Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    I don't know if you could just limit it to the the best, but maybe those that make the majority of their income from it...? There are alot of guys in pro boxing, that make a living from it that are just fodder for up and coming fighters.

They have alot of skills that work but they aren't the best, but sitll dedicate themselvs to the sport.

Hince the top 20, top 5 would be the best.
    Though MAYBE, depending on the weight class, you can even work with the top 50.

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 12:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Well pendejos, I'm still at work, and my BJJ class it's in 1.5 hours, so with plenty of time, I'm gonna write how I'm currently training. I usually change things a bit every 3-4 weeks.

Cuz my work schedule is kind of funky, I have to split my workouts in the morning and night. Any suggestions will be appreciated. If you are mean or borderline retard, you'll get an implicit "screw you" :viking:

================================================== ====

M-W-F mornings:
    - 15 minutes of yoga (good for stretching and reducing constipation)
    - run 1 or 2 miles
    - jump the rope for 10-15 minutes
    - 3 set of pushups until failure... 1 on 3-lower knuckles, pause,
    1 on 2-big knuckles, pause, 1 on fingers, (pause and repeat whole thing 3 times - no scientific reason to do so, I just like it)

M-W nights:
    my BJJ classes

T-Th mornings:
    - 15 minutes of yoga
    - different abs/lower back exercises (whatever I feel like it)
    - 3 set of pushup until failure on a medicine ball
    - 2 or 3 set of lunges with dumbells

T-Th nights (gym time):
    - barbell pushups, barbell rows and forearms Tuesdays,
    arms, triceps and shoulders on Thursdays
    - kick the **** out of a bag at the gym (don't know if I'm doing it right, but it
    feels good to kick something after dealing with morons at work all day)

Saturdays or Sundays (gym time):
    - Squats, stiff-leg deadlifts, leg presses, calve raises
    - punch heavy bag (hands wrapped)... and kick the **** out of it if I still have
    energy for it

================================================== ====

So that's it. On top of that, I dance Salsa for 3 hours every Sunday (I gotta do some other things!!!) I imagine I will have to alter my exercise routines once I take more BJJ classes per week. But right now, I can only affort two classes per week.

- tHe EnD -
    This is definite proof that I train more like an athlete(for no particular sport, but building the strength and body needed to be an athlete) than most of you retards. This guy does forearm and calf specific excercises(purely vanity excercises), when he could hit them with power moves and O lifts, plus he does 5 times the amount of cardio he needs to do(if he had a good diet going I would put him at 5 percent body fat), plus he seems to be afraid of lifting heavy with his chest routines, and he warms up with yoga first, instead of jump rope first, and has no cooldown in a couple of his workouts.

But look at the redeeming qualities of this man's otherwise beautiful routine. He does everything to failure to increase lactate threshold, does so many variations of the classic pushup that I think he could apply his chest strength on any plane, follows a classic 3 to 1 ratio in lower body to upper body excercises, focusing on compound heavy moves, the most functional. He also doesn't forget his abs or lower back and knows when to call it quits on the cardio(judging by the fact that he doesn't jog on top of all this), and finds the time to put in more than 3-4 hours it looks like maybe more a week on his sport in question! He is most certainly a better athlete than me, and I'll try to find this man's photo and compare and contrast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 12:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    he warms up with yoga first, instead of jump rope first,
    Why do you think jump rope is a better warm-up than yoga?

This is definite proof that I train more like an athlete(for no particular sport, but building the strength and body needed to be an athlete) than most of you retards
    He is most certainly a better athlete than me
    Are you trying to be sarcastic?

I had another question I wanted to ask you--you listed Pro Gym experience in your profile--who did you train with?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMack11
    I had another question I wanted to ask you--you listed Pro Gym experience in your profile--who did you train with?
    He totally hung out in a gold's gym for like 15 minutes before the manager kicked him out. I heard he shoplifted a pen. SCORE!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is definite proof that I train more like an athlete(for no particular sport, but building the strength and body needed to be an athlete) than most of you retards.
    plus he does 5 times the amount of cardio he needs to do(if he had a good diet going I would put him at 5 percent body fat),
    How can you be sure that someone does more cardio than he needs to? Professional boxers still run several miles a day, up to six times per week. This guy is barely doing anything to that extreme, his is more of a weekend-warrior approach, which is perfectly fine.

and he warms up with yoga first, instead of jump rope first, and has no cooldown in a couple of his workouts.
    Yoga's fine to warm-up with, I've started taking a few classes myself and it's not that stressful at all but gets your body moving and the blood flowing. It's not a bad idea. As for a cooldown, that's really only when you're running long distances. I fail to see the need for a cooldown once you finish strength training or doing push-ups.

