Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 2:19am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

10 cups of green tea a day?

So in my research on antioxidants, I've found some sites suggesting that the optimal benefit from green tea consumption would be consuming upwards of 10 cups a day.

Even if they went by the "brewing metric" of a cup being 6oz (instead of the usual cup being 8oz), that's close to a half gallon of green tea a day. Assuming a general amount of 1/3rd the caffeine of coffee per cup (100mg/cup of coffee), that comes out to 200-300mg of caffeine a day. That's a fair amount of caffeine and fluid.

Apparently, Asian people do this with no ill effect as part of their diet.

I've also seen evidence suggesting a combination of supplementing green tea extract with a moderate consumption of the actual product.

Anyone want to weigh in on that?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 4:21am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I've read it's more like 5-7 cups a day, but still, you're right, that is a lot of caffiene (3 cups of coffee worth).

From what I understand though, there are a variety diffirent green teas out there each with a greater or lesser amount of caffeine. For example, Bancha leaf has more than Banch (Kuchicha) twig, but the twig, despite having almost no caffeine, still has some of those good antioxidants. I think there are like 15 green teas, such as those already stated, and :Genmaicha (roasted with brown rice), Sencha, Hojicha, Konacha, Matcha...etc. So I think the best way to do it (the way I do it) is to start in the morning with strongest (in caffeine), and as the day progresses go to the least (Kuchicha. Altogether I do drink 10 cups, because some have between half to quarter of the antioxidants of the strong stuff.

Hope that helps.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 4:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, for these purposes I wouldn't count Matcha, cause it's only crushed Sencha. Gyokuro has the most antioxidants of any of them, and is the most expensive.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 4:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've looked into this too, but am sticking with what my mum always says - "everything in moderation" - in this case largely because of the caffeine factor and the fact that green tea can apparently intefere with your absorbtion of iron.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 4:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true about the iron. But that's kinda what I'm saying, the twig teas don't have practically any tannins in them to interfere with iron. Plus if you steep them for less time, you get the antioxidants, less caffeine, less tannins. Tea steeped like this, according to a my docter (who's also a naturpath), has about the same potential to interfere with iron as drinking a small cup of coffee in the morning and having a square of chocolate at night. I'm not a docter though, and I didn't do much research on it myself. I'm not vegetarian though, so lack of iron doesn't really worry me.

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 9:26am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pomegranate juice has no caffeine and 3x the antioxidants of Green Tea. It's damn expensive though, especially compared to tea.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 9:36am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drink close to ten cups of black tea a day (english style with milk and sugar). I haven't been sick in over two years. Not sure how much the tea has to do with it. It keeps me well hydrated ( I also piss a lot), though black tea doesn't have as many anti-oxidants as green tea.

I wouldn't worry about it blocking iron absorption, men usually don't have to worry about iron deficiency. Women do though.

edit: I do recommend several cups of tea/day for everyone.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about Pycnogenol® or grape seed pip for antioxydent defense supplementation?

The green tea extract was suggested by my doctor to boost the imune system. But the extract contains caffiene too, it just doesn't say how much on the bottle. :sad:

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 9:41am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    What about Pycnogenol® or grape seed pip for antioxydent defense supplementation?

The green tea extract was suggested by my doctor to boost the imune system. But the extract contains caffiene too, it just doesn't say how much on the bottle. :sad:

It's probably not enough to worry about, green tea doesn't have near the levels of caffeine a cup of coffee or soda has, unless you're picky about not having any caffeine.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 12:39pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want more antioxidants, go with white tea. I switch between Silver Needle white tea, Monkey Picked Oolong tea, and Genmaicha (be sure to keep it refridgerated). For some good quality tea that you can order online, check out:

http://www.teahousechoice.com/

Edit: oops, the owner said his site would be down for a few weeks. Check back later.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast