4/06/2003 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROFLMAO!

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You kicked me in the HEAD! You NEVER throw kicks! How'd you do that? Wires?!" - Sempai Phil (my last sparring partner)
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd, sounds like you're just needing to get set up properly.

Stand with a left lead in front of the bag and relax. Get your distance right by extending your left hand so it touches the bag while you still have about 10 degree bend in the elbow. Now step back about 6 inches (15 cm).

With your hands at chest height, point the toes of your left foot through the centerline of the bag. Square your hips to the bag so that your own centerline is lined up directly forward. This is your line of intention. Your heels should be a shoulder width apart and your right foot should be 45 degrees or so to your line of intention. If your having problems keeping your heels the right distance apart, tie a string around your ankles so that when it's tight, it's the length of your shoulder width. It should be loose between your ankles so that when you shuffle your left foot forward 6 inches, it goes tight and your right foot follows to make it just loose again.

As you stand in front of the bag at the predetermined distance, pratice the 6-inch shuffle and land a jab as your left foot touches down solid. Practice this slowly until it feels natural to step and jab while turning your hips out to the right. I tell newbs who try killing the bag to avoid that. The bag'll kill you before you kill it. Best to start out slowly and get proper stepping, hip rotation, and extension of the hand. Also, avoid getting too metered in your reps...like, tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc. Mix your rhythm up and stay loose so you're not telegraphing.

Once you get a decent jab happening, start to step laterally so that you're circling the bag while you work the jab (stick and move). At the same time, you can also start putting a basic left-right combo together. The right should come straight out from the center of your chest at first. Only when you're comfortable with these basics should you start to punch out of a proper guard, and you should only practice punching out of your guard if you have good body-unity as you practice shadow-boxing/stepping.

Give it a try, and definitely get some bag-gloves. :-)

Edited by - Shooter on April 06 2003 22:53:48

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    buy this:

http://sherdog.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1008562%7C1224210&PRID=107784 1

--------
    Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * pitiful left hand

I'm assuming you are right handed. Which arm do you lead your combos with? Which is your strongest arm? How many punches are typical of your combos?

* poor targeting

People don't usually use a heavy bag to improve accuracy (they use a smaller bag or a partner's glove or whatever) but you can. Get some electrical tape and make little "X"s on the bag. Practice using combonations to hit the targets.

* and extremely telegraphed strikes

Describe your punch, start to finish.. do you chamber it? Cock it back? are you slow? What exactly is telegraphing it? Any ideas?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got some good advice. Do you really manage "to get in about two hours a day on the bag?" That is a LONG bag workout.

For targeting, telegraphing, (and speed) I would use a mirror. It's a Kajukenbo technique. Look at yourself. Do your jabs. One at a time. As you warm up go faster and faster, watching your form and pulling back to good cover/guard hand position between each punch. As my instructor said, when it's hard to see your hand moving, you are getting fast. Eventually my punches were fast, but still inefficient. A tough Kyokushinkai black belt told me with my reach, I should be able to keep him off me with my left jab. (we, unlike trad style allowed hand to head strikes in practice) He taught me how to extend the punch further without loosing balance and control. It was partly technique and partly self assurance. A month or two sparring him did wonders. He was the kind of instructor that would only hit me when I was blowing it. As long as I used good technique he wouldn't hit, as soon as I was open I'd get smashed. It is a matter of quickly (like very very fast) commitment to strike, without thinking about it. I taught myself to explode. Now as an old fart I beat most of the other black belts in class when we drill.

I start by hitting the bag with 100 roundhouse kicks, 100 front, then atleast 20 (ten each leg) side, spinning side, back, and crescents and whatever as I feel like. Then I do lefts, rights, combos and spinning elbows (after jab), knees etc. It sure doesn't take me two hours!

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said anything about two hours? I'm assuming you're not talking to me?! I tend to do about half an hour to 45 minutes on the bag. 2 hours total training, but that includes warm ups, weights, bagwork, stretching, etc.

My one problem is a lack of a partner for focus mitt training.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Happiness is finding yourself in the adoring gaze of one who loves you.

I hope to once again know that feeling."
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 10:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd As I've said in previous threads, I'm one seriously deprived mofo. Four hours of class a week, no training partner, nothing to really practice WITH except for a 75-pound heavybag, and the absolute weakest joints you'll find on a person without rickets. Clearly, I've gotta make do with what I can. I manage to get in about two hours a day on the bag, but I feel like it's not helping me
    pink kitty, you are confused.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put a festive ribbon on the bag, and some glitter.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But to respond to CT (not Boyd), one of the many things I liked about Universal Kempo Karate was that everyone split into pairs with mitt pads for punch drills, then larger pads for kick drills. And they drill to burn - on one count one roundhouse, on two, two kicks, on three, three kicks and by the time they got to seven, people were just hurting and flopping around(well, some of us). We were encouraged to go as hard as we could, and then got a little lecture on conditioning (or lack thereof) and they do submission grappling. I like kata, but there is some real good training benefits from bag and mitt training.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 11:11am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a very good Dan Inosanto book called something like "Martial Arts Training with Equipment". It's kind of hard to find but it's got tons and tons of great drills and conditioning stuff.

(board breaks with a kick)
    "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
    -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast