Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 6:54pm

Style: Kfu, Wc, Taiji, Mili comb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts Diet ??

I am a practising Chan Buddhist, however my Diet is unrelated to my religion and is based on informed decisions that rely on research (not religious dogma). For me as a martial artist the first step in the direction of nutrition for recovery and strength is a diet of unrefined organically grown whole foods. These are more nutrient dense than refined and processed foods. Also, conventional foods are commonly contaminated with herbicides, pesticides, and preservatives, all of which interfere with your ability to recover from training by overloading the liver, the internal organ most directly responsible for recovery from hard martial training.

Whole grains, fresh vegetables, beans, seeds, nuts, and fresh fruits of all promote improvements in health and fitness. Martial arts training relies primarily on glycogen stores for energy. Whole grains supply starch to replenish those stores, and they also provide essential fatty acids that are essential for rebuilding cells damaged by activity.

Training also increases oxidation reactions in the muscles and produces free radicals that can damage health. These free radicals are rendered harmless by antioxidants. Fresh dark green leafy vegetables (broccoli, collards, and kale, for example) should be a mainstay; these supply carotenoids, vitamins C and E, and other antioxidants. Vitamin C also is important for restoration of the damage done to connective tissue during training sessions.

Green leafy vegetables also supply some calcium and other minerals needed for repairing and strengthening blood, bones and connective tissues. Bright orange vegetables (such as carrots, winter squash, and sweet potatoes) also supply lots of carotenoids.

Soybean products and other beans provide lots of high-quality protein and some minerals necessary for repair and building of muscles, connective tissue, and bones. Seeds and nuts provide protein, essential fatty acids and minerals necessary for repair of cell damage. Fresh fruits can supply vitamin C, and some dried fruits supply iron for building blood.

Dairy products should be avoided; they are a burden to the immune system and hence reduce your ability to recover from hard work. If you eat animal products (I do not), choose very lean varieties of fish, poultry, and meat; a diet high in animal fat can reduce oxygen delivery to tissues, hindering your ability to recover from workouts.

Ideally, a diet containing plenty of unrefined foods would provide you with plenty of the nutrients you need for recovery and building superior strength, endurance, and flexibility. However, even if you purchase the highest quality organically grown plant foods available in markets today, you will need something extra.

Modern foods are lacking the quantity of nutrients necessary for maintenance and improvement of health and strength. To make up the deficiencies, and insure your ability to excel in the marital arts, you will have to fill in the gaps with a program of natural food supplements.

Human beings have been on earth for at least two million years. Up until about 15,000 years ago, agriculture was unknown. Hence, for more than 99 percent of the time people have been around, human beings gathered and hunted natural foods from the wild. Ore-agricultural people on earth – scientists call them “Palaeolithic,” In gathering and hunting wild foods, they put forth efforts comparable to or exceeding those of a martial artist in training. As a natural outcome of their lifestyle and diet, these natural people have skills, strength, flexibility, endurance, and muscularity comparable to a well-trained martial artist.

The wild foods these natural people eat are far more nutritious than any of the most nutrient dense, unrefined whole foods produced by farmers. Studies have shown that, when they are compared pound for pound to the foods produced by farmers, wild plant foods produced by farmers, wild plant foods contains 50% more protein and two-to-five times or more essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins. As a result, natives get from their plant foods alone a daily average of 440mg of Vitamin C (over eight times the RDA), 1800mg of calcium (over twice the RDA) and 93mg of iron (over 5 times the RDA). For comparison, the average person in Britain gets less than 70mg of Vitamin C, less than 800mg of calcium and less than 20mg of iron from his entire daily diet, including animal products. There are two primary reasons for this wide difference. First, the plants grown by farmers have been altered by human intervention. Through selective breeding, farmers have created plants that are docile, easy to grow, harvest, package and ship to markets, but lack strength, bold flavour and nutritional value. These are artificial foods, compared to their wild ancestors.

Secondly, the practice of agriculture depletes soils of minerals needed for producing healthy plant growth and nutrient dense foods. This is especially true of modern commercial agriculture based on the use of artificial fertilisers, which supply the soil with only two of the 50 or more minerals that may be essential for human health. Soil is richer and plants are healthier and more nutritious if farmers use composted manure (both animal and human) as a fertiliser.
    As early as 1936, Western agricultural scientists expressed concern about the mineral depletion of our soils and the foods grown on them. Nothing much has been done since that time, and over the past 60 years foods in Western markets have shown a steady decline in vitamin and mineral content. The foods available in modern supermarkets are just shadows of their natural, wild ancestors. One can get a better value by purchasing all organically grown foods, but even these are nutritionally empty compared to wild counterparts.

