Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Village of Idiocy Resident

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 1:59pm

Style: Dead Lemur Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -----Someone else I know thought all martial arts were wrong because they conflicted with Jesus's teachings to turn the other cheek.-------

who ever says jesus is about turning the other cheek has not read the bible. if you read the book of revelations you will see that jesus can be quite a mean mofo.

Village of Idiocy Resident

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 2:02pm

Style: Dead Lemur Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -------------do a search for christian karate, ive worked out with some of the guys. its no really different than normal classes, just they don't bow to one another or to pictures of fouders of a style etc, since the bible says not to workship a graven image etc.------------

bowing is a sign of respect more then anything else in the MA. no one worships their teacher, fellow students or a picture on the wall.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember a long time ago back in the 80's we went against a team of Christian karate people. It was funny. They all hudled up and did a little prayer before the fights. Later I saw a couple of those guys doing a special and they were all wearing shirts that said, Punching for Jesus! ...or something like that. I thought to myself, would Jesus want you punching people? Very recently I saw a show with some kind of breaking competition and Ironman feats of strength and I think I saw one of those same guys from the 80's Chrisitan karate team doing stuff so I watched the show. Basically they were saying that they could do all these feats because they got thier strength from Christ.

At that point I clicked off. Jesus = Chi = Bullshit. That is as much I could stomach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 2:27pm

Style: Taijiquan - Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have met some people like that, yes. It's their opinion and business and there are definitely kooks on both sides of the fence. IMO, bowing has nothing to do with worship - it is your intent that is meaningful. And I love Taiji, but I don't believe in Chi in the sense of, say, "mystical power that permeates the universe".

There is a very simple solution for those who like MA-style exercise but don't want any part of the "Eastern mysticism" - it's called boxing/kickboxing, wrestling, sambo, submission grappling, fencing....

Dad

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:13pm

Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a brother-in-law who says I shouldn't be doing Kung-Fu because of the spiritual aspect of the art.

I ignore him.
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser
    Hi Guys,

Have any of you noticed or come accross folks who resist getting involved in the MA because it may conflict with thier relgious beliefs or practices?

thanks,

MAuser
    There's like a million billion Web sites from religious groups on this topic. They all suck, but they are kind of funny to read.

I think this site (http://www.logosresourcepages.org/) has some -- and a bazillion other pieces of shite.

Take your pick. And STFU.

-daGorilla

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:19pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My pastor loves NHB/MMA. So i really dont have a problem with that sort of thing.

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Awesome. We really need a religious thread going.
    Seems like one ignites about once a month. Here, let's get it out our systems:

Bullshido Trollerizer Automatic Postermicator:

Pick one of the following:

Ninjas...
    Jesus...
    Ashida Kim...
    Wing Chun...
    TKD...
    Chi...
    Dim Mak...
    Matt Furey...
    Commander Coal...

and add one of the following:

...Pwns
    ...Sucks
    ...is Too Deadly

Now click Post.

Congratulations! You're a dumbass!

-daGorilla

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    religion is the ultimate form of brainwashing. i don't think any other activity has caused so much death and destruction. all those fanatical people blowing themselves up and killing the "sinners" all with a smile on their face and it's ok i'm going to heaven thoughts in their head

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 3:53pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    Seems like one ignites about once a month. Here, let's get it out our systems:

Bullshido Trollerizer Automatic Postermicator:

Pick one of the following:

Ninjas...
    Jesus...
    Ashida Kim...
    Wing Chun...
    TKD...
    Chi...
    Dim Mak...
    Matt Furey...
    Commander Coal...

and add one of the following:

...Pwns
    ...Sucks
    ...is Too Deadly

Now click Post.

Congratulations! You're a dumbass!

-daGorilla
    Dude. You left out Phil.

In all seriousness, it seems like things are cyclical. In the short time I've been reading these forums, I've noticed that one idiot thread seems to attract other idiot threads and then they mate, producing lots of idiot thread offspring. The TKD foolishness this week is a prime example. Last week it was Chi. A few months ago it was Wing Chun and Shou Shou.

It appears this weekend will be religion!

I always hesitate to read the threads that I know are stupid. On the one hand, they are usually a big source of unintentional funny. On the other, they also make me want to dig my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast