Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 5:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lajcik's Laws

Professional MMA fighter Tim Lajcik keeps a blog that he fills with his various thouhts. Along with these entries are his laws on how to train properily for maxinum results:

http://timlajcik.jp/blog/archives/2005/06/index.html

Here is an example

"Law #3
    Law #3: In training, as in competition, you must frequently thrust into pain.

As you approach extreme levels of physical exertion your body will naturally send a sensation of discomfort to your brain in an effort to convince you to slow down. Your body is geared towards homeostasis and prefers to stay within the parameters of moderate exertion. If you become anxious and reflexively pull back every time you experience the pain of fatigue, you will never actualize your potential as a fighter. Understand that your body’s capacity is always greater than your mind is initially willing to concede.

Take this example. Many years ago I read an article in a powerlifting magazine extolling the benefits of a weight training routine centered around a twenty-repetition set of squats. The author suggested loading the bar with a weight that would normally be a challenge for ten reps, then squat it twenty times. The first time I read this idea I naturally resisted accepting it, thinking “if I can only squat a given weight ten times, how can I expect to squat the same weight for twenty repetitions?” In the end, though, I decided to suspend logic and commit myself to this twenty-rep principle. Here’s what happened:

I loaded the bar with 455 pounds, a weight that was typically a challenge for me to complete ten repetitions. Before taking the bar onto my shoulders I resolved I would perform twenty reps, fixing that goal in my mind. I grasped the bar, touched my forehead to the center knurling, took a deep breath, positioned myself under bar, and then lifted it from the rack. Absolutely focused on the destination of twenty I completed the first ten deep squats rather mechanically without any real strain. My legs and back still feeling strong, I remained resolute as I entered uncharted territory, methodically completing another four repetitions before I began to feel fatigue. The next three reps required great concentration. I took them one at a time, reaffirming my resolve for the next squat at the completion of the previous one. After the seventeenth rep my hands were numb and my thighs began to shake. I was too close, however, and absolutely refused to be denied. I entered another realm, one I’ve since revisited many times in training and competition. I let go and simply allowed myself to be pulled towards my goal. Not only did I accept the pain of fatigue, with something akin to rapture, I thrust myself into it…18…19… then 20!

The body itself may require only a few of months of hard training to get fit. The rest of the time I’m building my spirit- my guts- so that they’ll work for me in a fight without my thinking about it."

Most of these are pretty common sense stuff that most serious athletes already know. It's still a pretty nice guide with general information though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 5:50pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That definitely is in line with what Brooks Kubrik believes and extols that type of training in his book "dinosaur training".

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a 20 repetition squat, then it's not a 10rm. Also, overtraining like this causes nerve and tissue damage. Train with intensity and intelligence, not insanity and endlessly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 8:20pm

Style: shootwrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of people making huge gains on the 20 rep squat routine. You don't keep it up for more than 6 weeks or so. I've never done it though 'cause I'm too big of a *****. I've done 20 rep sets to mix it up, but not with what I thought was my 10 RM.

Uh, AkiraMusashi, the whole point is to do more than you think you can do. You're supposed to stand there with the weight on your back for as long as you have to in order to complete 20 squats. So you can stand there and "rest" so long as the weight is still on your back.

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 8:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll often do 20 reps....but 455lb squats? wow. that's 55 pounds more than double what i do. holy ****.

Hey Akira, hate to look like a n00b but uh...what's a
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    10rm.
    Last edited by Neildo; 10/17/2005 9:31pm at .

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    If it's a 20 repetition squat, then it's not a 10rm. Also, overtraining like this causes nerve and tissue damage. Train with intensity and intelligence, not insanity and endlessly.
    Goddamit, AM. Sometimes you're my boy and sometimes I want to slap both my hands on the side of your head at the same time to explode your eardrums...

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using logic, one can't do a 10rm for 20 repetitions, it's impossible. And again working to failure is a bad idea.

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Logic would also dictate examining the sources of where this idea came from. It's been around for several decades now. People have put 100lbs on their frame in under three years doing 20-rep squats, using the same philosophy.

Try it for me just once, AM. You will see it's possible. It's even on T-Nation, btw:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=500002

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will this work for Dips? Overhead Press? Deadlift? Why does it depend on squats?

PL

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 11:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because since squats are on your back and supported by your whole body and not your arms, you can push above and beyond what you're used to. Some people advocate 20-rep deadlifts but once you do that many and to the point of exhaustion, you're risking form big time.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast