Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken
    really? well then I guess I'l have to tell my instructor who's been doing martial arts for 46 years that he didn't make me paralyzed for ten minutes from brushing my liver and he didn't squeeze my throat to the point of blacking out with two fingers.. cause some random guy on the bullshido weboard says it can't be done. hold on I'll give him a call right now.... :P

Look, you're going to have to buy me a new keyboard if you make me spit coke on it just one more time. Did you actually read anything on this website before you started posting here?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    There are varying levels of commitment. You dont need to throw a punch so hard you stagger to be commited. A true commit attack should be fast hard and with follow though (stepping into your opponet with a punch) Basically an attack where you think that your opponent will have no chance of countering. If you took a step forward with a hard jab or slash with a knife, you may not stagger, but your shoulders will chance position you will have your weight moving forward and you will need to re-center yourself. Thats what we mean by commited attack. If you are standing and just jabbing, its not very commited, aikido will be harder there. It can be less then that too, perhaps you open with a front kick then land on the kicking leg and with a punch. If your body weight is moving and behind your attack, thats what I would call commited.

However a moderatly decent fighter should know better then to be off balance. So the 'trick' becomes throwing him off guard (maybe with a stance or a gesture, or an attack). You will need to get him to commit himself. You might do that with your position. When I first came to my dojo, my teacher apeared to be in my rage. But when I attacked I realized I was really just far enough away that I ether need to move in (and thus not really try to hit him with the current attack) or extend myself out a little farther then I really wanted to. The result, a slight extention was all he needed to bring me into a really bad position. Had I pulled the punch he would of been safe and had no need for aikido. Other times it has been an unexpected attack while I was attacking that required me to take the hit or guard, and he then used the guard to maniupulate me. However none of it would of been possible if I had been just a little more aware, or if he wasn't quick and didn't have good position.

Anyways, I dont want to write another book. :icon_tong
    A good punch should be a boxing punch.

Then... throwing him off balance... hrm...

Wait! MMA TO THE RESCUE!!

PL

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken
    actually although i don't necessarily believe it, Ueshiba was reportedably able to phase through time and space.
    Sorry, don't mean to spam the thread, but this has to be the weakest **** I've heard in a long time.

First it starts off with the disclaimer, "I don't necessarily belive it"... Dude, belief is an either/or proposition. You either believe something or you don't. Grow and pair and decide if you believe that Ueshiba could teleport or not.

Next, we have the vague, unverifiable claim (reportedly) of mystic bullshit. Whats that? Some unnamed source at some unspecified time reported claimed that Ueshiba could "phase" through space and time? Damn, it must be true.

Why would you even bother to post something this stupid?

PS - My great, great, great, great, grandmother was reported bitten by a werewolf, so beware lest my inner beast get loose... For only $59.99 plus shipping and handling I'll send you the secrets of werewolf-fu... But only if you act now.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 9:22pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    A good punch should be a boxing punch.

Then... throwing him off balance... hrm...

Wait! MMA TO THE RESCUE!!

PL

This is true if you want to fight. Aikido aims not to fight, but to halt agression before the fight. 2 level headed people will almost never fight on the street. One person has to be pissed off enough to come at the other. This usually means he will do something stupid (at least in 90% of the fights I've seen) At this point you can (in theory) use aikido to halt that attackers agression and difuse the situation.

The goal is to be as gentle as you can. If you hit me in the face, i'm going to respond with more agression. And this will only end with police or one of us being dead/or out cold. The theory behind aikido is to difuse your attacker and show him that you are really taking it easy on him. To make it 'effortless'. Hopefully this will calm him down (especially if he's pinned). This doesn't mean you dont use strenght or attack if you need to. Its just a way to try to stop the fight before someone gets hurt. I dont think its about combat as much as halting agression. This is why a lot of police and prison guards look into aikido (at least around here). If you really just want to hurt someone bad I'm sure there are a lot more ways to do it.

But I wasn't trying to talk about the proper way to throw a good punch. I was talking about the dynamics of using aikido in conflict. I am new to aikido, and I'm not 100% on anything yet. I've only done it a few months. My background is in harder styles with a lot of medium contact sparing (sometimes with takedowns when I worked with friends who do other styles). I'm not really a stranger to fighting. I can see when aikido can be useful (at least at my level) and when it is not useful. I can see that there is a lot to learn from aikido. Just like there is a lot to learn in any martial art. I have yet to practice anything I would discount as un-useful. I would be the first to tell you what I think is useful and what I think is not useful. I have a few examples from my tkd training. And even a few from krav maga (our choke defenses for example were worthless against anyone stronger then you were). I'm sure I will find some things that are useless in my opinon with aikido. But my instructor is very good (imho) and he does realate a lot to real world applications, and our style is a lot harder (a lot more striking and more resistance then normal). So i'm not too worried.

But as I've said. I dont do it to fight.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are better ways to learn how to diffuse a situation verbally than falling over.

PL

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Katsujinken did not come here to learn and discuss aikido. He was here to cheerlead for his art. He was offered constructive criticism, along with advice on how to test the veracity of his claims, and he has run away. I think the kid really has been brainwashed by some bullshidist dojo. In case you are still reading Katsu I'll give you this to think about; if not, let this go into the annals of bullshido for others to see.

Why would someone belive that they have been paralysed from a liver brush, even though no known physical mechanism could account for this phenomena?

Many people, when placed in a group will behave as expected by the group as the need to fit in and be accepted is a fundamental human need. In extreme cases this can lead people to believe that they are paralysed, especially when they want to believe it. This is the cult mentality, and is similar to people writhing on the floor and speaking in tongues in fundamentalist churches. They are pretending so that they can fit in, and they desperatly want to believe. Some people do this so much they can no longer tell the difference between a real physical effect and one they psychosomatically brought on themselves.

The same thing is found in numerous "chi" based arts, where the great sifu will make people feel hot by placing his hands near them, or fall over by tapping their head. Many Aikido schools are entrenched in "ki" nonsense, and show people tricks like the unbendable arm trick. To do this get a partner and stand face to face. Place your forearm on his shoulder palm up. Close you fist tightly and get your partner to try and push down on your elbow with his arms and bend it in. It should fold easily. Then repeat but open the hand and relax the hand. It should now be harder for your partner to bend your elbow when he pushes down. This is touted as evidence of ki power, and takes advantage of people's ignorance of biomechanics.

So when these amazing looking stunts are performed like paralysis or one touch knockdowns, it is essential that they be tested on people who do not believe in it. So far, none of these stunts have been shown to have the same effect on a non-believer. It is the classic Yellow Bamboo syndrome. If you want to be a martial artist, you have to be a sceptic. There is so much crap out there in martial arts that is taking people in, and a little critical thought could show that it's bunk. It's hard to be a critical thinker; you need to learn how to do it. It means thinking along the lines of the scientific method. When you have this skill, you can't be taken in by bunk. No chi blasts, or liver brush paralysis, or tap knockdowns, or ESP. All this **** can be seen for what it really is, and instead of accepting it at face value, the sceptic understands that there are people out there that want to trick him, and there are people out there that are deluded.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 9:44pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Katsujinken, good luck maintaining your insane dellusions..... this **** is comedy gold.

You're nonsense reminds me very much of talking about MA with an old friend who does aikido, guess these are common views among the baggy pants crowd.

Good lord.

edit: jsut read this whole thread.

Janggoon, you are 16 years old, on top of that you're stupid.

You make TKD look bad and I will not tolerate that from someone who claims to represent it; grow up fast or leave.
    Last edited by Stick; 10/23/2005 10:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 10:18pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido does seem to be overrun by the hippie mindset that they are somehow superior. No doubt about it. IMO it's because a lot of "well read" educated types are, for some reason, drawn to it (probably because of the "gentle" art BS that keeps getting touted). I think most that feel Aikido is superior also feel that they are superior in other areas in life.

I see a lot of tragedy when I train, especially in Aikido. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop, because I know there are MANY good things that come from that training. However, given the fucking train wreck caused by the OP, I'm just going to get off the line and let the rest of the the hoarde continue lambasting the kid.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    However a moderatly decent fighter should know better then to be off balance. So the 'trick' becomes throwing him off guard (maybe with a stance or a gesture, or an attack). You will need to get him to commit himself. You might do that with your position. When I first came to my dojo, my teacher apeared to be in my rage. But when I attacked I realized I was really just far enough away that I ether need to move in (and thus not really try to hit him with the current attack) or extend myself out a little farther then I really wanted to. The result, a slight extention was all he needed to bring me into a really bad position. Had I pulled the punch he would of been safe and had no need for aikido. Other times it has been an unexpected attack while I was attacking that required me to take the hit or guard, and he then used the guard to maniupulate me. However none of it would of been possible if I had been just a little more aware, or if he wasn't quick and didn't have good position.

Anyways, I dont want to write another book. :icon_tong
    Regular sparing will get you better at these tricks faster than aikido ever could.
    And they are tricks, they're not your bread and butter techniques unless you rely on your opponent being hopelessly inept.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 8:16am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy aikido and try not to be a dick about it...

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 8:29am

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what happens when I take a weekend off. Someone lets the bunny in.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ one of the only Aikido people I know who could **** me up completely with out trying , and one of the few I respect ( even if you are a Pro Wrestler ) .

Where have you been Peter ? Its been Aikido ! Aikido ! Aikido ! all Weekend long .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see that.

I'm good, moving into a new house, watching tape and reading training manuals. We have a 4 month run set-up witrh the City Rec department, with a guarantee on 2 more if we want it and then we look at another 6 months if the City wants it. So the light work outs we've been doing for the past month are about to go down the tubes and we hit the mat hard again.

You'll only see me here today and tomorrow and then I will be gone for the better part of a week as I set my new place up.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well good luck ( I hate moving ) and take care man .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast