224803 Bullies, 3559 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    "Viking ninja" sounds so funny. Not as good as Pirate ninja's but it's close.
    Viking ninjas combine the sneakiness and deadliness of the ninja with the berserk fury of the Vikings. I should know, I am one.

:ninjadanc :ninjadanc :ninjadanc :ninjadanc :ninjadanc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blargle
    Then it goes off to explain the "Wolfshirts" (the Viking Ninja) and other secret cult/groups that supposebly existed.
    He's talking about a semi-mythical class of Viking warrior known as Ulfhamir, which does literally mean "wolf shirt"; another Old Norse term for this unorthodox form of armor is Vargstakkar. "Dr. Lung's" source was probably a New Age book on Viking mysticism called "Practical Magic in the Northern Tradition", which was published in 1989 and which describes the Ulfhednar as "entering combat singly, as guerilla fighters". Unfortunately, the author of that book, Nigel Pennick, was very inclined to present his own theories, speculations and outright fantasies as historical facts.

The tradition of outlaw warriors wearing wolfskins is well established in the Icelandic sagas, and there does seem to be some evidence distinguishing them from the better-known Berzerkir warriors. They are probably part of the origin of the modern werewolf myth. However, to describe them as being equivalent to the Japanese ninja, on the basis of the surviving evidence, is quite a stretch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:21pm

Style: Just Muay Thai for now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    He's talking about a semi-mythical class of Viking warrior known as Ulfhamir, which does literally mean "wolf shirt"; another Old Norse term for this unorthodox form of armor is Vargstakkar. "Dr. Lung's" source was probably a New Age book on Viking mysticism called "Practical Magic in the Northern Tradition", which was published in 1989 and which describes the Ulfhednar as "entering combat singly, as guerilla fighters". Unfortunately, the author of that book, Nigel Pennick, was very inclined to present his own theories, speculations and outright fantasies as historical facts.

The tradition of outlaw warriors wearing wolfskins is well established in the Icelandic sagas, and there does seem to be some evidence distinguishing them from the better-known Berzerkir warriors. They are probably part of the origin of the modern werewolf myth. However, to describe them as being equivalent to the Japanese ninja, on the basis of the surviving evidence, is quite a stretch.
    Wow...nice. Very nicely researched.

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 7:25pm

Style: Kfu, Wc, Taiji, Mili comb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read a couple of Ha HA lungs books.. (Funny dragon perhaps) ..
    Notably

Cult of the assassins.. A book detailing (somewhat vaguely) links between Freemasonry, Ninjas, Saladin (muslim warlord) and the cult of the Hashashins (where we get the word assasin from) ... Have lots of stuff re-edited from all his other books..

He seems to re edit his old books into New covers with Titles like "Knights of darkness" obviously aimed at Ninja Wanabees..

As for the books themselves... They contain Synopsis like history that tries to justify the amateur Psychology mixed with Basic sentry removal knowledge found in books like "all in fighting" by w.E Fairbairn (published first in 1942 for Servicemen) Fortunately warfare has moved on a bit since then. Even a Magical ninja suit (LOL) shows up on motion sensors, Thermal goggles and even Night vision...

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateus
    Even a Magical ninja suit (LOL) shows up on motion sensors, Thermal goggles and even Night vision...
    The magical ninja suit isn't even all that great vs. the good old Mark I eyeball. It produces a nice, defined sillouette, easy for a sentry to pick out of the shadows. The best form of camoflage breaks up the outline of whatever you're trying to hide. That's what WWI and II ships are sometimes seen with strange paint jobs made up of contrasting dark and light shapes (the Brits called it "dazzleflage"). It made it difficult for subs to figure speed and drirection, or even which end was the front or back, visually.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 8:21pm

Style: JTKD/ARNIS/BJJ/km

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are we so amused by the "ninja ways". I played ninja when I was kid. Now I hate the word and spit on it when its sold as the greates sh1t ever.

Posted On:
    10/25/2005 8:39pm

Style: Kfu, Wc, Taiji, Mili comb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the suit is a variant on a stage hand theatrical suit that was worn in oriental opera, and was supposed to signify to the audience that no one was there... So magical powers could happen on stage .. e.g Man in black running around with sword = sword flying on its own ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 10:00am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it amusing to see that everyone bad mouths the D3adl33 Ninjers but yet most people posting seem to have read the book(s) or spent enough time looking into them to post these snippets of information.

Buying or reading these books makes the authors money and keeps them printing more. I would suggest no one buy these damn books so that they are not reprinted and sold. I know, this seems unlikely because as they say...there's a sucker born every minute (or something like this)!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 12:43pm

Style: Just Muay Thai for now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis
    I find it amusing to see that everyone bad mouths the D3adl33 Ninjers but yet most people posting seem to have read the book(s) or spent enough time looking into them to post these snippets of information.

Buying or reading these books makes the authors money and keeps them printing more. I would suggest no one buy these damn books so that they are not reprinted and sold. I know, this seems unlikely because as they say...there's a sucker born every minute (or something like this)!
    That is true. A lot of people are suckered into buying this stuff....however, we can assume a lot of people buy it for humor as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2005 5:13pm

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the author laughing all the way to the bank. **** 'em and feed 'em fish!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast