Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roly,
    The problem with one hook in and another out, is that if the guy starts to move to your back (i.e. my right hooks is in and he starts to move to my right), then I can't use the other hook to sweep him the other way. One of the brown belts at my club realised this the other night and said it was especially a problem when grappling heavier opponents. He said once he put his other hook in he had no more problems (and twice as many options).

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever side hook you have in, you must control not let your opponent be able to grab your knee. Control his hand on that side until you can get your underhook there. If you have one instep inside but let him have that hand free you can be sure an experienced grappler will force it down and take half guard.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 11:36pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that what roly is talking about is using the basic sweep from the butterfly position. In Brazil, Im told that its called the "4" guard and it isnt often referred to as butterfly.

The position where you have one hook in and the other leg kicks through underneath that leg to give you leverage to sweep your opponent over, as opposed to being flat on your back with one hook in and the other out (like halfway between half guard and full guard)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With one hook in one out, if he keeps moving to the side of the hook without pinning it down, you can switch to half-guard and then take his back, and he pretty much does all the work for you.

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have my right hook in and my right arm underhooking my opponent to sweep him to my left. If he sprawls on top of my hook, the wrong arm is underhooking him to use half-guard effectively - I would want my left arm underhooking, not the right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 1:30am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have been wrong before

johnnys > roly

but i dont seem to get passed using my "one hook in one hook out" method any more than "both hooks in" i generally try to keep his head down (grabbing his lapel/back of neck or something) so he cant get posture. once they posture up i usually abandon the hook and go for the "basic sweep" that gumby was talking about.

anyway i'll ask my instructor about it tomorrow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12