Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer:
    I have NO experience in SPM.
    I do have in Haung Gar. some in WC and even in Pak Mei, that said:

That truly sucked ass.
    Irregardless of the fact that I DON'T know if the moves were correct or the sequence of moves were correct, I DO know what the moves are suppose to look like.
    He was off-balance more than antone is allowed be be while doing any form.
    His torso was out of sync with his movement.
    He had very little or NO lower body delivery.
    His stepping was atrocios and awkward.
    His "sunken chest" was nothing of the sort.
    He has no notion of power delivery.
    His arm positioning with the srikes/ blocks and grabs was truly at a beginners level.

As for the staff work, only display worse than that was Franco Nero doing the nunchaku in Enter the Ninja.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 7:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Disclaimer: I have NO experience in SPM
    And universal constants must be present no matter what the system - style or method. If a person can generate real power, maintain balance and trasition then they are just flapping - floundering about.

I hadn't seen that video clip in over a year and forgot just how lousy the guy really is. If a person can't "make it happen in air" then they have absolutely no rational basis for thinking they can do it in real World. Hell, the guy even forgot what he was doing a few times ... nice "focus" ...

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His Kuen sucked ass. No Whole Body power he was as segmented as a jacobs ladder.

Nice wicked wide stance for all to kick your nuts into your throat as well.

Oh well. People like to copy people and not learn the concepts behind the kuen to.

Dale

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    His Kuen sucked ass. No Whole Body power he was as segmented as a jacobs ladder.

Nice wicked wide stance for all to kick your nuts into your throat as well.

Oh well. People like to copy people and not learn the concepts behind the kuen to. Dale
    Right on point Bro. His "template" was a fukwit and he has followed suit. Horrible **** and it's a good thing these wankers are confined to bumfuknowhere Newcastle, UK. The disease can't spread all that much.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    BFM - The audio edit works on so many levels. Good job! :notworthy
    If only I could do that stuff.....I was thinking House of Pain, "Jump Around."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 8:53am

Style: SPM + Kalaripayyatu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the insightful posts Steve and JFS, I find them useful to take into account in my own SPM training.

SPM is a great art but like any art how it is trained / taught will determine how effective a person will be in a fight. I myself trained in an old fashion way of pre-set chongs, forms, strengthening exercises, san sau and so on. It lacked the application of what we were doing and sparring etc and i was never convinced that in a fight I would just manifest into a fighter….turned out I was more robotic than anything else and the elements of application / movement / free flowing / adapting and so on just wasn’t present enough.

I can relate to what Steve and JFS post and my training is a lot different now and incorporates a lot more application, sparring, structure, movement and so much more. It is more practical now but still adheres to the principles, basics, forms, 2 man chongs and so on. Practical application is so important, otherwise, as JFS puts it…you are nothing more than a form faerie.

I find the forms very productive in Chow Gar and when I train them I try to visualise the applications, study the movements and my body structure. I have found that certain forms (i.e Saam Bo Gin) when trained become like a book to the practitioner and as you train and progress, you become aware of new chapters and it becomes a case of feeling your development and bringing all the elements of together. I presume this is the same for the other families of SPM?

In my limited experience the more you train forms, chongs, sparring, applications you learn and find out things about yourself mentally / physically. You feel it and having a Sifu there to see you, direct you, train you, give you pointers and correct you greatly helps. You start to notice things, ribs, stance, elbows, positioning etc. It makes me want to train more, discover more.

http://www.rthk.org.hk/special/invi...artialart07.asx

I believe this is a Chu Gar SPM master.

Quick hello and regards to Dale Dugas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 9:52am

Style: isshinryu googlefu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched the vid. I'm a Jap MA noob, but even I can see that guy has no power from his center. He reminds me of me :). Until I understood where my power should come from ( not my arms ).

Hell, it looks like me, trying to remember a kata.

ez

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was...strange. That reminded me a bit of my Praying Mantis training (McDojo, basically forms), specially the knee "strike" (or was it a defense? not quite sure).

Anyway, yes, even I can say that his torso is entirely disconnected from his arms, and frankly, it doesn´t seem to be too connected to the ground to begin with.

Notice than, on the beginning of the video, whenever he turns to another direction the video is cut and re-started? I bet the guy lost his balance majorly on those occasions, and they had to edit that.

So even though he moved his fists in a manly, warrior-like manner, I´d say he couldn´t generate much power, not at all.

I would have said something about keeping the legs wide apart that way, but JFS already addressed the issue of footwork, and how SPM does not include footwork on forms (or at least on that form).

In any case, that was interesting. If you could give us a video where you were doing the form yourself it would be much appreciated, JFS; and you were right, even people with relatively little experience can tell when someone lacks power and balance. So thanks.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 10:30am

Style: isshinryu googlefu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    In any case, that was interesting. If you could give us a video where you were doing the form yourself it would be much appreciated, JFS; and you were right, even people with relatively little experience can tell when someone lacks power and balance. So thanks.
    Yes, thanks JFS. But can we see the "right" way now ? :)

Thanks,

ez

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    10/31/2005 12:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kismet, link no work.
    Give to Haiti relief. text "haiti' to 90999
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TeacherMonkey?feature=mhee