Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions of Aikido is that it is a Martial Art .

( sorry if this has been pointed out )
    * edit *

yep it was ...
    I found it .. Pooploops said something close .. but

Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    Misconception about Aikido:

It is a good martial art.

PL
    and that is a miconception ... and a common one ... but its needs to be a little more exact in my opinion .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 10/23/2005 5:07pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.
    Are you sure you're not This guy ?
    Last edited by Neildo; 10/23/2005 5:09pm at .

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 5:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Janggoon

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong. I'm under no obligation to give you helpful advice, especially since this site is a free service that for the better part of 3 years has been paid for exclusively out of my own pocket.

And if styles need bashing, then bashing they will get until the day they no longer deserve it. Aikido and Taekwondo are two specific styles that can generally be said to be the worst of the Martial Arts. While not all TKD and not all Aikido schools are garbage, the majority of them are, and to such an extent that the few good ones couldn't possibly make up for it.
    1.) Phrost IS helping you, indirectly. He's running this site, which has a vast repository of useful information. THAT YOU HAVE TO SEARCH FOR ON YOUR OWN.

2.) Phrost is giving examples of styles that, for one reason or another, have fallen in with blatant McDojoism/Bullshido. The burden is currently on these people to shake the bullshit. If you don't like it or don't agree with it, show up at a throwdown or provide some sort of evidence for your school's badassery.

3.) You are 16. You are arguing with older people who have much more experience with martial arts and life in general than you. Try letting go of your assumptions and listening to what they have to say. And then thinking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 6:15pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Janggoon
    Which ones don't?

Besides tai chi.... and dont say TKD b/c we've been through this before and I thorougly disagree with you if you think TKD is bad
    Even Tai Chi when taught as a true martial art is very effective when mastered, it's another example of an internal art. AND Thunderleg from Drunken Master is TKD and that guy was awesome!

-Brian

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 6:22pm

Style: Nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken
    Even Tai Chi when taught as a true martial art is very effective when mastered, it's another example of an internal art. AND Thunderleg from Drunken Master is TKD and that guy was awesome!

-Brian
    It's Jang Lee Hwang. 9th dan in taekwondo, at least in 2003.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another Misconception I have run across is that Aikido is BJJ

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28368
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 7:36pm

Style: Aikido/Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking what I say out of context monkey doesnt prove your point...asshat

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I confess that I am too tired to read this whole thread which I assume to be countless posts laughing at the original poster. I'll just say that I don't think I've recently read a post that contained quite so many stereotypical bullshido statements...

Aikido uses no physical strength, the weight of one's own arms is enough in order to break an assailants bones or throw someone or deliver a killing blow.
    There is also no sparring in aikido.
    The techniques learned are too dangerous to play with
    also with sparring comes rules and in combat there are no rules.
    By each person doing their part of the kata, both gain a better understanding of how the body moves and how it can be manipulated.
    When uke flips, it is not because shite makes them flip, rather shite merely throws uke to the ground with the intention of smashing uke into the ground which would cause serious injury if not death.
    The techniques learned in class would never be used in the street exactly as they are in the dojo.
    Aikido is also about leading your opponent's mind. This is not so much magical as it is about psychological warfare, understanding how people think during a fight and how to manipulate that.
    I was attacked recently by two masked men who wanted my wallet. I was able to use my training to fight them off without killing them.
    therefore aikidoka learn the realities of fighting multiple opponents.
    Finally, to those who think that aikido simply would not work I have to say that aikido is a 1 200 year old martial art used in countless battles
    It may be an esoteric art but do not be fooled into dismissing what you may not yet fully understand.
    Shouldn't there be a prize or something?

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken
    The techniques learned in class would never be used in the street exactly as they are in the dojo. In fact, the techniques are often designed to be performed from the most awkward position so that it will be all the easier in an actual fight. The techniques aikidoka practice are more of a template for understanding how to move and exploit the way others move, which takes many years to develop - the technique of no technique.
    Train as you fight... or you'll fight as you train.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 7:54pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    I've always disliked this idea in aikido of 'committed' attacks. Mediocre martial artists can easily throw hard punches without stagering like a drunk when they fair to connect, and as a such a mediocre martial artist I'd be quite happy closing to striking range and just punching an aikidoka repeatedly.

There are varying levels of commitment. You dont need to throw a punch so hard you stagger to be commited. A true commit attack should be fast hard and with follow though (stepping into your opponet with a punch) Basically an attack where you think that your opponent will have no chance of countering. If you took a step forward with a hard jab or slash with a knife, you may not stagger, but your shoulders will chance position you will have your weight moving forward and you will need to re-center yourself. Thats what we mean by commited attack. If you are standing and just jabbing, its not very commited, aikido will be harder there. It can be less then that too, perhaps you open with a front kick then land on the kicking leg and with a punch. If your body weight is moving and behind your attack, thats what I would call commited.

However a moderatly decent fighter should know better then to be off balance. So the 'trick' becomes throwing him off guard (maybe with a stance or a gesture, or an attack). You will need to get him to commit himself. You might do that with your position. When I first came to my dojo, my teacher apeared to be in my rage. But when I attacked I realized I was really just far enough away that I ether need to move in (and thus not really try to hit him with the current attack) or extend myself out a little farther then I really wanted to. The result, a slight extention was all he needed to bring me into a really bad position. Had I pulled the punch he would of been safe and had no need for aikido. Other times it has been an unexpected attack while I was attacking that required me to take the hit or guard, and he then used the guard to maniupulate me. However none of it would of been possible if I had been just a little more aware, or if he wasn't quick and didn't have good position.

Anyways, I dont want to write another book. :icon_tong
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast