Posted On:
    10/18/2005 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Batman Begins - Keysi fighting on DVD

Wow,

I just purchased the new Batman Begins DVD. There is a great segment on the supplemental DVD included in the two disk edition which shows some of the Keysi fighting techniques they used to create Batman's fighting style.

They also explained why they edited the fights to be so hard to follow...they were supposed to be from the criminal's perspective where Batman is just an "animal blur".

Very nice DVD special feature.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 4:13am

Style: Nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did they bother with a fighting style? You can't see anything at all during the fights. It sounds like just a really lame excuse that the fights were made that way on purpose. Batman Begins is a terrific movie, but they should have made the fights watchable.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't Keysi fighting the one you see in Martial arts magazines from time to time?
    Vaugely MMA flavored techniques strung into choreographed sequences suitabe for the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 9:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, watching the DVD extras, then going back to watch the film fights, you see a great deal more than you first noticed. It is mainly the Batman vs. Henchmen/street thug fights which are a total blur. The Bruce Wayne vs. prisoners, Bruce Wayne vs. Ninjas etc. are much easier to follow.

I have no idea about Keysi advertising, I don't read MA magazines at all. The system seemed to concentrate on using elbows and hammer fists and headbutts. I tried to view their website but it's down for a re-vamp of some sort.

Anyone else watch the DVD yet?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 4:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to be a bit fashionable these days to point out in big shiny letters whatever martial art influenced whichever movie is currently out. I recall when Kill Bill was all the rage, the media pushed that style... where you hit each other with rubber samurai swords (I forget the name). And when that godawful J LO movie came out, when she beats up her husband, the magazines couldn't get enough about how it was Krav Maga she used. Wether or not she did is irrelevant, but I bet it boosted their student intake for a month. Ditto for Ong-Bak and muay thai.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 4:20pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I blame it on the Hunted and Arnis. Tommy Lee Jones could kick anyone's ass regardless just by looking at them.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 4:23pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter H.
    I blame it on the Hunted and Arnis. Tommy Lee Jones could kick anyone's ass regardless just by looking at them.
    Apart from Sean Connery, no man af woman born can defeat Sean Connery.

Also, doesn't Dan Inosanto have something to do with KEYSI?

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    10/20/2005 12:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more I watch it...the more it looks like Arnis/Kali with a new name...everything old is new again.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2005 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just about to sit down and watch the dvd, my wife got me it yesterday. I will check that segment out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2005 10:27pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I was trying to FORGET about J-Lo and her two-week course in Krav...Between her training completely and perfectly mirroring the actual 'fight' at the end, and the fact she does it while wearing fancy red hand-wraps. Yeah. She killed the guy, wearing hand-wraps. How much did Everlast pay for that?
    I'm sure Krav Maga has its points, even though its reliance on plain out dirty techniques makes it a bit taboo to the fist-happy US of A. But...I mean, the entire movie came down to her having to kill her forcefully psychotic husband. Breaking in, hiding all his weapons and even the kitchen knives, so she could push him off a ledge. So it looks like self defense, she gets off scratch-free legally and complexion wise.
    ...so...shanking a person with a butter knife, jail time. Bad. He'll just come back from the dead and sue. Pushing him off a ledge wearing Everlast Brand red handwraps in a Nike brand stealth outfit, brand name happy ending.
    Boxing has Rocky III. And now, Kravers have 'Enough' featuring J-Lo and her EVERLAST hand wraps.
    ...son of a...they should be paying ME for even mentioning the freakin' movie.
    Begins was my movie of the year. I used to be into the comics, and the cast just did it for me. As much as ninjutsu haunts me from every corner of the internet, I liked the fact Bruce fights like a cop. A well educated, well trained, cop. But the plain yet extremely effective style is masked by the costume and the whole ninja thing.
    They really milk the fear references, but think about it. An extremely fast moving, possibly not human bat creature jumps at you from a shadow. Are you going to take out a graph sheet and critique his BJJ influence compared to the MMA trend?
    No. You scream and get hit with something. It's realistic, sadly enough. But it's better than the whole '...how do they not know Clark is Superman with glasses?' thing from the Chris Reeves days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast