Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:04pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA and Religion?

Hi Guys,

Have any of you noticed or come accross folks who resist getting involved in the MA because it may conflict with thier relgious beliefs or practices?

thanks,

MAuser

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't associate with people who have strong religious beliefs.

And seriously, are you serious?
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, my friends wife became a fundimental christian and wouldn't attend tai chi classes because she had felt chi flowing and thought it might be satan.

Someone else I know thought all martial arts were wrong because they conflicted with Jesus's teachings to turn the other cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:24pm

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser
    Hi Guys,

Have any of you noticed or come accross folks who resist getting involved in the MA because it may conflict with thier relgious beliefs or practices?

thanks,

MAuser
    Not around here, but when I was in Tuela (sp?) Utah doing my annual two weeks (that was actually 3.5, but we still called it the 2 weeks), I visited a local TKD school out of boredom one day. He said that he had actually been approached by some of the local religious 'fathers' about what his class was really teaching.

I almost laughed, but I am not from the area to know if it was just a story or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Yes, my friends wife became a fundimental christian and wouldn't attend tai chi classes because she had felt chi flowing and thought it might be satan.

Someone else I know thought all martial arts were wrong because they conflicted with Jesus's teachings to turn the other cheek.
    That's a funny one!

Turning the other cheek wasn't just "take it and don't retaliate" if they really knew the historical context.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. We really need a religious thread going.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by loki09789
    That's a funny one!

Turning the other cheek wasn't just "take it and don't retaliate" if they really knew the historical context.
    Well I've been reliably informed that it didn't just mean this . :bootyshak .

She was chinese and her two brothers were heavily into their kung-fu +christian , it's just that's what she took from her religion.

I met her again about a year ago and she seemed to have chilled out somewhat.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 10/21/2005 1:29pm at . Reason: Smilies buggered

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 1:20pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do a search for christian karate, ive worked out with some of the guys. its no really different than normal classes, just they don't bow to one another or to pictures of fouders of a style etc, since the bible says not to workship a graven image etc.

they saw no philosphical conflict between the martial aspect of karate and christianity, more regarding the ettequite.
    Last edited by hl1978; 10/21/2005 1:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    do a search for christian karate, ive worked out with some of the guys. its no really different than normal classes, just they don't bow to one another or to pictures of fouders of a style etc, since the bible says not to workship a graven image etc.
    My instructor was teaching in the city of Buffalo and took out any bowing elements in the salutation/signs of respect because some of his students were strict muslims. He also adjusted as the need arose certain pairing up practices due to the gender relation guidelines for the more fundamental types, both Muslim and Pentecostal Christians that were in the area.

As you said, the meat of the class wasn't impacted by these things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 1:32pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. When I was younger and trying to find an MA to do, the friend I was gonna take up a class with found her parents woudn't let her go because bowing to anything was 'false idol worship' and God didn't like that. Also, anything Chinese (therefore related to chi in their eyes) would have chi, which is power, which is mystical, which is Satan.

She was also forbidden from reading any books with magic or dragons in; these were also Satanic. The family were total creationist Evangelists (the type that have the priest poke you in the head and scream DEVILSBEGONEINTHENAMEOFTHELORD ar you and push you over).

---

At the mo the religious bit bugs me because there's a girl in the class who claimed she could no longer train with the men because God said not to. So, she now gets PRIVATE lessons - ie: in a room, alone, with a male teacher (wtf?) and even her gradings - which we all have to do in front of everyone - are done in private - with males.

In short, she plays the religious card to get freebie private classes and private gradings, and it really bothers me. That, and because she won't grapple with males, I am forced to grapple or groundfight with her, and she's weak and I don't get a good workout, just a girlie rollaround.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast