1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

U.S. Olympic Committee To Proceed With Decertifying U.S. Taekwondo Union

by - U.S. Olympic Committee ()

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 29, 2003

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) announced today that it is proceeding with the process of decertifying the U.S. Taekwondo Union (USTU) as the National Governing Body for the sport of taekwondo.

At its October 18 meeting in Cleveland, the USOC Board of Directors approved a recommendation made by the Membership and Credentials Committee to proceed in decertifying the USTU – a process that involves revoking the USTU’s membership in the U.S. Olympic Committee and removing its designation as the National Governing Body for the sport. In the days since, the USOC has attempted to work out a remediation plan with the USTU for the governance and management of taekwondo that would leave the USTU as the National Governing Body. Earlier today, the USTU Executive Committee, led by President Sang Lee, rejected those efforts. As a result, the USOC will continue moving forward with the decertification process.

"It is unfortunate that the leadership of the U.S. Taekwondo Union has rejected the remediation plan offered by the USOC and has failed to effectively confront the problems facing the organization,” said USOC Chief of Sport Performance Jim Scherr. “We regret having to take these steps, but we are forced to do so based upon the clear lack of resolve that has been shown by the current USTU leadership.

“We intend to move quickly and aggressively through this process. However, we will take all steps necessary to ensure that the interests of the athletes are in no way harmed or compromised,” added Scherr.

U.S. Olympic Committee auditors have determined that the USTU’s financial and managerial capabilities are not adequate to properly fulfill the responsibilities associated with being a National Governing Body. Further, the USTU has historically shown an inability to effectively manage its operations and the organization’s financial records do not meet acceptable financial standards.

The USOC has audited the USTU’s accounting for USOC funding eight times in 11 years and has repeatedly noted breaches in internal controls and adopted policies. Since 1992, the USTU has had to repay $244,620 in USOC funding due to unsubstantiated or inappropriate expenditures. Since 1997, the USTU has had four executive directors and five finance directors. The USTU currently does not have a finance director.

Most recently, the USOC was informed that the USTU has failed to make scheduled support payments to eligible athletes.

Based upon the rejection by the USTU Executive Committee of the remediation plan offered by the USOC, and in keeping with the recommendation of the USOC Membership and Credentials Committee that was approved by the USOC Board of Directors, the following measures will immediately be implemented:

1. A formal complaint against the USTU will be filed with the USOC Executive Committee, which is the necessary next step in moving forward with decertification. The USOC is preparing to complete the decertification process in a matter of weeks. Once the process is complete, the USOC will manage the sport in the United States, select all international teams, and oversee the provision of benefits and services, without interruption, to taekwondo athletes and coaches;

2. The USOC began halting base funding payments to the USTU in January 2003 and will continue to do so;

3. There has been no interruption in the performance funding provided directly by the USOC to eligible taekwondo athletes. This funding will continue, without interruption, and payments will be made directly to eligible taekwondo athletes;

4. The USOC will use all available means to seek the immediate repayment of the approximately $206,000 the USTU currently owes the USOC;

5. Should the USTU be decertified before a scheduled national qualifying tournament in November, the USOC will manage that event;

6. Because of the apparent financial mismanagement of the USTU, the USOC is concerned that current assets be safeguarded and utilized only in accordance with proper accounting policies and acceptable financial procedures, and for the benefit of taekwondo athletes. The USOC will again be requesting assurances from the USTU that those assets not be diverted for the personal benefit of any individual associated with the USTU and will be utilized only for the benefit of athlete programs approved by the USOC. The USOC had previously requested those assurances, but none were given;

7. Should the USTU be decertified, the USOC will reclaim the office space currently being used by the USTU at the U.S. Olympic Complex in Colorado Springs;

8. The USOC will seek the cooperation and assistance of the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) during this process and request that the WTF initiate decertification proceedings concerning the USTU's membership in the WTF;

9. The USOC will seek the immediate return of a vehicle provided to the USTU;

10. The USOC will continue to explore all other appropriate legal remedies to protect the interests of taekwondo athletes and the Olympic movement.

Members of the media:
    For more information, please contact USOC Media and Public Relations at (719) 866-4531.

http://www.usocpressbox.org/usoc/pre...7?OpenDocument

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. Losers.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makes me damn glad the USJA in Judo was not affiliated with the Olympics or the damn same thing would have happened there.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let's hope the trend continues and they ALL BURN!!!!

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time to get new patches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 11:37am

Style: TKD,JKD,Hsing-I,Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *rip* *down to the ground falls the one USTU patch on the old uniform*

and to think I competed in USTU tournaments 10 years ago...

let the tap-dancers burn!

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, that's like exactly what my Sabunim did... only on a smaller scale and it was our dojang. I hope the fuckers burn.