Numerous studies have shown that native people living on wild foods have health and strength far superior to that of people living on the foods grown by farmers. The degenerative diseases that plague modern society – heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, and obesity – are virtually unknown among natural people. Natives have been found to have levels of strength and endurance 50-to-100% greater than modern people.

The weakness and disease of modern people shows that our modern diet does not provide what we need for health and strength. Lack of essential nutrients will retard your martial development. If you want to realise your genetic potential for health, strength, flexibility and endurance, and excel in kung-fu, you’ll want to eat like a native. You can’t get everything you need from ordinary foods, so it is important to utilise unusual foods and good broad-spectrum supplements. So here it is, laid out for all to see, the basic reasons for the study of diet. Hopefully this insight will cause all students to study further on the subject

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just eat the people I beat up.

PL

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? No beer?
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateus
    I am a practising Chan Buddhist, however my Diet is unrelated to my religion and is based on informed decisions that rely on research (not religious dogma). For me as a martial artist the first step in the direction of nutrition for recovery and strength is a diet of unrefined organically grown whole foods. These are more nutrient dense than refined and processed foods. Also, conventional foods are commonly contaminated with herbicides, pesticides, and preservatives, all of which interfere with your ability to recover from training by overloading the liver, the internal organ most directly responsible for recovery from hard martial training.

Whole grains, fresh vegetables, beans, seeds, nuts, and fresh fruits of all promote improvements in health and fitness. Martial arts training relies primarily on glycogen stores for energy. Whole grains supply starch to replenish those stores, and they also provide essential fatty acids that are essential for rebuilding cells damaged by activity.

Training also increases oxidation reactions in the muscles and produces free radicals that can damage health. These free radicals are rendered harmless by antioxidants. Fresh dark green leafy vegetables (broccoli, collards, and kale, for example) should be a mainstay; these supply carotenoids, vitamins C and E, and other antioxidants. Vitamin C also is important for restoration of the damage done to connective tissue during training sessions.

Green leafy vegetables also supply some calcium and other minerals needed for repairing and strengthening blood, bones and connective tissues. Bright orange vegetables (such as carrots, winter squash, and sweet potatoes) also supply lots of carotenoids.

Soybean products and other beans provide lots of high-quality protein and some minerals necessary for repair and building of muscles, connective tissue, and bones. Seeds and nuts provide protein, essential fatty acids and minerals necessary for repair of cell damage. Fresh fruits can supply vitamin C, and some dried fruits supply iron for building blood.

Dairy products should be avoided; they are a burden to the immune system and hence reduce your ability to recover from hard work. If you eat animal products (I do not), choose very lean varieties of fish, poultry, and meat; a diet high in animal fat can reduce oxygen delivery to tissues, hindering your ability to recover from workouts.

Ideally, a diet containing plenty of unrefined foods would provide you with plenty of the nutrients you need for recovery and building superior strength, endurance, and flexibility. However, even if you purchase the highest quality organically grown plant foods available in markets today, you will need something extra.

Modern foods are lacking the quantity of nutrients necessary for maintenance and improvement of health and strength. To make up the deficiencies, and insure your ability to excel in the marital arts, you will have to fill in the gaps with a program of natural food supplements.

Human beings have been on earth for at least two million years. Up until about 15,000 years ago, agriculture was unknown. Hence, for more than 99 percent of the time people have been around, human beings gathered and hunted natural foods from the wild. Ore-agricultural people on earth – scientists call them “Palaeolithic,” In gathering and hunting wild foods, they put forth efforts comparable to or exceeding those of a martial artist in training. As a natural outcome of their lifestyle and diet, these natural people have skills, strength, flexibility, endurance, and muscularity comparable to a well-trained martial artist.

The wild foods these natural people eat are far more nutritious than any of the most nutrient dense, unrefined whole foods produced by farmers. Studies have shown that, when they are compared pound for pound to the foods produced by farmers, wild plant foods produced by farmers, wild plant foods contains 50% more protein and two-to-five times or more essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins. As a result, natives get from their plant foods alone a daily average of 440mg of Vitamin C (over eight times the RDA), 1800mg of calcium (over twice the RDA) and 93mg of iron (over 5 times the RDA). For comparison, the average person in Britain gets less than 70mg of Vitamin C, less than 800mg of calcium and less than 20mg of iron from his entire daily diet, including animal products. There are two primary reasons for this wide difference. First, the plants grown by farmers have been altered by human intervention. Through selective breeding, farmers have created plants that are docile, easy to grow, harvest, package and ship to markets, but lack strength, bold flavour and nutritional value. These are artificial foods, compared to their wild ancestors.

Secondly, the practice of agriculture depletes soils of minerals needed for producing healthy plant growth and nutrient dense foods. This is especially true of modern commercial agriculture based on the use of artificial fertilisers, which supply the soil with only two of the 50 or more minerals that may be essential for human health. Soil is richer and plants are healthier and more nutritious if farmers use composted manure (both animal and human) as a fertiliser.
    As early as 1936, Western agricultural scientists expressed concern about the mineral depletion of our soils and the foods grown on them. Nothing much has been done since that time, and over the past 60 years foods in Western markets have shown a steady decline in vitamin and mineral content. The foods available in modern supermarkets are just shadows of their natural, wild ancestors. One can get a better value by purchasing all organically grown foods, but even these are nutritionally empty compared to wild counterparts.

Numerous studies have shown that native people living on wild foods have health and strength far superior to that of people living on the foods grown by farmers. The degenerative diseases that plague modern society – heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, and obesity – are virtually unknown among natural people. Natives have been found to have levels of strength and endurance 50-to-100% greater than modern people.

The weakness and disease of modern people shows that our modern diet does not provide what we need for health and strength. Lack of essential nutrients will retard your martial development. If you want to realise your genetic potential for health, strength, flexibility and endurance, and excel in kung-fu, you’ll want to eat like a native. You can’t get everything you need from ordinary foods, so it is important to utilise unusual foods and good broad-spectrum supplements. So here it is, laid out for all to see, the basic reasons for the study of diet. Hopefully this insight will cause all students to study further on the subject
    what the **** is a "natural" person? you're romanticizing the primitive. your "natural" person barely exists anymore. and where they do, the fucking life expectancy is like 30 and they're riddled with disease. in places where everyone eats twinkies, people live to their 70s and piss out more nutrients in a day than some poor toothless worm-riddled dude with scurvy living in some backwater jungle eats in a lifetime. your disgust with the concept of modern belies an inability to cope with real life. you're a silly hippie and you should peddle your goofy commie unscientific asswad ideas somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, "Natural People" are stronger and in better shape because they are able to spend more time in front of televisions and working their desk-jobs because of their better "natural" diets. Yeah, it's a good thing there are no other factors influencing their health than their diet, otherwise I may have drawn some conclusion about the pollutant-free air and water, too.

Just as well, the industrialized world will soon be dumping our mercury-ridden waste electronics and soiled disposable diapers on them wherever they are and then paying their native asses to hand-disassemble it for the worthwhile materials that we'll sell to them so they can be modern.
    "KI water is available on request.($20+ donation suggested)."

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 8:59pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EAT MEAT AND TAKE STEROIDS. ROOOOAAAAAR! I AM MAN!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 9:52pm

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his post should be read, it does have some good stuff in there. if you eat like that it will improve your game. I am on the juice right now and truth be told, I think it just makes you a lame lump of flesh. (I have somewhat legit reasons to be on them) - I don't like them though, mainly because it makes you a bloated lump of crap.
    this post is actually inspiring. everyone here pushed each other to be bigger stronger faster - it's good to know that MA should effect (in a positive manner) other aspects of your life. I am actually really thankful I read this post - good stuff

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    10/16/2005 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateus
    Even though there is a difference in the level of nutrients in organically (I hate the word organic in this context) grown food and traditional farmed food, the differences are slight and likely unimportant. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic...re_nutritious)

Your liver has nothing to do with muscle or cardiovascular recovery. For a list of liver functions see. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver#Physiology)

This is not entirely true. Nuts and legumes for example are extremely high in saturated fat and calories (mostly resulting from the high fat content). A cup of almonds, for example has over 350 calories and nearly 15% of your daily recommend allowance of saturated fat. Sunflower seed is an example of a seed that is high in saturated fat. They are healthy, but so is pretty much everything if its eaten in healthy proportions in the scope of a balanced diet. A balanced diet which can include non-organic food. Fresh vegetables are excellent for you, but they don't have to be organic for you to see any benefit.

