Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 9:45am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Deadly Arts" on FitTV

Anybody else catch this show? I stumbled upon in about 5 or 10 minutes in, and it seemed interesting at least. This Canadian karate/aikido blackbelt (Josette Normandeau) traveled to Brazil with her partner in the MAs to learn Capoeria from the masters. Not knowing much on the topic, I found this pretty interesting. The training never showed sparring, the closest thing was the roda, but it was really pretty anyway, so I didn't terribly care.

I am pretty sure this is a preexisting series that discovery just picked up a few episodes for. The Capoeria episode is on again a few times in the near future, but what interests me much more is that in one episode she travels to thailand to learn muay thai. I'd also be interested in the karate episode where she travels to Okinawa, but it says something about her perfecting her kata...groan.

http://search.discovery.com/search?p...&go.x=0&go.y=0

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen it .It very nicely done for a show that's on a budget.There' is not Ifghting persay but on her trip to Thailand she (Josette Normandeau) does go a Muay training gym and you do get to see some competition sparring.I did enjoy watching the Aikido episode.When you do watch, pay attention to how the highest ranking sempai treats Normandeau.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 3:04pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was series originally shown on National Geographic. I have the Muay Thai episode. Josette goes to a couple of gyms ( i think Ajarn Chai's?) and a fight featuring kids. She also visits a Krabi Krabong master. It was only about an hour long, so not very in depth, basically a quick overview for average joe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 7:02pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FitTV is re-airing the MT episode (tho TV guide sez its supposed to be the Savate ep) right now. They usually repeat it around 11pm/12am.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 7:45pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty good show.

Posted On:
    10/30/2005 7:45am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't sit through the Karate and Capoeria episodes; too much BS to choke on. The Thailand ep last night rawked, though. Krabi Krabong was wicked cool. I need to order the Dog Brother's tape on that style.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Hack!!

Josset is what we call in the martial arts world a "serial martial artist" They are the worst kind because they don't take the time to learn one art thus making their skills very bad. At the beginning of each show they say Josset has 25 years of martial arts experience. I've seen people like her they hop from club to club expecting to be a master in a year and when that doesn't happen they get frustrated and hop to the next club until they find someone that will give them a black belt in a few months because they paid the 2000$ fee. They don't take the time to learn the basics and they want to reach the high levels of a master within just a few months or in her case with the shows in a few days! If you notice in every show her and her partner take advantage of the kindness of the real masters and practically beg them to learn advanced techniques. From what I saw she doesn't even know the basics of the martial arts she is trying out. In the show about the Indian martial art she said it took many years to even start using steal weapons but by the end of the show she was using them WTF?? Like I said she begs and pleads to learn what the masters learn skipping the basic techniques it take to learn these arts. If she only stuck to documenting the arts by not participating in them that would have been cool but she is doing something that is dangerous and sends the wrong message to others that its ok to skip the basics and go right to the advance techniques, which can potentially cause injury to ones self.

What she should do is stick to learning the basics of each art that she doesn't have experience in and only video tape the advance techniques. Josset should stop and think! What I would have done is get real experienced martial artists that know what they are doing in their respective art to go and train with these masters. Josset is a hack that needs to be stoped.
    Last edited by squirrelstyle; 12/25/2005 9:59pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well that was a deranged rant.

the muay thai, capoeira and savate ones are good. the rest are total boring bullshit. josette is a fucking terrible martial artist, she has the grace of an amputee with downs.