But look at the redeeming qualities of this man's otherwise beautiful routine. He does everything to failure to increase lactate threshold, does so many variations of the classic pushup that I think he could apply his chest strength on any plane, follows a classic 3 to 1 ratio in lower body to upper body excercises, focusing on compound heavy moves, the most functional. He also doesn't forget his abs or lower back and knows when to call it quits on the cardio(judging by the fact that he doesn't jog on top of all this), and finds the time to put in more than 3-4 hours it looks like maybe more a week on his sport in question! He is most certainly a better athlete than me, and I'll try to find this man's photo and compare and contrast.
    I assume you're being sarcastic. Still, I would definitely say he is a better fighter than you (which was the actual presentation brought forth to begin this entire thread), as he actually TRAINS in a martial art. A novel concept, I know, but people do it for some odd reason.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ay guys, this thread is becoming quite interesting. I got to say that my training routine is far from perfect. Moreover, I'm going to have to modify it when I start taking more MA classes on January (probably 3 BJJ 1.5 hour classes + 1 Kickboxing and possibly 1 MMA class per week). But there are a few things I like to clarify:
    This guy does forearm and calf specific excercises(purely vanity excercises), when he could hit them with power moves and O lifts
    I actually do squats, deadlifts, and leg presses once a week, all out... my entire leg session is over 2 hours. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but I enjoy it a lot :glasses9:

Besides, I do lunges twice a week in the morning... with heavy dumbells...
    plus he seems to be afraid of lifting heavy with his chest routines, and he warms up with yoga first, instead of jump rope first, and has no cooldown in a couple of his workouts.
    No man, not affraid of lifting heavy with my chest at all. Been there, done that. I keep my Tuesday nights for that. As for yoga before jumping a rope, it's a necessity. Power Yoga by itself (when done properly and vigorously) warms you up big time. Not only I do it for stretching, but for working out the core muscles as well as the shoulders and forearms. Funny thing that I was never able to do one hand pushups until after I started doing yoga. I may be wrong, but this has helped me a lot with the BJJ classes.

The key to use yoga for warming up is in the breathing. And I don't mean the girlie yoga tape. I mean power yoga, the Ashtanga type of it. You stretch a group of muscles by vigorously contracting the opposite group of muscles as you try to keep your balance. And you keep those contractions for long periods at a time. And at the same time, you breath as deeply, strongly and slowly as possible - non-stop. If I were to do the rope jumping first, I would not be able to perform my yoga with the same intensity.
    He is most certainly a better athlete than me, and I'll try to find this man's photo and compare and contrast.
    Well, my picture is in my profile. I'm not sure if I'm a better athlete than anyone around here. I'm just an sport-oriented guy and a dancer. No more, no less. And once I start doing more BJJ classes on January, I must cut down a lot of my workouts. Plus, I want to spend more time hitting the heavy bag, and I bought a few boxing books with drills that I want to practice on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    This guy is barely doing anything to that extreme, his is more of a weekend-warrior approach, which is perfectly fine.
    Yep, "weekend warrior"... that's me. :guitar: I'm trying not do to anything extreme anymore. On November, 2001, I overworked myself - ran 4 miles daily, weightlifted 5 times a week, and trained in dancing at nights. The end result... I got seriously ill, got a pharynx infection, a fever, and lost 10 pounds in 4 days. I've never been able to fully recover after that. Fucking moron me.
    he actually TRAINS in a martial art. A novel concept, I know, but people do it for some odd reason.
    My reason is mostly because that's what I always wanted to do. I did Judo for a while during my childhood, and got hooked on it. After many years, I'm back and want to see how far I can go. While I'm doing BJJ, I want to go back into Judo, and perhaps MT, later of course (I'd try KK if there were any decent schools in the Miami area, though.)

On another note, I need to take it easy on the bag and knuckle pushups. My right hand is a bit swollen on the top part of the hand, between the little and ring finger knuckles and the middle of my hand. All of the sudden, cuz it wasn't like that yesterday. Fucking hurts when I type. Any suggesttions besides the good old "ice and rest"???
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    On another note, I need to take it easy on the bag and knuckle pushups. My right hand is a bit swollen on the top part of the hand, between the little and ring finger knuckles and the middle of my hand. All of the sudden, cuz it wasn't like that yesterday. Fucking hurts when I type. Any suggesttions besides the good old "ice and rest"???
    Try to do your knuckle push-ups on the first two knuckles only instead of all of them. Other than that, ice and rest is the way to go.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to do your knuckle push-ups on the first two knuckles only instead of all of them. Other than that, ice and rest is the way to go.
    Koto, do you mean to do push-ups on the first two knuckles only while the inflamation subsides, or you mean in general (that is, to avoid pushups on the lower knuckles)???

Thanks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a huge advocate of yoga, particularly Ashtanaga (once you work up to it), but I would never recommend it for a warm-up. It's good post-workout, but better yet on its own.

The vigorous stretching required of yoga will not only have a negative impact on your performance, but may also make you more succesptible to injury, when done immediately prior to training or competing.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 12:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    He totally hung out in a gold's gym for like 15 minutes before the manager kicked him out. I heard he shoplifted a pen. SCORE!
    Your an idiot. Gold's Gym=Actual Gym
    Pro Gym=small place with a boxing ring, 2 out of shape ex kickboxers and a submission wrestler.

I don't remember the guy's name, as I was young and it didn't matter back then, but I switched between calling him Mitch and Frank the whole time. There were 2 other people, but I never caught their names either. The place is still standing, so I'll swing by there when I can and pick up some names for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I'm a huge advocate of yoga, particularly Ashtanaga (once you work up to it), but I would never recommend it for a warm-up. It's good post-workout, but better yet on its own.

The vigorous stretching required of yoga will not only have a negative impact on your performance, but may also make you more succesptible to injury, when done immediately prior to training or competing.
    That's what I was talking about. Stretch=cooldown, not warmup. I don't care how vigorous it is. I do dynamic stretches, but that yoga **** sounds evil on performance.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021