Oxygen free radicals are byproducts of many of the bodies natural chemical reactions. While its true that they can be increased by environmental sources, such as smoking or drinking, its unlikely that you're going to become unhealthy from the amount produced by training. Furthermore, there's no real proof that anti-oxident carotenoids provide any real benefit. (http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc39.html)

Milk and dairy products (which you later condemn) also supply calcium and a high level of excellent proteins needed for repairing and strengthening the bones and connective tissues. However, its certainly true that fresh vegetables are good for you. There's no argument there and virtually everyone in the developed world could do with more of them.

Soy protein is actually one of the worst sources of protein that someone looking to recover and build muscle can intake. Recent research shows that soy products increase estrogen levels which is quite bad in terms of muscle recovery and gain.(http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/11/2957) (author's note: if someone has a better article than this, I'd appreciate it. this is the best I could find on short notice) Seeds and nuts are a good source of protein for building muscle, but not the best. For that you need to look at eggs, milk (or other dairy products), fish, red meat, and poultry. Whey and cassien protein are the two types of protein that you would like to injest the most of for building and recovering muscle.

Diary products are excellent for recovering from anabolic workouts. I don't even think its necessary to provide a source on this one. I agree that lean fat, white meat, is--in general--better than higher fat, red meat. However, there are benefits to a diet high in red meat. Creatine monohydrate is naturally occuring in red meat, for example. One pound of beef contains approximately two grams of creatine monohydrate. (http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../faq/faq1.htm)

Your diet does not provide you with strength. It facilitates the growth of it, but eating properly will not make you stronger. It will not increase your flexibility. It may increase your endurance, but you will see much better increases if you work out on a regular basis.

Modern foods are lacking the quantity of nutrients necessary for maintenance and improvement of health and strength. To make up the deficiencies, and insure(sic) your ability to excel in the marital(sic) arts, you will have to fill in the gaps with a program of natural food supplements.
    This is not true. Suppliments can certainly be helpful, but a solid diet is far more important to establish first and foremost.

Also not true. The average lifespan of humans until the advent of agriculture was abysmal (again, I don't feel its necessary for a source here--but I could find one). Its unlikely that a paleolithic creature was significantly in better shape than a modern man. Their diets were by no means ideal and consisted of whatever they could get their hands on at the time. I doubt that a paleolithic man could outperform even an amateur modern man althlete in any test of physical fitness.

Sources?

Again, you're making some bold claims here. Sources?

Sources for the claim that "native peoples" are stronger than... non-native peoples? I don't believe it. Its true that people in third world countries don't suffer from heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, etc. Its also more likely that this is due to the fact that they don't have a life span long enough to make for a valid comparison.

The weakness and disease of modern people shows that our modern diet does not provide what we need for health and strength. Lack of essential nutrients will retard your martial development.
    I believe that this is true as well.

If you want to realise your genetic potential for health, strength, flexibility and endurance, and excel in kung-fu, you’ll want to eat like a native.
    I believe this is entirely wrong and did my best to demonstrate why above.

You can’t get everything you need from ordinary foods, so it is important to utilise unusual foods and good broad-spectrum supplements. So here it is, laid out for all to see, the basic reasons for the study of diet. Hopefully this insight will cause all students to study further on the subject
    It is important for any athlete to be at least an amateur dietician.
    Last edited by Samfoo; 10/17/2005 12:22pm at .

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 5:21am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, pwnage

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 12:48pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red meat has some of the highest concentrations of creatine that can be found in foods. Dont try to tell me that its not going to help you recover- eating a hamburger when you get home (homemade, not that McD's ****) is going to help a hell of a lot more than a bowl of pasta.

Fat also promotes muscle growth. You point out that for long periods of time, humans ate plants, berries, and other vegetables and fruits. If you're studying this you should also note that our ancestors were rather small in stature BECAUSE of this. As we adopted a diet that was higher in fat and protein, our bodies began to grow and our brains developed further.

Fat and protein heavily promote muscle growth and neuron (brain) development.

Try the Atikins diet =)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast