Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2005 10:41pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite a very small showing, it was still good to see and spar with the guys that did show up (though I am sure Revolution Fist didn't want to kill me on video tape so he left). We should definitely do this again maybe next month?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 8:57am

Style: Thai Boxing,BJJ,wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The throwdown turned out to be a pretty cool learning experience. Too bad it only ended up being 4 people. Two others showed up, one jui jitsu guy from Matt Serra's school, but him and his friend vanished before we started fighting.

Over all it was a good learning experience, left with some cool bruises and what not including a nice swollen ankle (from being retarted and using crappy footwork twisting it up in the first fight, then later throwing a round house from too far landing the kick with my instep to a craned defense of my kick.

Did some ground fighting and definitely picked up some good techniques. was able to pick out some of my solid strenghts and some stuff I need to work on. I can't wait for the next one.

The only thing I might suggest for the next one is being a little more regulated with the head contact. I'm all for it and don't want to eliminate it, but for me to square off and trade full force blows with a 185'er and i'm at 160 eventually i'm going to get knocked the hell out or worse and since its unsanctioned and no meds involved like in the pros someone could suffer a pretty bad injury and will be forced to just lay there and wait unlike the pros that have meds onsite for situations like this. In my second fight I threw a really hard right hook that landed and from that point I realized that I could have easily knocked him out or even cracked him in the nose really doing some damage which wouldn't have been cool.

So personally I think the head contact should be a taken a little lighter. I mean we sparred again later on with light head ocntact and we were still cracking each other in the face pretty hard, but with blows that definitely wouldn't have knocked one another out.

Overall, i'll trade full force shots if thats what every one wants to do...but i'm not tradiing death blows with a big guy like Ray who has really heavy hands...and some sick tai chi counters might I ad!

Hopefully we can get this going at least once a month! Look forward to doing this again with you guys. Peace and Respect....Matt :eatbabies

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear head gear and bang away ... here in Maryland ... "The Gold Standard" for the TD we have guys who weigh around 160 pounds going full on with guys that outweigh them by 70 pounds or more.

You guys are really shitting up the universal "NYC Peeps Are Tuff" perception with all the whine & whimper posts. You do realize that once you get a legitimate (10 at least) TD Crew regulars we are going to challenge you to do a Mega TD against us.

First up ... we're pounding the **** out of the Atlanta TD Crew early this coming Summer ... you all are reading more and more as next on the hit list.
    Last edited by JFS USA; 10/24/2005 11:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Whining....Um...I have no problem banging out with anyone, but, being that it is unsancioned and pretty much held like a fight club bout i'm not ready to have my face mangled and for what...an event that is just to have fun and learn with one another. Put a prize up, a belt, whatever, you wanna bang out at full force i'm down...i've done that plenty of times.

Secondly, big deal that you guys have smaller guys banging it out with people that outweigh them by 70 pounds, that's pretty retarted on the smaller guys parts. Yeah, he's got balls for doing it, but in the end, anyone who fights outside of their weight class in any form of MMA or NHB match isn't really thinking too hard about the future.

You wanna have a throw down, your crew whatever, i'm always ready my friend...get your 155-170 poud fighters ready and i'll be more than happy to bang gloves...as long as its done respectfully...and i'll be more than happy to bring up some fighters to match your heavy weights as well.

Peace and respect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't saying...the only reason Ray was better was because of size, because I also mentioned that you had sick counters to all my punches. I came in blazing and you rightfully countered my punches beautifully. You shut me down because all I could do was thai kick you. Size wise while I was on the bottom I was overwhelmed and honestly couldn't move and eventually you did get the lock on me. So if I insulted you or made it seem like I was just saying you did better because of weight, that is not what I ment. I simply meant that I was intimidated to exchange with you because of the weight in your punches, especially with the head shot you gave me.

In the end though, size does matter, especially in NHB fights. I had a great time and you had some sick moves that I would love to figure out how to get around...such as that open/closed door techniques you were showing. The first exchange we did have...in the beginning, i was throwing a jab and you were sizing me up, not really active...I then came in with a 1-2 and you fired back and landed a couple of shots while i was back peddling away from your flurry. You caught me a couple of times, and then towards the end where I came in with some punches you landed a really heavy right to my jaw which is why I tied up with you and you got the victory on the floor.

Would I fight you again? Of course, I think I can only learn and develop my skills fighting a person as strong as yourself with the abilities you had. Would I fight you at full force? No way...i'm not an idiot...i'm a hell of a lot more likely to get knocked into a coma by you than the other 2 fighters.

If I offended you, I apologize...I never had any intention of making it seem like OH RAY HAD NO SKILL, HE WAS JUST BIGGER THAN ME, that was not it. Cause to be quite honest...you impressed me with your tai chi techniques and I in fact definitely want to get together with you again and just build off of the experiences.

<just to clear things up incase it sounded like I was saying ray was all size and nothing else. My apologies if it came out that way.>

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBKickboxer
    ^Whining....Um...I have no problem banging out with anyone, but, being that it is unsancioned and pretty much held like a fight club bout i'm not ready to have my face mangled and for what...an event that is just to have fun and learn with one another. Put a prize up, a belt, whatever, you wanna bang out at full force i'm down...i've done that plenty of times.
    Oh ... okay, let me get this straight ... according to you it is not a good thing to go with serious contact UNLESS it's tied to something as "precious" as some fukwit title ... the name of which most likely changes from year to year or is only recognized on all of ONE little area. Okay ... if that's your standard ... enjoy.

Secondly, big deal that you guys have smaller guys banging it out with people that outweigh them by 70 pounds, ...
    Agreed ... it is a "big deal" ... 70 pounds of more of big deal.

that's pretty retarted on the smaller guys parts. Yeah, he's got balls for doing it, ...
    Actually, held my own just fine ... thanks for the concern and all. As for what is gained ... direct, personal experience of "what is and what is not" in just such a setting ... you know ... real World where there is a distinct lack of "weight classes" and all that other icky admin stuff.

but in the end, anyone who fights outside of their weight class in any form of MMA or NHB match isn't really thinking too hard about the future.
    Well ... that certainly is one opinion. Last time I checked NO ONE lived in a MMA or NHB environment ... I mean ... even Gym Rats have to venture into that big, bold, scary place known as ... The Real World. Hell of time to discover you can't front leg sweep someone who has a considerable weight - size - reach advantage ... but you suit yourself.

You wanna have a throw down, your crew whatever, i'm always ready my friend...get your 155-170 poud fighters ready and i'll be more than happy to bang gloves...as long as its done respectfully...and i'll be more than happy to bring up some fighters to match your heavy weights as well.
    Way cool ... keep an eye on the Maryland Throwdown Thread. When the "Muther of All Mega TDs" post goes up ... jump right on it ... the more, the merrier.

Damn MODs ... a couple of you really ought to make this Summer's event ... it's shaping up to be a Monster. Now ... what other TD Crew is reasonably close to Maryland ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^So I came off a little retarded with my responses. Basically...all I was saying was that I thought it was just an event to get up and learn from one another...not bang out to knock your opponent unconcious kind of event. Forget a title...but lets say the thing with your team happens...full contact rules...to truly see who's better fighters...then cool, i'm going to train a hell of a lot harder and mentally prepare myself for MMA/NHB kind of fight.

I love to fight and will throw down. Will I fight a better opponent full force...sure...but I at least want the event to go down properly that if I do get leveled, i'm not laying on the floor out cold for 10 hours.

Ray is a heavy hitter with great technique and I was not prepared to bang out with him. He was a hell of a lot more prepared and focused than I was. Great counters...really heavy punches.

In a throw down against another crew...i'd rather fight in my weight class for the simple fact that i'm more likely to last and have a better over all game as supposed to fighting up in class.

I'm not trying to get nasty, make enemies, you seem cool and hopefully we can extend and build from one another and eventually get together and have a big throw down and see what happens.

Good luck with the one coming up...keep me posted man!

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 12:49pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a friend who I keep trying to drag to throwdowns that thinks boxing is all he needs in an MMA environment where kicks, and grappling is allowed.

I hope we can get this started every month, I have a busy schedule, so I don't make all of them and it was unfortunate that I couldn't make this one.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 1:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont believe I have any tournaments coming up until Febuary 26, so I've got plenty of time to make it to a throwdown between now and then (and I'll be happy to spar a boxer).

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/24/2005 1:29pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ray throws heavy blows (quick ones at that too) but its not because he want to beat the **** out of some poor guy who stepped into the ring with him. He genuinely wants to get better, and to dance around and play patty cake is a waste of time for what he organizes the throwdowns for. He wants to test his skills and improve them. I have no problem when he lays into me, because Im trying to do the same to him. Its not a grudge match or anything, and once we get done we shake hands and explain what it was we were using against each other.

Some people go to a throwdown and like to play light. Some will step it up a bit and put a little ass behind their shots. Some are going to throw hard. We should get a clip of him doing standup so people can appreciate how good it really is.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast