Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can, always have a gym at home.

A power rack and a barbell/dumbell set is all you need, add a chinup-dip nar and you are set.
    Punching bag and voila, instead gym.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info guys. I do appreciate it. As for home equipment.. I have about 250lbs of cheap ass walmart plastic covered concrete weights and an old coffee table I've been using as a bench. Plus I've got a beat-to-**** DIY heavy bag. I'd like to replace that stuff but finances won't allow me a few hundred right this moment to get a real bench/bar/bag/rack whatever.

On a positive note, I found a gym that might be what I'm looking for. It's called Steel City, it doesn't advertise even in the phone book, and it's run out of the back of an industrial park.

If that doesn't work out, I guess I'll need advice on how a 300lb man can do olympic lifts in an apartment without disturbing the neighbors or falling through the floor.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Thanks for the info guys. I do appreciate it. As for home equipment.. I have about 250lbs of cheap ass walmart plastic covered concrete weights and an old coffee table I've been using as a bench. Plus I've got a beat-to-**** DIY heavy bag. I'd like to replace that stuff but finances won't allow me a few hundred right this moment to get a real bench/bar/bag/rack whatever.

On a positive note, I found a gym that might be what I'm looking for. It's called Steel City, it doesn't advertise even in the phone book, and it's run out of the back of an industrial park.

If that doesn't work out, I guess I'll need advice on how a 300lb man can do olympic lifts in an apartment without disturbing the neighbors or falling through the floor.
    Just be careful on that coffee table! I can't imagine it would take much weight to break a coffee table. Damn, that would suck!

Appreciate that heavy bag of yours. In my experience, the older the better. I've always hated new heavy bags.

Ronin's right. All I would need is a squat rack, barbell, roughly 315 lbs of assorted weight, a place to do pullups and dips and that's all I would ever need. Maybe a few dumbells would be nice as well. I could have saved a lot of money over the years, not to mention time waiting for equipment.

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gear is ghetto.

Table - heavy solid wood. The legs are solid 4x4's. Thing is like from the 50's. I dunno what it was made for but it's not gonna break easy. I just don't like how I can't get the bar to my chest.

Bag - it's actually an old army duffle with 150lbs of sand covered in duct tape and extra foam padding. I kick it old school yo.

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 10:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok that gym I found is a hard core facility. lots of hammer-something (hammer pants?) machines, tons of freeweights, squat rack, turns out it's the local bodybuilder gym and there's a few guys in cutting for a meet. Neat.

So I'm talking to the guys and whatever, and one guy who's a personal trainer at another gym (huh?) says that since I'm new to gyms that I'd be better of in a place with more hand holding for a few months. According to him it'd be easier to learn to use the machines and have someone watch to make sure my form is ok. So... is he right? I didn't think i needed assistance, but some of those machines were pretty wild and I've never had a pro check my form even though I'm fairly certain it's ok.

What is you guys opinion? Kiddie pool or jump in the deep end?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Ok that gym I found is a hard core facility. lots of hammer-something (hammer pants?) machines, tons of freeweights, squat rack, turns out it's the local bodybuilder gym and there's a few guys in cutting for a meet. Neat.

So I'm talking to the guys and whatever, and one guy who's a personal trainer at another gym (huh?) says that since I'm new to gyms that I'd be better of in a place with more hand holding for a few months. According to him it'd be easier to learn to use the machines and have someone watch to make sure my form is ok. So... is he right? I didn't think i needed assistance, but some of those machines were pretty wild and I've never had a pro check my form even though I'm fairly certain it's ok.

What is you guys opinion? Kiddie pool or jump in the deep end?
    I think the opposite is true. I think you're better off at a gym with more serious lifters, even if they are bodybuilders. Just keep in mind that a bodybuilder is going to have different goals than you. Also bodybuilders are infamous for using bad form on a lot of lifts (stiff legged deadlifts standing on a bench, bench pressing with their elbows flaired out to their sides and bringing the bar down to their necks, pullups and shoulder presses behind their necks, etc.). It would be better to emmulate power lifters, rather than bodybuilders. However, there are probably some powerlifter types at your gym as well.

As for all of those machines, you don't need them. I don't know how to use half of those machines either, and I've been in and out of gyms my whole life. The thing is I don't want to know how to use them, so it's irrelevant. I think with your stated goals, you're better off not using them either. But, that's ultimately up to you.

Apostol mentioned in another thread that he hired a GOOD personal trainer. I'm not sure it's necessary, but it might be worth your while to hire a good personal trainer (emphasis on GOOD), just for 2 or 3 sessions to design a functional strength program and show you how to properly do the lifts.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12