Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 7:49pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Misconceptions of Aikido

Hi everyone,
    I was reading another thread about aikido but it was too late to post and although I've only been training in Yoshinkan Aikido for a little over 4 years, I thought I would write a little bit about my understanding of aikido training.

Aikido uses no physical strength, the weight of one's own arms is enough in order to break an assailants bones or throw someone or deliver a killing blow. To use strength such as someone suggested when they spoke about "powerful clothesline throws" is absolutely the wrong idea in aikido, there will always be someone stronger than you, there will always be someone tougher than you. If you were simply stronger than your opponent, then what do you need martial arts for? Your body must be like flowing water blending around an obstacle. It may seem like a contradiction to what alot of other arts teach but that is what aikido is about. You must change your way of thinking. What you think is, isn't.

There is also no sparring in aikido. The techniques learned are too dangerous to play with, also with sparring comes rules and in combat there are no rules. The idea is that sparring teaches people to hold back or to depend too much on a certain single technique which they can trick people with in a tournament. The method of training could be described more like a dance where each person has specific roles and motions to perform.

The person on whom the technique is applied [uke], performs their part of the technique as perfectly as possible whether or not the person applying the technique [shite] causes them to do so. It is not for uke to resist the technique because if they changed what they were doing such as stopping to pull and starting to push then a different technique would be used. By each person doing their part of the kata, both gain a better understanding of how the body moves and how it can be manipulated. Shite practices experiencing balance and uke practices experiencing imbalance.

When uke flips, it is not because shite makes them flip, rather shite merely throws uke to the ground with the intention of smashing uke into the ground which would cause serious injury if not death. That is why aikido is jokingly sometimes referred to as "the art of hitting people with planets". The flip is done by uke as an escape [kaishi waza] from the throw. That is why in the club in which I train we learn 17 ways just to fall because each one is more than a fall it's a specific kind of escape.

The "robotic" motions some of you have mentioned are important for certain styles of aikido training which break down the basic techniques into steps where both shite and uke must follow these steps exactly because once a level of understanding for the basic techniques has been reached, reversal techniques can be learned where part-way through a technique uke becomes shite and it is important that while uke is performing the technique up till then that they are in the precise position in order to do the reversal This is also why some aikidoka start refering to two or more people performing a technique as one "shite-uke".

The techniques learned in class would never be used in the street exactly as they are in the dojo. In fact, the techniques are often designed to be performed from the most awkward position so that it will be all the easier in an actual fight. The techniques aikidoka practice are more of a template for understanding how to move and exploit the way others move, which takes many years to develop - the technique of no technique.

Aikido is also about leading your opponent's mind. This is not so much magical as it is about psychological warfare, understanding how people think during a fight and how to manipulate that. One such way to do this is by purposely creating obvious openings or points where assailants would be more likely to try an take advantage of. Just like in the film "The Seven Samurai" where the characters fortify most of the village except for specific points where they want the bandits to attack. Uke rushing at shite to grab his extended arm may look ridiculous but in an actual fight people will grab at anything they may see as an opening. For those reading this who have seen people attacked on the street you may have seen that alot of the time an assailant will grab someone pull them in and punch them, the wrist-grab is just one example of a possible place that someone could be grabbed which aikidoka practice.

I would also like to address the idea some have that aikidoka do not learn how to attack effectively. If uke is attacking shite so shite can practice a particular technique then aikidoka are indeed learning to attack. Coupling this with the fact that if an aikidoka attacks someone and a technique starts being applied, that aikidoka can reverse that technique. When an aikidoka can attack with the knowledge that they can evade block or reverse anything that could come at them nothing would hold them back from insitgating a fight if they needed to? Gozo Shioda Sensei, founder of the Yoshinkan style, wrote that "Atemi [strikes] are 70% of a real fight." He was known to often go and challenge the local Yakuza in Shinjuku to fights in order to refine his technique. Aikidoka may learn flips and locks but never forget the practicality of strikes.

Someone also remarked that aikido is not practical for the streets, but this is also untrue. I was attacked recently by two masked men who wanted my wallet. I was able to use my training to fight them off without killing them. Original aikijutsu is a battlefield art. therefore aikidoka learn the realities of fighting multiple opponents. The techniques modern aikidoka learn are for the benefit of not killing assailants. The pins that follow techniques were originally killing motions; ikkago would end with crushing the ribcage, sokomen iriminage would end with the aikidoka wrapping their arm around and breaking the neck as well as the lower spine as the assailant as they dropped on the aikidoka's knee. Luckily I learn both versions :)

Finally, to those who think that aikido simply would not work I have to say that aikido is a 1 200 year old martial art used in countless battles. If it didn't work, the people who practiced it would have been killed off by now. Rooted in pa'qua, shing yi and tai chi as well as blended with the sword style of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, aikido is an ancient and elegant art. Even today it's what is taught to the Tokyo Riot Police because it has proven its effectiveness over time. It may be an esoteric art but do not be fooled into dismissing what you may not yet fully understand.

-Brian

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 7:54pm

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Que Bullies in 5...4...

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm glad I made this new picture. It should keep me quite entertained.

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 7:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:07pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Troll....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:08pm

Style: JTKD/ARNIS/BJJ/km

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    koto ryu is correct it does not matter who old or long ago the thread was. We try to avoid dupplicate topics. :new_sleep

So dont expect any more kindness. :5censored

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken
    Finally, to those who think that aikido simply would not work I have to say that aikido is a 1 200 year old martial art used in countless battles.
    -Brian
    You don't even have that right.I guess what you mean is that Aikido CAN/maybe trace its roots back to some old art that existed 1200 years ago

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    You don't even have that right.I guess what you mean is that Aikido CAN/maybe trace its roots back to some old art that existed 1200 years ago
    Agreed. Last I heard, Kano wasn't around 1200 years ago.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG,

TEH DEADLY AIKIDO!wn!!!1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2005 8:29pm

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of looks like Segal has downs in that picture.
Page 1 of 25 1 234511 ... LastLast