of the rope (better for you anyway). Find a place at your house. For years when I was a kid, I would do "fingertip pullups" on a wide piece of molding over my parent's garage door. Find a rafter, beam or pipe. Alright, enough of that. The bottom line is PL is right, as a martial artist, you really should be doing pullups.

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aight, I'll find a place at home and **** to do pull ups.(What reps/with sets do i use?)
    I wasn't going to get rid of the shrugs, because my shoulder strength helps me alot in grappling with pushing and **** and stablization for striking.
    I'll add on military press, I should do 5X5, right?
    K, I'll say **** off to the wrist curls, is holding onto a plate in each hand of say 10-15 pounds as long as I can good? or somethin like that? I need to strengthen my wrists, cause I'm starting to hit harder, and I try and keep good form but sometimes when Bas starts to yell long combos I tend to slack.
    I'd do straight curls, but the only bar available is that bent one.
    again, 5X5?
    K thanks guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 1:52pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    split your routine into 3 work-outs, mon, wed, fri for example.
    Mon upper body push muscles chest, shoulders and back arm
    Wed oull muscles, biceps, lats, traps, forarm and wrist
    Fri Legs and lower back, squats, dead-lift, sumo lifts etc.

Wrist curls work. period. Curls and reverse curls will not build the wrist. Wrist rolls are another good wrist exercise.

keep your work-outs under 90 min. do 5 sets of each exercise to begin.
    set 1 = 15 reps of 100lb (eg. only)
    set 2 = 10 reps of 90lb
    set 3 = 8 80
    set 4 = 6 65
    set 5 = 4 max

this is a good beginners routine and will hold you for about 3mo, at which time you will need to change your routine, or you will stop making gains. Your body will adapt to any routine very quickly, so you must change it often to shock the body.

Hope this helps you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 2:28pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of which exercises you choose depend on your goals. If you do something like grappling, then it's a good idea to use grip/forearm exercises. I think shrugs are a good exercise if you aren't doing something like deadlifts that hit those muscles hard.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as sets/reps for pullups, I'd probabaly start with 3-5 sets going to failure each set. Your reps will drop significantly between each set. I think the set rep scheme is less important, especially at your stage, then simply doing the lifts. In fact, I usually advise beginners to do 10-15 reps for the first 4-6 weeks of lifting. But, once again, the important thing is just to lift. No matter what you do, as a noobie, for the first couple of months you'll make gains. If 5x5 feels good to you, then stick with it.

There are hundreds of good ways to strengthen your grip/forearms/wrists. But, since you're limited due to your situation, let's just keep it simple. Pullups/chinups are one of the better ways to strengthen your grip/forearm. If you're strong enough, sling a towel over the bar and do your pullups from the towel. If you have access to heavy dumbells (I can't remember), farmers walks are great.

Reverse curls are good, especially in terms of preventing injury from punching. Yes you can do them on the E-Z curl bar (that curved bar you're talking about). Most of the wrist injuries are a result of rolling the wrist forward, so doing traditional wrist curls doesn't make much sense, in fact, might even increase the likelihood of injury due to a muscular imbalance. Reverse wrist curls would be better, but personally I think they're both inefficient exercises. But, once again, if you like them, then it's certainly not going to hurt anything to keep doing them. I would reccomend though that if you are doing conventional wrist curls, you also add reverse wrist curls.

If what you're trying to do is specifically strengthen your wrists, I'd take a wooden handle (like an old broom handle, or something similar), drill a hole in it, put a piece of rope through the hole and tie a knot in the end of it. Then on the other end of the rope tie a weight. Then, hold the handle out in front of you with both palms facing the ground. Then, roll the handle (like working the throttle on a motorcycle with each hand) all the way until the weight reaches the handle. Then reverse it and lower it back down. That's an excellent way to strengthen your wrists, and has been used by boxers for that specific purpose for years.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knockout prevention.
    What makes you say that?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast